Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: The Midfield

The Midfield

What's going on? many games this season they've not had a grip of the game at all, especially lately

are we missing fabinho in there? tactics? or what?

It's causing problems, firmino has to keep coming very deep just to get hold of the ball / some control of the game (or try) instead of linking up more up the pitch

We're got at more, because we don't have the control, which is a big concern with VVD being out and bit of a injury crisis.

So this effects the attack, and chances for mane/salah and firmino linking up with them, and leaking more goals due to be going got at more

we've not been "on it" for a while now, somehow we're still joint-top which is brilliant

but it needs sorting and fast, otherwise we won't be around top for long and forget the champions league

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    chances for mane/salah and firmino linking up with them, and leaking more goals due to be going got at more

we've not been "on it" for a while now, somehow we're still joint-top which is brilliant

but it needs sorting and fast, otherwise we won't be around top for long and forget the champions league
    We are indeed still joint-top. Nobody looks like they're getting 86+ points right now, so although consistency is very desirable, it's arguably needed less this season than most, as rivals are suffering too.

Mid-February is a long time from now in Footballing terms, whether it's players coming back from injury, players who are fit now being injured by then, tactical tweaks to compensate for flaws in the system and/or injuries.

For all we know we'll have Thiago, Hendo, Milner and Wijnaldum all available for the February-to-May spell, or we could be down to bare bones. Wait and see on the European front.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

We need someone in midfield who can keep hold of the ball and dictate play (hopefully Thiago), at least one player who can regularly offer some goal threat and creativity in order to reduce the reliance on our forwards, an out and our quality DM (all things I've been banging on about for ages), and hopefully none of those players would go missing away from Anfield on a regular basis.

It's a lot of things

Bobby has always dropped deep, that's not new, it actually helps

I think what we've been missing most and the biggest negative impact on how our midfield works is Virgil's injury, having to play deeper, injuries to other CBs meaning rather than having both full backs pushed high, we've had to revert to a one stays and one goes philosophy, whereas last season and the one before both were almost always high and that was 2 more pressers in midfield and 2 more options in attack and to win second balls and to link midfield with attack.

We are being outnumbered a lot of the time now, when the last 2 seasons we had 5 or 6 bodies in the midfield area doing all these things, in a lot of this season's games we only have the 3 in there and for long periods in every game both full backs are back making sporadic runs forward on a one stays one goes basis
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Henderson, Gini, Fabinho, Jones, Milner, Kieta and Tiago (am I missing anyone )? Have all played in our midfield 3 this season in the 12 games so far in the league.
    Thats mad,is it any wonder we can't show any consistency.

Minamino did too at Brighton and didnt Shaq play CM when he came on ?

Spurs have had Sissiko 10 ,Ndombele 11 and Holberg 12 games.

Lo Celso 9 appearances

Its no surprise that since Fab went to CB the midfield hasnt been as good. Hes a big part of our success in the last 2 years.
    We havent seen Thiago play more than a game and a half yet we are counting on him coming back. Ox is never fit and will most likely be out as quick as he comes back.
    Keita, he can simply fuck off. I had it with him over a year ago. Hes a waste of space and money and needs to be moved on asap.

Jones has been a big plus but to me he seems to step things up in the second half, seems that he plays things a little safe in the first half. Hes improving all the time though and will get better.
    Hendo is the lynchpin. We cant do without him at all really. Wijnaldum plays well the majority of the time.
    We have played well against the good and decent teams. It's the dross at the bottom where we are coming unstuck and that to me is a mindset issue. Today was yet another of those days, especially in the first half.

Agree with 19 when he says we are being overrun and outnumbered at times.
    Last edited by teesred; 13th December 2020 at 11:04 PM.

Well today not a great result but better than I thought it was going to be Ian.

Wednesday is a different game I like most expect Spurs to sit deep and hit on the counter.

Spurs would take a draw for sure lets see I expect a response from todays performance.