Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273031323334353637

Thread: Fulham v Liverpool (Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    @Crimson

The reason they spent the Coutinho money straight away is exactly the same reason Kenny did that with the Torres money, and Rodgers with the Suarez money, because if we had let any of our best players at the time leave and not replaced them, not only would there have been serious issues with our owners and each of those managers, but our fanbase would have also been seriously p***ed off. Given what we've 'spent' under FSG, if you think that FSG would have sanctioned the acquisition of the likes of VVD and Alisson without knowing that Coutinho was on his way, you are seriously naive.

Yes we brought Jota, But again, considering our very low net spend since Klopp arrived, the fact we've not signed a load of players, the fact we're the PL champions, have made record revenue, have signed one of the largest sponsorship deals ever, and are already the fifth richest club in the world (something that makes Covid a fair bit less relevant than if we were say Dagenham and Redbridge), again Klopp/we would have been seriously p***ed off if we had not signed someone to help out our attack, which not only largely consisted of just three players, but wasn't/isn't getting enough assistance from those behind them........

Just a few things here...

1) FSG didn't have to buy (specifically) Virgil or Allison. They could have spent (slightly) less to get virtually anyone else on the market, as anyone we got for goalie would have been an improvement over Mignolet/Karius and anyone we got for the backline would have been an improvement over Lovren/Matip et al.

We got Allisson and Van Dijk specifically because those were the two that Klopp wanted.
    And Klopp wanted them knowing they were NOT cheap options (so there goes your "He was hired because he works cheap" theory)....and regardless of that FSG spent anyway, what it cost to get them.
    How is that not supporting your manager in the transfer market?

And a second part of this, is your suggestion or implication that it was the Coutinho money and if it wasn't for that (or the fact that we knew it was coming) they wouldn't have spent.

RE :-

>>>>", if you think that FSG would have sanctioned the acquisition of the likes of VVD and Alisson without knowing that Coutinho was on his way, you are seriously naive."
    That's nonsense.
    Sorry to say, but...

We were trying to get Van Dijk from the previous Summer transfer window before, when we got slapped on the wrist by the League for tapping up. Remember?
    Coutinho was still very much a member of our team then, and even though there were whispers of him wanting to leave, there was no idea that we would be getting any money for him (or how much) by the time we started looking into getting Van Dijk from Southampton at the end of the previous season before we got him.

So again how does that square with your, "...we only got him, because we got Coutinho money, or knew we were eventually getting Coutinho money", theory....when the reality is that we had tried to get Virgil already long before there was an inkling of anything like "Coutinho money"??
    Wasn't that their own money they were planning on spending to get him back then?

"Coutinho money" didn't start to become a "thing" until the early part of the following season when rumours started that Barcelona might indeed be interested in getting him and he likewise started making noise about leaving.
    That was long after we first tried to get Virgil.

2) Again, you still haven't explained or corroborated how you're so sure that the fact that we have a thin bench, is entirely the fault of FSG not backing him (despite all evidence to the contrary) versus it being a case of Klopp himself just being stubborn (something we've literally observed from him as recently as LAST WEEK, going all the way back to when he persisted with going with Karius/Migs in goal when we all knew they wasn't up to the task, and also when he kept insisting or believing he could draw the best out of Lovren or the likes of Moreno. We even see it now with his insistence on Bobby.)

3) My assertion that FSG have backed Klopp is not just an opinion, it's a FACT that's backed by actual evidence of how much our current squad is worth, and are paid and how how we've gone for players that Klopp has asked for in the market and not hesitated to pay what was asked for (within reason, and within the bounds of our financial structure).
    WE can argue all day about how much that support has been and whether in either of our opinion it's been "enough". We can even argue about whether said support has actually been taken advantage of when it was there (in terms of Klopp's own role in all this), but let's not argue about what's actually happened and can be proven by fact, which is the idea that FSG have indeed supported the manager........that THEY hired..........because of his managerial abilities first and foremost.

(....and not just because he was going to save them a couple of quid, despite them having spent more on just two players for him than some clubs spend on their entire squads)
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

@Crimson

I didn't get much sleep last night, which can have serious issues for me, so I'm off for a wash and then getting into bed, where I hope I'll fall asleep (I wouldn't bet on it). I might reply to your last message (today or tomorrow), but then again I might not. If not, we'll have to agree to disagree. You have your opinion, I have mine. I just wish FSG would open up their wallet a bit more as I'm worried that them not doing so will ultimately cost us in a season where we should really be able to defend our title, and surely we all just want what's best for the team/club.

Personally I can see good points both of you are making.

Just a couple of mine...

We were trying to bring in Virgil in the summer of 2017 JUST as Coutinho was virtually out the door to Barca. Surely we all remember that. The geezer even went on strike in August to push through his move.

No point suggesting that we buy Virgil without selling Coutinho - because we all know that would not have happened.

We bought the ONLY genuine players that were the GO TO players - VVD and Alisson - for this club off the back of that massive sale.

Whether it is Klopp or FSG is anyone’s guess - but I would think it obvious who the likeliest culprit is...

We haven’t invested at a level you would expect relative to our recent success. Klopp has us punching far above our weight in the market. That isn’t much of a debate.

That is not to say that we should be blowing our wedge in stupid fashion BUT rather to say that HAD we had a little more in the kitty than to just “pay the bills” on the back of number 6 ( second successive Cl final ) in summer 2019 - we would be in a far stronger position now in terms of personnel.

Just because someone has witnessed their best Liverpool under FSG has little bearing on that fact. We have had teams that won the lot without huge outlays and teams that won zip after spending a relative fortune.

Had we invested more over the last 2 seasons we would be far more capable of winning our second title in 30 years - that is the point.

FSG managed our first - BUT couldn’t keep their power dry for even 2 seconds. Straight in with the Project big picture!! naughty boys..

As mentioned many many times - they have done plenty of good things but have also left plenty to be desired. Their crowing glory - Jurgen Klopp and for him I will be eternally grateful. Just want and expect more.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Scott Parker cosplaying as a Bond villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I like that navy jacket and polo neck combo.
    Hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Klopp is the main reason for our current success, but not the only reason. Anyone who says otherwise is either saying so because it harms their argument, or because they are an idiot. It's unlikely that we do anywhere near as well as we have if we had virtually any other manager in charge of us, even if FSG did everything else the same.

Klopp isn't flawless, but FSG have more flaws, despite them having done a fair few good things. I don't see why some are getting so worked up about my opinion. It's not as if I've said "FSG are ****ing useless!!! They are ruining our club and I want them out asap!!!!! ".

I think they could/should be doing more when it comes to providing us/Klopp with a squad that is befitting of the most successful club in England and the fifth richest club in the world. That's all.
    + 1