Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 206

Thread: Cavani Should Face the same ban as Suarez

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,654
    Alan Hansen was coerced to leave his job at Match of the Day after he used the term 'coloured' to describe a black player. He was just a bit of a cultural dinosaur, using a term that was in full common use when he was a player. The idea that a man like Alan Hansen is a racist is ridiculous.
    The main body in America which fights for the rights of black people has been for years, and is still, the N.A.A.C.P. (The national Association for the Advancement of Coloured People)

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    24,761
    Glad the thread is doing what it was posted for, encouraging open debate.

    I still maintain Suarez was banned for using the very same term used by Cavani.

    Much in the same way Evra became a shrinking violet in the hearing saying he couldnít bring himself to repeat the word, yet was subsequently filmed frequently using far worse himself, it will be said that using it here wasnít racist whereas because Suarez used it, it was.

    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that is mine and Iím not going to start trying to change other peopleís opinion on it, each to their own.

    I just do not subscribe to the ďcontext is everythingĒ vibe. It is either a racist term, or it isnít. It was decided it was and the precedent set.

    Thatís it for me, thatís how I see it, it was deemed a racist remark so donít use it.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    20,038
    Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    There was wrong on both sides. Suarez was an exceptional player, but for us, more trouble than he was worth.
    Of course there was wrong on both sides if we are setting our moral standards very high.
    They both spoke impolitely.

    It is part of the game though as people try to rile up their opponent, or harass refs for cards to be given.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,306
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Of course there was wrong on both sides if we are setting our moral standards very high.
    They both spoke impolitely.

    It is part of the game though as people try to rile up their opponent, or harass refs for cards to be given.
    Absolutely.

    It is not however part of any game I want, to mock and abuse opponents however awful he may be by using their ethnicity or skin colour. Mocking and riling is not protected by law whereas ethnicity is along with 8 other personal protected characteristics

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,306
    Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Glad the thread is doing what it was posted for, encouraging open debate.

    I still maintain Suarez was banned for using the very same term used by Cavani.

    Much in the same way Evra became a shrinking violet in the hearing saying he couldn’t bring himself to repeat the word, yet was subsequently filmed frequently using far worse himself, it will be said that using it here wasn’t racist whereas because Suarez used it, it was.

    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that is mine and I’m not going to start trying to change other people’s opinion on it, each to their own.

    I just do not subscribe to the “context is everything” vibe. It is either a racist term, or it isn’t. It was decided it was and the precedent set.

    That’s it for me, that’s how I see it, it was deemed a racist remark so don’t use it.
    A word becomes racist based on context. The words black or bastard are not racist. Out them together with the intention to abuse and belittle someone you perceive to be inferior then it is. Saying that ‘dustbin is black’ is not racist. Now am not saying this player doesn’t have some case to answer but to suggest it’s same gravity as Suarez is absolutely ridiculous.

    Abuse evra. Abuse Stirling on the pitch or from the stands but never ever make it about their skin colour to do so is the act of scum and to in any way defend that in an age of more enlightenment and understanding very sad.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    20,038
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYPEA View Post
    Absolutely.

    It is not however part of any game I want, to mock and abuse opponents however awful he may be by using their ethnicity or skin colour. Mocking and riling is not protected by law whereas ethnicity is along with 8 other personal protected characteristics
    Maybe you could program some robots to perform the tasks you like.
    I hear they are making progress on that front with actors/actresses etc, might not be suitable to football though.

    Sex/gender is a protected characteristic on that list of 9 (the list of 9 is also in conflict as to whether Macrons an Islamophobe or Jihadis cutting the heads of French people are francophobes).
    Now cutting peoples heads off isn't really for debate as it's a greater crime, but theres a lot o argumentation around whether blspheming against Islam is a hate crime or whether hating Frances satirical culture is a hate crime.

