Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Cavani Should Face the same ban as Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Fair point. I understood that Colin Kaepernick's protest was kneeling to the US flag and anthem, to show respect with reservation, as opposed to turning his back or mooning etc.
    Exactly.
    The origin of taking the knee was to show that he had reservations about the blind allegiance to the flag and what the flag represents in what is perhaps the most racist country in the western world..

Seems moronic copycats are carrying on the racist abuse on social media. The only solution i can think off is to have posts moderated before the player/s get to view the messages..It will cost for someone to sit there and check messages. But Twitter or football clubs should pay for it. There maybe a slight delay in the person reading to receive the posts. But it would stop the comments getting through.
    Not everyone on twitter or any other social media out put would be able to have their messages moderator prior to them seeing them. theres 100s of millions of them happening every day. But it should be given to people who are at most risk of abuse. Its a shame that it has to happen at all. But such is some humans behaviour. its never 100% avoidable
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Exactly.
    The origin of taking the knee was to show that he had reservations about the blind allegiance to the flag and what the flag represents in what is perhaps the most racist country in the western world..
    Perhaps the UK is the most racist, I can't think of another state that covered up one races men raping another races girls, or the double standards in policing over BLM & WLM.

If we are only looking at anti-black racism perhaps Italy, Spain or even France could be considered more racist. I think Italy and Spain are worth considering more so than France

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Seems moronic copycats are carrying on the racist abuse on social media. The only solution i can think off is to have posts moderated before the player/s get to view the messages..It will cost for someone to sit there and check messages. But Twitter or football clubs should pay for it. There maybe a slight delay in the person reading to receive the posts. But it would stop the comments getting through.
    Not everyone on twitter or any other social media out put would be able to have their messages moderator prior to them seeing them. theres 100s of millions of them happening every day. But it should be given to people who are at most risk of abuse. Its a shame that it has to happen at all. But such is some humans behaviour. its never 100% avoidable
    No it's not avoidable, when you have the power of authority you will always encounter resistance to said power of authority.

The n word perhaps is deployed more frequently as the racial aspect of equality legislation is given a privilige over the other protected classes. It's the voldermort of social justice warriors, perhaps only over taken by trans issues in recent times.

One solution would be to de-power the impact, remember in Malcolm X's autobiography where he spoke of seeing himself as a proud black man and thereafter the n-word solicited no emotional response from him.
    I'm not too hopeful on this solution being chosen as to my impressions the new BLM marxists seem rather at odds with the era of MLK and Malcolm X's.

I think Neymar had a brilliant reaction to the banana being thrown on the pitch where he simply ate it. Iirc Sterling had a great match one time he had received abuse abroad with England, if it's going to bother you being called names may as well use the emotion to your benefit. Harness the power via your own processing.

Personally I cannot understand how anyone takes online verbal abuse seriously.
    From my perspective there are probably only a handful of people whose words matter to me, each of them know me well enough to critique my being, habit or actions where that criticism could be stinging or hard to take.
    Otherwise I'll listen to people grievances to see if they have a point or not, then reassess if needed

Illicited not solicited

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Good to hear a black player articulating some interesting thoughts about racism and how not to respond. I hope we can all stop kneeling down soon.

Wilfried Zaha: Crystal Palace forward will stop taking the knee before matches

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56117084
    I don't think the takeaway from that was that,.... "we should stop kneeling because, ...we shouldn't bother dealing with racism anymore"

I think his point was that if we're going to kneel without actually doing anything (tangible) about ACTUAL racism outside the football field, then it's pointless to do all these gestures that are nothing more than performative self-fellating circle jerks to make ourselves (as a society) feel better about ourselves having done something, when we've really done nothing.

Not..."Let's not kneel anymore. It's never going to fix the problem soo why bother.

But rather,..."If we're going to kneel that let's at least make it mean something and actually do something about it, otherwise bin it all, and keep pretending it's not a problem"

And by the way, nobody is forcing anyone to kneel who doesn't want to kneel.
    Getting rid of racism as a society shouldn't have to be a burden or obligation.

Living with it and suffering from it is what is the actual burden for those that actually suffer from it.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I think Neymar had a brilliant reaction to the banana being thrown on the pitch where he simply ate it. Iirc Sterling had a great match one time he had received abuse abroad with England, if it's going to bother you being called names may as well use the emotion to your benefit. Harness the power via your own processing.

Easy too say when you're not the the one actually suffering the abuse and haven't been dealing with it your whole life, like they have.

You don't know how much of racism a particular player (or person) has had to deal with when they get to that point that that banana thrown at them is the final breaking point and last straw for them that causes them to finally lose it, walk off or to get mad.

You don't know how many times they've already had to,... 'let it slide', ....as it were, or ignore it ,or 'turn it around use it as motivation or whatever',... however you think they should in their lives, prior to that point.

And also, even if they can't or don't, who is anyone to judge someone else if they don't have as high a threshold for abuse as one may feel they should have - particularly if they've never walked a mile in said person's shoes and known what it's like to be treated that way, especially day in and day out?

Different players just like different individuals will deal with it differently as we all have different coping levels in life.
    That's just human nature.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

From my perspective there are probably only a handful of people whose words matter to me, each of them know me well enough to critique my being, habit or actions where that criticism could be stinging or hard to take.
    Otherwise I'll listen to people grievances to see if they have a point or not, then reassess if needed

But when you go on to chat to fans and others. You shouldnt have to deal with someone popping onto your account to attack you racially. Its not easy to say why allow it to bother you. It does.
    You'll find humans tend to be want to be accepted for who they are. Not to be abused for something that is used to make someone feel bad.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post

But rather,..."If we're going to kneel that let's at least make it mean something and actually do something about it, otherwise bin it all, and keep pretending it's not a problem"
    What he said was

"Why must I even wear Black Lives Matter on the back of my top to show you that we matter? This is all degrading stuff."

To call it degrading is making a very particular point. It causes us to see black people as victims and powerless. It also insinuates that white people don't think black people matter, which is also degrading. I disagree with you no-one is being forced to kneel - it takes extreme courage to decline it and I'd imagine many think its not worth the bother.

and

"With taking a knee, sometimes people forget we have to do it. It is becoming something we just do. That is not enough for me."

Here what you're saying is correct. He doesn't think it solves what is a real problem and needs work.

and

"Growing up, my parents let me know I should be proud to be black. We should stand tall."

This is an interesting point. I think this shows actual self worth and value. You are strong enough to cope with racist abuse. I would contrast this attitude of Raheem Sterling and Danny Rose who have made traction for themselves out of the smallest incidents, with the assumption that they are doing something for society. But they are reacting to a handful of idiots who are generally hounded out wherever possible. Their reactions achieve exactly what the idiots intended. And so they show themselves to be vulnerable to the abuse.

The thing very few people get is that BLM are not built on a philosophy of equality. They claim that all western society is racist (against black people) and that therefore all white people are racist. There is no justice until we destroy all the institutions, root out those in power and institute a new society where the victims become the highest. It is essentially a Marxist fantasy. So taking the knee against 'racism' is not as straight forward as it seems. I think the clubs should stop asking the players to bow down to what is, in my view, an evil philosophy.

No it's not avoidable, when you have the power of authority you will always encounter resistance to said power of authority.

The n word perhaps is deployed more frequently as the racial aspect of equality legislation is given a privilige over the other protected classes. It's the voldermort of social justice warriors, perhaps only over taken by trans issues in recent times.

One solution would be to de-power the impact, remember in Malcolm X's autobiography where he spoke of seeing himself as a proud black man and thereafter the n-word solicited no emotional response from him.
    I'm not too hopeful on this solution being chosen as to my impressions the new BLM marxists seem rather at odds with the era of MLK and Malcolm X's.

I'm actually just getting towards the end of Malcolm X's biography. Its really good. He makes some amazing points that are very apt at this point in time, not just about systemic racism but of other things happening in the world too.

When the latest club stopped taking the knee I said to a few pals I wonder which Premier league club will be the first. Its clearly become a box ticking excercise for the league and the clubs and this kind of PR based approach isn't solving the problem.
    Last edited by teesred; 20th February 2021 at 01:05 PM.