Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Cavani Should Face the same ban as Suarez

Nothing will happen. Let’s be honest, Suarez was hated Long before the incident with Evra. The authorities just couldn’t wait to hang him out to dry. This will get brushed under the carpet before the week is out.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    It’s exactly the same term that Suarez used and he excused the use of the term in exactly the same way as Cavani so why the difference in ban length?
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate here just a little bit and push back just a tad on this.

Yes, it was the same word (or a derivation of it, rather than the exact same word), but are you really certain that it was used in exactly the dame way?
    By this I mean, what was the context?

Let's not forget the exchange between Suarez and Evra was in the context of a heated confrontation between the two and the culmination of a back-and-forth that had been going on between them throughout that game.
    There was no way, in retrospect, to have painted it as nothing but meaningless or friendly or "harmless banter" between two opposing players in the field - in much the way some had tried to paint it as - and insofar as Suarez tried to claim that it's normally a term of endearment in South America (and yes, it is), that argument just could not fly in the context of where and when he was using it then.

Further to that is the fact that Suarez and Evra are of different cultural and national dispositions with both coming from countries with different histories in racial issues - as well as different social contexts for racial relationships in the present.
    Even being generous to Suarez and the culture from which he came (which Cavani also happens to come from being his countryman), he should have been sensitive or not more sensible in his use of that term to someone from a different country that has racial issues and with both in another country that has fraught racial issues itself. (South America has it's own racial issues and was the second largest epicenter of the Atlantic Slave trade, but the fact that the term can be and is used as a term of endearment there whereas it never would be in most other parts of the world, should tell you that they've come to a different way of dealing with those issues)

Now coming back to the Cavani situation, I'll fully disclose that I have no idea what the exchange was like between himself and the other person (hence why I asked for the context).
    If it was not in the midst of a confrontation and was indeed just "banter" between two people of (South American) Latin descent wherein that term can't be perceived as being an insult or a slur, then you can't argue that it was the same at all like the Suarez and Evra situation. And likewise I don't believe the punishment should match .....just because........"Manc".

Society has to have higher standards than that, I believe.

I think the League in general mishandled that situation (the Suarez-Evra situation) as did our own club, just like I believe Evra (harmfully) over-played the victim bit in it in a way that's really harmful to the wider fight against racism.
    Likewise I also believe a lot of people over-reacted with the Silva-Mendy situation last year when he was banned for 3 games, since we all knew the context of that one as well and it definitely was not an argument nor said in spite or malice.

There are situations where people and players are racially abused and where the racist perpetrators should be banned and buried beneath the dirt. But going after "soft" targets just because you're worried about the perception or backlash if you're not being seen to be equally tough on all - I (personally) believe is just more harmful in the overall cause than helpful.

Nuance is necessary.
    Context matters.

Silva should have been punished, but more for ignorance than for malice or ill-intent.
    Perhaps Cavani should be punished and banned too if it's uncovered that it was in the midst of a heated argument and he threw it in there to belittle the other person (in which case you don't get more racist than that)
    And perhaps it might turn out that while the exchange was fairly non-belligerent and innocuous, he should STILL be punished but more for his ignorance in not knowing how harmful the term is in a different context in which he know is in, and even then the punishment should fit the crime, and not some (long held "grudge") standard of punishing everyone equally, regardless, just because the word was used, or just because he's a Manc (player) and now is the time to get them back.

This is a bigger issue than that.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

One was instagram and one was real life

One could of said it in such a way..... etc etc

Can't really compare them otherwise 10 million people just in the UK would be arrested for hate-speach

Can't compare it all, just because klopps being whiney lately doesn't mean everyone has to join the bandwagon

Boring Zzzzzzzzz

so unfair blalblblabla so is life (not aimed at you just in general last few weeks all been crying)

Suarez 100% said it in a angry offensive way because he's a cunt
    Last edited by Kev0909; 30th November 2020 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    He will get a one match ban like Silva at Man_city
    Suspect it will be this.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Let’s just see how this one pans out. But I think the stench of outright hypocrisy will waft straight down the East Lancs from Manchester.