    Did the fa tacitly endorse misogyny by not banning Evra for his comments too ?
    Did you (would you) call for an equal ban for Evra, a greater/lesser punishment or no punishment at all ?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    20,038
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYPEA View Post
    A word becomes racist based on context. The words black or bastard are not racist. Out them together with the intention to abuse and belittle someone you perceive to be inferior then it is. Saying that ‘dustbin is black’ is not racist. Now am not saying this player doesn’t have some case to answer but to suggest it’s same gravity as Suarez is absolutely ridiculous.

    Abuse evra. Abuse Stirling on the pitch or from the stands but never ever make it about their skin colour to do so is the act of scum and to in any way defend that in an age of more enlightenment and understanding very sad.
    How is calling someone a black barsteward racist if you are not calling all blacks bastards.

    How is calling someone a nice black man not racist ? Or is it racist too ? Should you only say hes a nice man?

    If you say hes a nice man, is that not sexist ?
    Should you say they are a nice person to avoid using gendered language which can cause others anxiety.

    If you say they are a nice person, is that not wormself/pixiekin/genderfluid exclusionary ? Thus another hate crime.

    You can start out with some nice intent, but it ends up in a barrel of shit imo.

    I read a piece from the UK today about a mairead philpott being released after seven years having set fire to her and her partners house with her partner and their friend, intent on blaming his former partner for the fire, whereby their/her 6 kids were killed.
    Just over one year for each child that died in a fire they set on their own home intentionally, yet i believe you could under British law serve 6 months for a tweet that is deemed a hate crime even if there was no intent or actual victim.

    14 tweets (even retweets) some a matter of fact could see you serve as much prison time as a conviction for the manslaughter of 6 children.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    24,761
    I hope you are not suggesting I have defended the use of what has been deemed a racist term Jaypea. I have merely suggested that both used the same word, directed at a black person, both should be treated the same.
    It cannot have escaped Cavaniís notice how his International team mate was castigated for his use of the term, he has no excuse.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,654
    Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I hope you are not suggesting I have defended the use of what has been deemed a racist term Jaypea. I have merely suggested that both used the same word, directed at a black person, both should be treated the same.
    It cannot have escaped Cavani’s notice how his International team mate was castigated for his use of the term, he has no excuse.
    He has an excuse if it isn't an offensive term in the first place.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    in the past
    Posts
    6,485
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    "A warning that the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep should not be taught in schools because it is "racially offensive" has been scrapped.

    The guidelines by education chiefs at Birmingham City Council were dropped after black parents condemned the advice as ridiculous....."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/600470.stm

    I wonder if it has been reinstated since 2000 as these control freaks rarely give up on their various causes.
    ----------
    2014
    “Baa Baa Black Sheep” has been deemed racist, and will no longer be sung at some child care centers in Australia. The classic nursery rhyme was penned in the early 1700s, and has been a preschool staple around the world. Some child care centers in Melbourne changed the phrases in “Baa Baa Black Sheep” because administrators feel it is both racist and sexist.

    In an effort to reflect a “multicultural community,” the “Baa Baa Black Sheep” nursery rhyme the staff at south-eastern Melbourne suburbs child care centers told the Herald Sun the lyric was being changed because of concerns over the racial connotations of the term “black.” Kindergarten teachers at the early childhood education centers reportedly told the newspaper that the line, “one for the little boy who lives down the lane” may also be changed to avoid any sexist connotations.

    https://www.inquisitr.com/1551979/baa-baa-black-sheep-deemed-racist/

    I wonder if you could sue the state for making you a racist (sexist too) by this far right playschool indoctrination !!
    So Baa Baa black sheep hasn't been dropped in good old Ingurland. But maybe in Australia? It's amazing how much misinformation or partial truths (and that's giving it more credibility than it deserves) become accepted as "truth"

    As for this Suarez / Cavani comparisons. We are clutching at straws. I can't say for sure how Suarez meant it. But in a heated game, and his temperament you have to question it.

    I was teaching my twin 5 year olds about Martin Luther King (School Black History month project). I used the same text for both of them. When we went over it - one of them said "dark skin" and "light skin" the other "White people & Dark people" - not really relevant but interesting
    Last edited by vin; 30th November 2020 at 05:16 PM.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •