Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maradona RIP

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    The 2nd goal against England has been shown loads of times over the past couple of days ,and it's one of those goals you could never tire of watching. It's up there with Stevie's goal in Istanbul.
    They interviewed Reid about his 2nd goal. They just need to speak to the other half dozen that he made a complete fool of.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Yes I can watch that second goal again and again.

They've shown the first goal way too much, as usual. England aren't the only team whose World Cup hopes were dashed by a handball get over it already.
    There's a bit of a difference between being denied a place at a world cup, and potentially actually being denied winning a world cup.

The vast majority of people would feel equally as aggrieved if they were denied one of the biggest prizes/highest accolades going in any kind of similar circumstances. Those that say otherwise are either very, very forgiving, or a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    There's a bit of a difference between being denied a place at a world cup, and potentially actually being denied winning a world cup.

The vast majority of people would feel equally as aggrieved if they were denied one of the biggest prizes/highest accolades going in any kind of similar circumstances. Those that say otherwise are either very, very forgiving, or a liar.
    If people want to point the finger they should look at the officials for allowing it. If they had done their job right there is no "Hand of God". Had he scored that goal against another country we wouldn't still be discussing it 34 years on.
    Last edited by skyebo; 28th November 2020 at 07:15 PM.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

@Noodle it depends on expectations I suppose. If your country doesn't often qualify then it's a big prize just to get there, and gutting to miss out. If you think your country has a chance of winning the thing then you're just as gutted. It's all relative. I don't think England will ever win the World Cup so I find the 'if only' attitude a bit tiresome. Certainly not a champions mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    If people want to point the finger they should look at the officials for allowing it. If they had done their job right there is no "Hand of God". Had he scored that goal against another country we wouldn't still be discussing it 34 years on.
    The officials may have been incompetent, but they weren't the ones who knowingly cheated, and then went on to celebrate that ****ish act.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    @Noodle it depends on expectations I suppose. If your country doesn't often qualify then it's a big prize just to get there, and gutting to miss out. If you think your country has a chance of winning the thing then you're just as gutted. It's all relative. I don't think England will ever win the World Cup so I find the 'if only' attitude a bit tiresome. Certainly not a champions mentality.
    As an expert on the subject I can tell you for a fact that individual acts can have a permanently devastating impact on how things pan out for you, irrespective of how much effort you put in thereafter, or how much you want things to be different.

Sliding doors and all that.

The officials may have been incompetent, but they weren't the ones who knowingly cheated, and then went on to celebrate that ****ish act.
    If one of our players scored a goal like that, you wouldn't mind as long as it counted.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    If one of our players scored a goal like that, you wouldn't mind as long as it counted.
    Actually I would. How I view us, our players, and the things we/they achieve is very much affected by the things we/they do and how we/they conduct themselves.

Actually I would. How I view us, our players, and the things we/they achieve is very much affected by the things we/they do and how we/they conduct themselves.
    Same here mate. I don’t mind winning due to slightly dubious behaviour, (going down slightly easy to get a soft penalty), but I would rather not win than be outright cheats.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!