Cavani has been pulled for using exactly the same term used by Suarez to Patrice Evra.

He apparently wrote “Gracias Negrito”, in an exchange on Instagram.
    Cavani believed he was using the term,commonly used in South America, in a friendly way.

Now that is precisely what Suarez said but Utd insisted it was racist and he should be punished and Suarez was fined £40,000 and banned for 8 matches.

According to the Daily Star he could be looking at a 3 game ban. Straight away what a shock, Suarez 8 games, Utd player facing 3 games.

Whether you believe it’s a racist remark whether intended or accidental, a president has been set and he should be banned for 8 games and fined.

You just know it won’t pan out like that though.
    Thanks pal for bringing this up, be interesting to see how an increasingly woke society justifies anything less than a greater punishment

Personally I'd rather see no punishment for Cavani and would like to see people accept different cultures. The cultural insensitivity shown to Suarez was disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate here just a little bit and push back just a tad on this.

Yes, it was the same word (or a derivation of it, rather than the exact same word), but are you really certain that it was used in exactly the dame way?
    By this I mean, what was the context?

Let's not forget the exchange between Suarez and Evra was in the context of a heated confrontation between the two and the culmination of a back-and-forth that had been going on between them throughout that game.
    There was no way, in retrospect, to have painted it as nothing but meaningless or friendly or "harmless banter" between two opposing players in the field - in much the way some had tried to paint it as - and insofar as Suarez tried to claim that it's normally a term of endearment in South America (and yes, it is), that argument just could not fly in the context of where and when he was using it then.

Further to that is the fact that Suarez and Evra are of different cultural and national dispositions with both coming from countries with different histories in racial issues - as well as different social contexts for racial relationships in the present.
    Even being generous to Suarez and the culture from which he came (which Cavani also happens to come from being his countryman), he should have been sensitive or not more sensible in his use of that term to someone from a different country that has racial issues and with both in another country that has fraught racial issues itself. (South America has it's own racial issues and was the second largest epicenter of the Atlantic Slave trade, but the fact that the term can be and is used as a term of endearment there whereas it never would be in most other parts of the world, should tell you that they've come to a different way of dealing with those issues)

Now coming back to the Cavani situation, I'll fully disclose that I have no idea what the exchange was like between himself and the other person (hence why I asked for the context).
    If it was not in the midst of a confrontation and was indeed just "banter" between two people of (South American) Latin descent wherein that term can't be perceived as being an insult or a slur, then you can't argue that it was the same at all like the Suarez and Evra situation. And likewise I don't believe the punishment should match .....just because........"Manc".

Society has to have higher standards than that, I believe.

I think the League in general mishandled that situation (the Suarez-Evra situation) as did our own club, just like I believe Evra (harmfully) over-played the victim bit in it in a way that's really harmful to the wider fight against racism.
    Likewise I also believe a lot of people over-reacted with the Silva-Mendy situation last year when he was banned for 3 games, since we all knew the context of that one as well and it definitely was not an argument nor said in spite or malice.

There are situations where people and players are racially abused and where the racist perpetrators should be banned and buried beneath the dirt. But going after "soft" targets just because you're worried about the perception or backlash if you're not being seen to be equally tough on all - I (personally) believe is just more harmful in the overall cause than helpful.

Nuance is necessary.
    Context matters.

Silva should have been punished, but more for ignorance than for malice or ill-intent.
    Perhaps Cavani should be punished and banned too if it's uncovered that it was in the midst of a heated argument and he threw it in there to belittle the other person (in which case you don't get more racist than that)
    And perhaps it might turn out that while the exchange was fairly non-belligerent and innocuous, he should STILL be punished but more for his ignorance in not knowing how harmful the term is in a different context in which he know is in, and even then the punishment should fit the crime, and not some (long held "grudge") standard of punishing everyone equally, regardless, just because the word was used, or just because he's a Manc (player) and now is the time to get them back.

