Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Your team v Tottenham

It a good forum but full of country bumpkins. : most of you couldn’t design your way out of a paper bag.

it's going to be a long old season, but if we stay around the top come March time Our big guns will get us over the line.
    You don't win the league at Christmas, We've been told that often enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Now that simply isn’t true is it Bali - unless you are trying to defend a bogus concept.

How can you compare Spurs - Just built a £1 billion stadium in the capital - finished above us 3 times out of the last 5 seasons and only missed out on a CL to us a year ago in Madrid.

Same side is top of the Premier league now... Seriously - Everton and Wolves...? They haven’t even got close in decades...
    That's kind of what I'm getting at, Steveo - the point is that they all want to do well equally. Some will get farther, others won't. Some will fade, some will stay. Doesn't matter who they are - e.g. Everton are a much bigger club than Spurs but, as you say, have been worse for a while now.

I don't think Spurs will magically go away but I also don't think they'll be an actual consistent PL winning threat like Chelsea became quite quickly post-Roman.

I'm with you that we shouldn't take them lightly, but we shouldn't also consider them in the same league as City, United or Chelsea in terms of threat level.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

To further cement that we should take them seriously - they're one of only a couple of PL clubs that can credibly claim they're run better than us.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

I worry about them. Have done for years - possibly too much as I have a lot of paranoid Gooner mates.

Sadly for them - most of their fears came true..

That Levy fella and Spurs massive wealth - coupled with their location - they are the glamour club in London make no mistake. That new stadium. It all means they are a huge threat to us and United.

We just have to hope they stumble.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    it's going to be a long old season, but if we stay around the top come March time Our big guns will get us over the line.
    You don't win the league at Christmas, We've been told that often enough.
    Agreed... I would say we just need to be there or there or thereabouts into the first month of new year really. Hopefully Thiago back - a new CB and Jota back - a fit Keita and Ox and we have a huge chance.

I think is pretty obvious what the Spurs/Mourinho tactics will be tonight, let us have the ball/possession, try to subdue our attack, then break down the left, via Son, and as Trent has a tendency to drift inside a little sometimes, this plays right into their hands.
    We need someone on the right of our midfield, to keep track of Son, Ox isn't fit enough, Henderson isn't fast enough, so i think it's between Wijnaldum and Jones, if we can stop Son, they have no plan B, we just have to score then, Simples
    Getting there.

I don't know how their finances look, Steveo. Iirc they've got quite a bit of debt thanks to the stadium which will bite them in the arse if they don't get more success soon.

Definitely a team to not lose sight of.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Oh it’s all down to Jose...?

Not Poch this time eh.?

Thought it was all over once Poch left.???

Come on fellas - have the decency to admit when you have got things a bit wrong. We are all wrong more times than we care to accept.

Spurs aren’t great - Jose is no miracle worker BUT Levy will wield the axe the minute he has had enough. They ain’t going away.
    It DID look all over when Poch left to be fair. Eriksen leaving, the side Poch had built being burned by having finished third in a two-Horse race in the League and messing up their chance to be taken (really) seriously by losing in the Champion's League Final on the backdrop of a few months of wavering League form.

Jose has come in, grand. They're in the Europa League and probably have a fair chance of winning it, grand. History suggests that Mourinho's best season with a club is the second season. Jose has given Spurs some belief that they can challenge (being referred to as a serial winner again) and has brought Bale in, who hits a note with Spurs fans because of what he was for them before, but also will be useful in the dressing room too - any time a player in that squad gets frustrated by the tactics, Bale is floating about and able to say "oh, well back when I was at Real Madrid...." and that will immediately sharpen people up. Real Madrid (hateful as they are) have European weight and Mourinho and Bale are both former employees, so of course Spurs players/fans will be riding the crest of what Mourinho/Bale will bring, but I don't (personally) think they win the League or Champion's League under Mourinho, be it this season or the two following seasons, without some serious luck and/or magic in the transfer market.

@ Sid - It might have looked like that BUT I told you it wasnt so.

People forget they had plenty of injury and fitness concerns last season ( and season before ) much like we have now - not as extreme perhaps and more spread out - but that...coupled with a new manager took its toll. You could see even last season in games they were able to mix it with anyone. They have had one of the strongest squads around for years. The only surprise is that they haven't won trophies.

Let's be clear here - If they win in Madrid things are very very different right now...and last season.

We got the early CL final penalty and we went on to win. We are talking about one game in effect.

Don't get me wrong Klopp has got us well ahead of them - yet they are still in the mix despite losing a manager of Poch's class just a year ago.

I think it is time for people to face reality and accept that Spurs are a more agile club than us. They are better placed for long term success than we are. We have Klopp - a new training facility and a new main stand.. Once Klopp is taken out of that equation - we are looking up at them I fear.

I say much of this in the hope that I am wrong... but....only time will tell

@ Bali Spurs are one of the richest clubs in the world even if they don't turn a profit - which they do in record numbers...Lewis alone is worth around $7 Billion.

Looking at Spurs in detail does not make good reading for anyone not associated with the club. They seem to be breaking records without winning a bean.. I don't even want to think about what they could do IF they actually won a major prize. One thing is for certain- Had they won that 2019 final - they wouldn't have been sitting on their thumbs and just "paying the bills".
    Last edited by Steveo; 16th December 2020 at 11:01 AM.