Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Cavani Should Face the same ban as Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Glad the thread is doing what it was posted for, encouraging open debate.

I still maintain Suarez was banned for using the very same term used by Cavani.

Much in the same way Evra became a shrinking violet in the hearing saying he couldn’t bring himself to repeat the word, yet was subsequently filmed frequently using far worse himself, it will be said that using it here wasn’t racist whereas because Suarez used it, it was.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that is mine and I’m not going to start trying to change other people’s opinion on it, each to their own.

I just do not subscribe to the “context is everything” vibe. It is either a racist term, or it isn’t. It was decided it was and the precedent set.

That’s it for me, that’s how I see it, it was deemed a racist remark so don’t use it.
    "Context is everything" is not a vibe.

If I call a mate a dozy old cunt when we are messing around - it's fine. Should I call a copper a dozy old cunt - the consequences would be different.

Likewise. Would I use the "N" word as term of abuse - never. Have I used the "N" word with friends who are black, that I've known for years (I'm brown btw). Yes - I have. And for clarity - my friends come round as greet me with the Denzil Washington line "my ni**a" - to which i reply the same way.

If we were playing football - I wouldn't call any of them that on the pitch, nor the opposition.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

I hope you are not suggesting I have defended the use of what has been deemed a racist term Jaypea. I have merely suggested that both used the same word, directed at a black person, both should be treated the same.
    It cannot have escaped Cavani’s notice how his International team mate was castigated for his use of the term, he has no excuse.
    No I wasn’t apologies if it came across like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Maybe you could program some robots to perform the tasks you like.
    I hear they are making progress on that front with actors/actresses etc, might not be suitable to football though.

Sex/gender is a protected characteristic on that list of 9 (the list of 9 is also in conflict as to whether Macrons an Islamophobe or Jihadis cutting the heads of French people are francophobes).
    Now cutting peoples heads off isn't really for debate as it's a greater crime, but theres a lot o argumentation around whether blspheming against Islam is a hate crime or whether hating Frances satirical culture is a hate crime.

Did the fa tacitly endorse misogyny by not banning Evra for his comments too ?
    Did you (would you) call for an equal ban for Evra, a greater/lesser punishment or no punishment at all ?
    Fair points. I think sexism is taken more seriously now than was 8 years ago or so when this happened. With the female ‘linesmen’ promotion of women’s football by the FA BBC etc. Society and therefore authorities deem racism worse and more of a no go. In same way Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle mock women, people with disabilities including downs, religion, paedo priests etc but they stay clear of mocking skin colour. Although all these along with age, sexual orientation etc are protected under the same legislation.

As for France not sure what their laws say the Equality Act 2010 is UK not EU legislation.

It’s actually quite a serious point. Although neither player meant it as a racist insult, it has been deemed to be so.

The media, social media and the whole football family rallied round in support of poor old Patrice who said he couldn’t even bring himself to repeat it in the hearing and Suarez was roundly condemned as a racist.

So, here we are again, now with a Utd player (ironically) in exactly the same position and he should face exactly the same sanctions.
    Let's ask Patrice for his verdict
    Once a Red,
    you'll never walk alone

I think Cavani will get a ban for it probably a few games like Silva did.

As for Evra he is a sandwich short of a picnic you only have to watch him as a pundit he is imo a complete arsehole and there is various things to back it up 1.fighting his own fans 2.leading France team on strike 3.Appearing on a rap song using the N word more than once.

As for Suarez GREAT player but on the pitch he isnt a nice chap we saw this whilst playing for us and how he behaved playing against us in thr CL.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    So Baa Baa black sheep hasn't been dropped in good old Ingurland. But maybe in Australia? It's amazing how much misinformation or partial truths (and that's giving it more credibility than it deserves) become accepted as "truth"

As for this Suarez / Cavani comparisons. We are clutching at straws. I can't say for sure how Suarez meant it. But in a heated game, and his temperament you have to question it.

I was teaching my twin 5 year olds about Martin Luther King (School Black History month project). I used the same text for both of them. When we went over it - one of them said "dark skin" and "light skin" the other "White people & Dark people" - not really relevant but interesting
    Heres the wikipedia page on the uk.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baa,_Baa,_Black_Sheep
    True, are you on about something specifically?

In a heated game where 2 opponents of rival clubs are shouting at each other, wouldn't it be reasonably inferred that neither are being affectionate, polite, respectful in a conventional sense, yet respectful to the/that game itself.

Not read that book. The book is only one input, lots more at play.
    Guessing its age appropriate

At a wild guess, first one seems a bit more girly, second one more funny
    Black history month and neither refer to the word black people

I don't think it's officially changed much but i've heard loads of reports in schools etc they don't use it anymore / a slight modification.

Either way it's mad like the context of "faggot" in fairytale of new york.... radio1 muting it out!

some people think just saying "black" is racist these days!!

Disclaimer **** I hate any form of hate, but I know the difference between hate and no hate... if that makes sense

I personally think it's mad if cavani get's a longish ban at all, obviously just shared it not thinking much of it, and a way of saying thanks kinda (hence sharing it)!

Never really heard of the word before, it's more of a foreign word? IDK

Let's face it, only people that care is the FA any sane person would know it wasn't harmful / aimed to be harmful in any way
    Last edited by Kev0909; 30th November 2020 at 08:05 PM.

It is a fascinating debate, surely it can only be racist if it's intended to be racist, and not perceived to be racist ? but who decides ?

Around 5 years ago i was a foreman for a gang of 20 men who travelled around England for 3 years, refurbishing Prudential insurance offices, 2 of the lads never got on, at all, so we tried to keep them apart, as much as possible, any way one day a massive row broke out, the shouting could be heard 2 floors below, i got up there to see Dennis (who was of Jamaican descent) being held back from Geoff, who was, shall we say was more than a little over weight, it turns out Geoff called Dennis a black bastard, and it was heard by someone other than us that worked for the company, so i tried to get to the bottom of it and get all the details, as i knew it would be going further.
    I asked everyone who was in earshot, it turns Dennis called Geoff a fat c**t, the up shot being, that at the HR meeting i had to attend, they decided that being called a fat C**t was no provocation for using racist language, and Geoff was sacked ! to this day i'm not sure that was the right outcome, in fact right after the incident, Geoff was much more angry than Dennis.
    Getting there.

@Philfatkid

Unfortunately we live in a world where it's ok to be openly abusive towards/discriminate against certain types of people, but completely unacceptable to even say or do anything that could be perceived as doing the same towards certain other groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I don't think it's officially changed much but i've heard loads of reports in schools etc they don't use it anymore / a slight modification.

Either way it's mad like the context of "faggot" in fairytale of new york.... radio1 muting it out!

some people think just saying "black" is racist these days!!

Disclaimer **** I hate any form of hate, but I know the difference between hate and no hate... if that makes sense

I personally think it's mad if cavani get's a longish ban at all, obviously just shared it not thinking much of it, and a way of saying thanks kinda (hence sharing it)!

Never really heard of the word before, it's more of a foreign word? IDK

Let's face it, only people that care is the FA any sane person would know it wasn't harmful / aimed to be harmful in any way
    I think there was some stuff around "blackboards" but how many schools still have those?
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"