This is a bigger issue than that.
    Fuck off pal with this load of nonsense.

Pal is an affectionate term that can be inserted into a fuck off pal frame.
    It doesn't make the word pal change into a hate crime.

Suarez was hung out to dry for a small matter and as pointed out Evra himself has run foul of his own sensitivities which imo were put on for malicious intent. A vindictive little shit.
    Great left back in his time though.

Also Milner its precedent and unlikely Cavani was unaware of the shitfest involving Suarez.

It’s exactly the same term that Suarez used and he excused the use of the term in exactly the same way as Cavani so why the difference in ban length?
    Suarez said "negro" (pronounced "neh-gro") on one occasion, if his version of events is accurate.

"Negrito" is a, for want of a better word, "softer" word again. One is a physical characteristic descriptive (which in South American culture seems to be "fine") whilst the other is a touch more endearing despite having the same basic meaning.

A comparison I could make in terms of how it might be viewed through an English-speaking lens would be a couple where ("Negrito" comparison) a fella who has been with his wife for 30 years with a pre-established, banterish relationship might affectionately grab the Missus' love handles and say "my chunky Muffin" which, in their relationship context, is a term of endearment (even if it might go down a stinker with other people and even though he is basically calling her fat) whereas "Negro" would simply be the word "fat" - I have friends who would call THEMSELVES fat and I would say "fat" as a descriptive in certain contexts, but we all know that referring to someone as "fat" is, at best, open to interpretation and at worst (and often used this way at school age or amongst arseholes) packs a malicious punch.

So to use this comparison (again, I know it isn't the best) imagine referring to a woman you were in a competitive environment with (playing Chess, both trying to grab the last of an item in the Supermarket) and busting out the "fat" word - it's only going to be taken one way no matter what your intent, whatever your thoughts on that are, versus the friendly pseudo-ridicule of your curvy Missus who is very comfortable with having an extra slice of Pizza rather than hitting the Gym and pokes fun at herself for it. You might think (for example) that it's better to let people know they are far as tough love so they exercise more/eat better/live longer and be genuinely using the word from a place of good wishes as you hate seeing your mate out of breath, but that isn't going to matter to most folk, etc etc.

Given that Suarez himself said he used "negro" (excerpts from his book, referenced in the Guardian) it would suggest that "Negrito" came from somewhere else - perhaps even our PR team - though I truthfully have no desire to go back and analyse everything as it's a period our Club and fanbase could likely do with forgetting - I remember wincing when I saw that "Klanfield" newspaper article and not wanting to wear a Liverpool top for a few months in case it was taken to be a right-wing emblem for a bit by some of Northern Ireland's resident nutjobs that I wouldn't want to be associated with.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Fuck off pal with this load of nonsense.

Pal is an affectionate term that can be inserted into a fuck off pal frame.
    It doesn't make the word pal change into a hate crime.

Suarez was hung out to dry for a small matter and as pointed out Evra himself has run foul of his own sensitivities which imo were put on for malicious intent. A vindictive little shit.
    Great left back in his time though.
    Evra had been calling his mother a whore.. I've always thought it strange that he then became such a shrinking violet in response to a term that in Spanish is actually politically correct. People don't realise how the plasticity of English causes us to tie ourselves in knots enforcing the correct term. The recent example of the guy getting sacked - who was that again? - for referring to coloured people when people of colour is the new correct term comes to mind.

The Mendy and Silva scandal was amusing because they are best mates and Mendy actually agreed that he did look like that racist cartoon character (which he did). John Barnes came to their defence on the basis that we shouldn't get upset by cartoons of black people having big red lips, rather we should get used to the fact that big lips are part of black reality.

In all these difficulties, the thought that characters at the FA will be more generous to the needs of black people than Silva is to his best mate is ridiculous and part of the ongoing neurosis that focusing on race problems causes us all.