Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    They were so shocked to see Bobby not starting they slipped into complacency
    Haha... good one...

But seriously - people forget how many close shaves we had in both seasons...97 points and 99 AND in the CL. Qualified from Group on GD - Came from 3 down v Barca missing key players etc... These games were won through sheer belief....will and a steel mentality more than anything else. We have seen Klopp bring in players we thought were "clearly not ready" . Ahem Neco...to name just one.. - yet they performed. You have to be big enough to accept that Jurgen Klopp - despite not listening to me - silly fella - might just know better..

Didn't United have 11 1-0 wins in 2009? Almost like top sides are good at winning games by the slightest of margnis...
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Didn't United have 11 1-0 wins in 2009? Almost like top sides are good at winning games by the slightest of margnis...
    Absolutely and you need plenty of luck too. Mecheda came in and effectively won them a title they nearly lost. Point being precisely the same as we have now with Klopp... Ferguson instilled that belief across the squad...and had players often with little to no experience - who were mentally conditioned well enough to come in and perform. Mentality is what made the teams of Shanks and Paisley - Like with Fergie and Jose ... They didn't just happen to always have the best players - they also built a belief system. What gets you through those tough 1 nil wins or last gasp winning goals is that belief....at least in my opinion.

Interesting article from a similar stage of the season in 2009

Sir Alex Ferguson flummoxed by Manchester United injury crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-injury-crisis

Very much so, Steveo. It's important to instil that fear and belief we'll get the last gasp winner in our opponents too.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

100% - you can actually smell the fear in some games. You know v Brighton - had they not got that Soft pen so late - we would have scored - they would have been defending on their 6 yard box .

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    In a nutshell. Everyone has an opinion, but ultimately there are very few people (in fact I'm struggling to think of any) whose opinion I'd value over Klopp's. He doesn't get it right all the time (who does) but some of 19x post/thesis is written in a manner in which he believes he has superior football coaching knowledge to Klopp. They are semi-interesting posts some of the time. And obviously, everyone is entitled to an opinion - e.g. some loons on here think Arteta has worked out Klopp!!!!
    I don't think that, sometimes Jurgen does get it wrong, not very often, but when he does it's usually major league, like bringing Fab back in last season when we'd been far better without him or recognising Gomez's frailties when required to do actual real defending, but every manager in history has 'favourites' that can trip them up, Fab and Joe are Jurgens
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Haha... good one...

But seriously - people forget how many close shaves we had in both seasons...97 points and 99 AND in the CL. Qualified from Group on GD - Came from 3 down v Barca missing key players etc... These games were won through sheer belief....will and a steel mentality more than anything else. We have seen Klopp bring in players we thought were "clearly not ready" . Ahem Neco...to name just one.. - yet they performed. You have to be big enough to accept that Jurgen Klopp - despite not listening to me - silly fella - might just know better..
    And he's still not ready, but has improved a lot as someone has very obviously had a word with him on the key points: Keep it simple Do NOT try dribbling the ball past 3 opposition players on the edge of your own box When the ball is there to be put in, put the fucking thing in Stand up, get to potential crossers quickly and stop them

As Miller pointed out Captain fantastic coached him superbly through the entire game v Ajax

As for performing, it was better, but having to move Hendo from CM to RCM to protect him and stifling our midfield creativity is far from ideal, Jurgen, brilliant as ever recognised this v Wolves and moved Hendo back to CM Gini to RCM and Jones to LCM and about 1 minute later we opened the scoring from one of Captain fantastics trade mark balls

Hendos ball was a simple headed clearance to play from Agent Coady. In fact he could and should have headed it comfortably to a Wolves player without losing possession - in fact the ball was so easy to intercept he tried to chest the darned thing.

You are not seriously claiming it as a great ball. I mean Hendo will also get an assist for Gini’s goal but again it’s a looping forward ball and the player has all the work to do.

Come on you are clearly pedalling an agenda dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Hendos ball was a simple headed clearance to play from Agent Coady. In fact he could and should have headed it comfortably to a Wolves player without losing possession - in fact the ball was so easy to intercept he tried to chest the darned thing.

You are not seriously claiming it as a great ball. I mean Hendo will also get an assist for Gini’s goal but again it’s a looping forward ball and the player has all the work to do.

Come on you are clearly pedalling an agenda dude.
    That ball certainly wasn't his best, but those balls over the top or to either flank are what Mane and Mo thrive off and were the main contributor and start point to almost all our goals last season, indluding the ones played by Virgil, we don't really play through teams, Thiago was no doubt bought to improve our ability to do that, we won so many games from being more direct, taking 4 or 5 opposition players out of the game with switches or attempted balls over the top and supporting the switch with LCM RCM, Bobby and either full back

Look at Mo's celebration, 2 hands pointing straight to Hendo, very telling

We are a very direct team

It was great to see Mane and Mo looking constant threats again and Robbo and Trent, it was great to see Matip and Fab attempting those longer switches and balls over the top too and Robbo's ball down the line to release Mane was the pass of the evening

Edit: Also you always knock Hendo but plenty of players including all our other mids except Thiago can't play those passes or get them badly wrong. I watched a UAE FC game about 3 or 4 weeks back and bacon face tried 10-15 of those switches and hit every one out of play or so the defender could clear or intercept. Bacon face of course has considerable other talents around the box, but i was literally pissing myself watching it thinking about your comments on the subject
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 7th December 2020 at 05:15 PM.

No no no - but I don’t knock Hendo at all 19... come on mate.. You must be confusing me with someone else. I used to call him ordinary , years back when he was..... guess what.. ordinary. I was one of the first to comment on his mahusive improvement more than 2 years ago . And he has improved beyond anything many of us could have imagined.

I think he is absolutely key to our current best 11 and one of the first names on the sheet.