Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Jones

What a performance tonight against probably the ugliest, hardest midfield in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    What a performance tonight against probably the ugliest, hardest midfield in the league.
    Jones was really something, wasn't he?

If he keeps this up and also *touch wood* has a good injury record, we are laughing.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Midfield seems to be completely different at home, compared to away

Add a few goals and he'll be perfect

Be hard to score goals when hes deeper. He was in front of the back line picking up the ball at times. He looks a very fluid player..
    Looks a really talent to me
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

I especially loved / hated the trick back heel pass he gave around the 75th minute. Nerves? What nerves?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Still developing his game, he will get stronger, more confident and know when to go himself and when to play someone in. He has the talent and at 19 he is way ahead of schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I especially loved / hated the trick back heel pass he gave around the 75th minute. Nerves? What nerves?
    That reminded me of when my Dad and I used to watch Italy in the '06 World Cup and Pirlo would always, ALWAYS take the ball when under pressure and do something needlessly casual (which, if possession were lost, would result in a one-on-one) and it always came off in the end. The heart was always in the proverbial mouth though and "for f**k's sake Pirlo!!!!" would be uttered by both of us each time.

Jones will make the odd mistake with moments like that in future and we may end up having to accept that (C. Ronaldo in his early Man United career over-complicated things at time) but if it comes off more often than not and he continues to progress his "without the ball" game we'll be delighted.

Having Trent and Jones at the club at the age they're both at is wonderful. If more can "come through" (even if we are talking players purchased at a young age, such as we did with Sterling) that want to play for us (Elliott?) as well, it will help with continuity/DNA/legacy while saving us a Fortune in the transfer market.

Tonight was his best performance in a Liverpool shirt by a country mile tonight, the main aspect of his improvement from other performances being a far FAR better contribution to the team press and better discipline and awareness in his play overall, greatly assisted I feel by very obvious tweaks made to how we lined up and the positions of both full backs and Bobby, it made a huge difference
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

S e n s a t i o n a l

94% pass success
    103/107 passes

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    S e n s a t i o n a l

94% pass success
    103/107 passes
    Just to expand on this -

106/113 passes completed (most)
    16 final ⅓ entries
    9 ball recoveries
    4/5 aerial duels won
    4 interceptions
    4 penalty area entries
    3 shots
    2 chances created

He's 6'2, excellent first touch, wins headers, seeks to progress the ball forward when it's on, can maintain possession rather than seeking to always force it, can dribble and in training is surrounded by Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Ox, Keita, Fabinho,Alcantara and Shaqiri - not to mention Firmino, Salah, Mane, Robertson and Trent.

There will be inconsistencies, there will be mistakes, but he looks very exciting.

If there is an upside to all the injury woes we have had, it's the opportunities that the likes of Jones and Rhys Williams will get. But for the centre-back injuries, Fabinho likely remains in midfield.

It's a lovely feeling when even the largest of problems, like the loss of the World's best centre-back, open doors.