Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182122232425262728

Thread: Liverpool v Ajax (CL Match Thread)

With justme on this. If we were playing a team who were better than us, would I want a 1-0 lead or a penalty and the opposition down to 10?
    Penalty and down to 10 every time.

Not wanting to labour a point and I am talking about the so called Ghost goal...BUT:

If we are talking at the time - in the game live: and before the goal is given - perhaps yes - we would have been in an excellent position.

BUT as I have said there are 2 BIG ifs here. The ref ONLY mentioned that he would have given a pen and red card AFTER the controversy and multiple replays on TV. A retrospective view. This is like VAR - not HAwkeye.. this is open to interpretation and subject to external factors..

All we have as 'hard evidence' that he would have done anything had the goal been ruled out - is ."The look on his face".

That is why the goal is the one to take every time. It is the ONLY certainty in all of this.

Hence my suggestion that as much as we all would want goal line tech for the 2012 Cup final that we lost - overwhelmingly - as fans we should be happy that it wasn't around in 2005 because we may well have not made the final at all.
    Last edited by Steveo; 3rd December 2020 at 04:24 PM.

Personally I see the 2 things as very different. Hawkeye is absolute perfection. It is or it isn't. It is a pain in the bum when you think you have scored but the ball is actually 0.8 mm overlapping the line. But at least it must be the same for everyone.

VAR should be similar - especially with offsides BUT is very much open to interpretation and until it is as clear cut as Hawkeye - it will be a mess. His arm is in front of his boot etc.. which part of anatomy is key..? Who decides? Was that Handball? Did his his silhouette get bigger etc.. Again it can be interpreted differently and even twisted to suit an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Personally I see the 2 things as very different. Hawkeye is absolute perfection. It is or it isn't. It is a pain in the bum when you think you have scored but the ball is actually 0.8 mm overlapping the line. But at least it must be the same for everyone.

VAR should be similar - especially with offsides BUT is very much open to interpretation and until it is as clear cut as Hawkeye - it will be a mess. His arm is in front of his boot etc.. which part of anatomy is key..? Who decides? Was that Handball? Did his his silhouette get bigger etc.. Again it can be interpreted differently and even twisted to suit an agenda.
    It will never be as clear as goal line technology because decisions are based on opinions. Goal line technology cannot be disputed.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    It will never be as clear as goal line technology because decisions are based on opinions. Goal line technology cannot be disputed.
    It can't be no - but they should be able to get offsides pretty close and define a set of standards which are not so vague.

For instance - this didn't make it to VAR review This is inside the United penalty area FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    It can't be no - but they should be able to get offsides pretty close and define a set of standards which are not so vague.

For instance - this didn't make it to VAR review This is inside the United penalty area FFS!

You shouldn't need VAR for something like that. Just a referee that knows what he's doing.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    You shouldn't need VAR for something like that. Just a referee that knows what he's doing.
    That counts out nearly 80% of them in the PL
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Neco was coached through the game brilliantly by Hendo, you could hear him all through the game talking to him. When he played the ball back to him for the goal, he shouted “put it in” and that’s exactly what he did.
    If somebody shouts to me "put it in", I have to be sure it's appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Am I imaging things or did the rule years ago used to be only half the ball needed to be over the line ?
    Side lines. Used to be the case that half the ball had to be over the line for a throw in to be awarded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55160134https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55160134

"VAR: Hit or miss? Fans' poll on football's most controversial debate"

"I'd rather play without it." "Ruining the game." "I don't know the rules any more."

"In a poll for BBC Sport, only a third of football fans across the UK said they believe VAR has made football better."
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief