Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1619202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v Ajax (CL Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Certainly wouldn't rather take it now - that goal got us the win. A Red card and a penalty would need VAR not Hawkeye - and wouldn't have guaranteed a win.
    No, of course you wouldn't take it now! But at the time...? What would it have been? 45+ minutes with a man advantage + a penalty?

Edit: I don't mean this as a part of Goal Line Tech debate - rather in general. I can't see how it could possibly be relevant to that.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Why ? The whole of the ball isn't over the lines, they are the rules. Your example was much nearer to a goal than Geoff Hurst's was in the 66 World Cup Final. How that was given as a goal i have no idea.
    Stop being logical, it gets you nowhere.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    No, of course you wouldn't take it now! But at the time...? What would it have been? 45+ minutes with a man advantage + a penalty?
    It was in the 3rd minute wasnt it? 90 minutes to go if you include the stoppage time. I would take a red card and penalty any day.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Hang on - SO you would happily take that over the goal and the win???? I thought we were talking specifically about goal line technology?
    You brought 2005 into it.And i mentioned 2012. And they were both without the current technology on the goal line.
    Like i said in a previous post Moronhino complains about it to this day. I just mentioned how Chelsea got more from that situation than we did.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    It was in the 3rd minute wasnt it? 90 minutes to go if you include the stoppage time. I would take a red card and penalty any day.
    I think things are getting a bit confused. We are talking about goal line technology being used to work out IF a ball is over the line? Different discussion to VAR. IF the ref thinks the ball is in the net and GL tech was around then it might well have meant we got no goal. Same scenario for FA Cup final and the Geordie sick note.

The mention of a penalty in 2005 is guesswork and talk of a red card is a complete red herring as the ref would still have sent him off regardless of the goal being given or not.

I think things are getting a bit confused. We are talking about goal line technology being used to work out IF a ball is over the line? Different discussion to VAR. IF the ref thinks the ball is in the net and GL tech was around then it might well have meant we got no goal. Same scenario for FA Cup final and the Geordie sick note.

The mention of a penalty in 2005 is guesswork and talk of a red card is a complete red herring as the ref would still have sent him off regardless of the goal being given or not.
    Now your "bringing guesswork into it" to hide the facts you have balls up the idea of preferring a goal.than a goal keeper being sent off and us being awarded a penalty and again you mentioned 2005. and again have a look at the refs reaction. It was the fact the goal was given he decided to not award a penalty and a sending off

Now your "bringing guesswork into it" to hide the facts you have balls up the idea of preferring a goal.than a goal keeper being sent off and us being awarded a penalty and again you mentioned 2005. and again have a look at the refs reaction. It was the fact the goal was given he decided to not award a penalty and a sending off
    Best not to argue with a fool.

This part of the discussion started when an image of Mane's close call against City 3 seasons back.
    I forget who questioned why it was deemed to not stand after it only being mile metres.
    WITH technology (if you trust hawkeye to be that accurate) It was deemed the ball wasn't fully over the line. Thats why i mentioned 2012..and how if there was technology then. I believe the goal would have been given.

Best not to argue with a fool.
    Ok,but don't be so harsh on yourself

I'd take the goal. No guarantee we'd have scored the penalty, and Chelsea were a better side than us. 10 men, with a resolute Jose getting them to defend. Nah - have the goal (for me)
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"