Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new young managers (EX footballers)

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Gerrard seems to be doing a decent job, but i still wouldn't want him here when Klopp eventually leaves. A massive difference between Scottish Premiership and this one.
    As we found out with Souness, let's not travel that road again
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Think if Linders is here when Klopp leaves if he has the ambition he should be given a chance. Especially if he is a big part if Ebay is going on into background. Number 2s dont always make good number 1s but we have had some if our biggest successes under a formet number 2 or assistant in Paisley and a player coach turn manager in Kenny.

These things are not cast in stone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also on Gerrard it could work or not but Scottish Premier League is not EPL.

For me the question of a coach manager is he a football thinker and greater man manager.

It seems in recent years people who succeed are midfielders and people whose careers were cut short or had minimal success but were students of the game (obsessed).

Midfielders, Pep, Rijkaard, Zidane, Ancelotti.

Students, Jose Mourinho, Nuno. Low, I know Flick was a player as well but also seems like a student learning as a assistant to the for long.

So Stevie is a midfielder and Pep Lijnders a student so I wont mind either.

Gerrard is a risk cause he is a legend but surely sometime in his life he should be given a chance. We are romantic club so an appointment like that fits us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    As we found out with Souness, let's not travel that road again
    Lol. Once bitten forever shy. But I will take him. Think he is a thinker and his teams could play the way he did. With freedom and passion. Love what he is doing at Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    Think if Linders is here when Klopp leaves if he has the ambition he should be given a chance. Especially if he is a big part if Ebay is going on into background. Number 2s dont always make good number 1s but we have had some if our biggest successes under a formet number 2 or assistant in Paisley and a player coach turn manager in Kenny.

These things are not cast in stone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also on Gerrard it could work or not but Scottish Premier League is not EPL.

For me the question of a coach manager is he a football thinker and greater man manager.

It seems in recent years people who succeed are midfielders and people whose careers were cut short or had minimal success but were students of the game (obsessed).

Midfielders, Pep, Rijkaard, Zidane, Ancelotti.

Students, Jose Mourinho, Nuno. Low, I know Flick was a player as well but also seems like a student learning as a assistant to the for long.

So Stevie is a midfielder and Pep Lijnders a student so I wont mind either.

Gerrard is a risk cause he is a legend but surely sometime in his life he should be given a chance. We are romantic club so an appointment like that fits us.

I think if Stevie earns legitimate success with Rangers in Scotland (beyond just winning the SPL; he needs to tack on a Europa League as well or get to the final, as well as maybe taking them far in the Champion's League), then he will have earned the legitimate right to get get a chance to manage us.

It wouldn't be like with Lampard at Chelsea or Arteta with the Arse, since he'll be coming from a position of actually WON something and not just managed.

Other than that, I'd be okay with Pep taking over.

(would also love it if either of them brought on Milly into their Coaching staff. He's a true servant of the club who should always be here regardless of who's managing)
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    I think if Stevie earns legitimate success with Rangers in Scotland (beyond just winning the SPL; he needs to tack on a Europa League as well or get to the final, as well as maybe taking them far in the Champion's League), then he will have earned the legitimate right to get get a chance to manage us.

It wouldn't be like with Lampard at Chelsea or Arteta with the Arse, since he'll be coming from a position of actually WON something and not just managed.

Other than that, I'd be okay with Pep taking over.

(would also love it if either of them brought on Milly into their Coaching staff. He's a true servant of the club who should always be here regardless of who's managing)
    Agree

Gerrard is doing a good job at Rangers he needs to win the title and get to last 16 or QF of EL to stand out they not go further than that.

He would then have to do a good job at either another EPL side or a team in a stronger European league for me to feel comfortable.

He was a world class player for us and is one of our best ever without question.

BUT my concern is if it doesnt go well we could be in a Ole situation where the likes of Carragher do a Neville and stick up for their mate.

I know we had a bootroom and Kenny but these days with social media its a brutal job.

I think we had 16 points after 12 games under Hodgson.

So Arteta is doing worse (in the League at least) this season than the Hodge was.

That's pretty damn poor.

Arsenal draw Benfica.

Ouch!

Dortmund have sacked their manager.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Bit surprised about the negativity around Pep Lijnders. Not only have we had great success with him and Klopp, but also the playing style is fantastic and exciting, so you would get that continuity of style. I think he would or should definitely be given the opportunity to see how he does. Think he is pretty good at man management too.
    I would be wary of getting Gerrard in too soon until he has shown what he can do in a more difficult league. I think the Championship is a much more testing league than the Scottish prem. Would you want a Championship manager coming in because he had done well in that league?
    Somewhere down the line i think we might see Xabi Alonso or even Mascherano (or both together!)
    I dont get how people can put a manager in a lesser league whose in Europe and doing well there below an assistant manager to the worlds best manager.
    Has lindjers got a record out on his own of note ?