Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Midfield

Quote Originally Posted by boom-klopp View Post
    the rest

keita can f..k off
    ox can f..k off
    jones who just doesn’t have it sadly. i see no redeeming factor i can say hmm we can work with that. what does he actually do??
    milner who will be gone
    gini who will be gone
    I think Jones is there to create really. Can see him producing through balls, one-twos and shots from range over time - something between a "Gerrard-lite" or "Coutinho-lite" if you will, though he has probably had to play more Football than we would have wanted this season to do with injuries and thus the flaws in his game have been exposed a little bit of late.

Milner is contracted until the Summer of 2022 I believe. So we have him for the remainder of this season and we have him for next season too, unless I'm mistaken or he goes to Leeds in the Summer. Which buys us a little bit more time for player acquisition / developing Jones.

Sooooo what's going on?

Thiago is the only midfielder doing anything

Time to play 6-1-3

?

Or maybe 4-1-5?

He's not though.

For some reason in the last few games Hendo's been asked to whip balls in from the half space like there's no tomorrow... which I don't like. He's basically become the primary crosser from the right instead of TAA.

Wij is... Wij. He's been getting in advanced positions more of late but the goals haven't come. He should have won a peno against the Saints and he scored today.

Let's see how we set up against United.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

The 3 tonight had good balance about them. Jimmy Milner will sleep tonight !!

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Does the Iron Man Milner have a half marathon or marathon on later ?

Love the man, even more when Hendos not in the midfield.
    Last edited by CCTV; 29th January 2021 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Wijnaldum was deeper than Thiago on plenty of occasions which made me pretty happy.

I know there's a fair bit of fluidity with our Midfield and thus viewing them as rigidly as a 6 and two 8s simplifies it a touch, but I definitely want to see Thiago getting more 8-esque work in than screening the back four.

Was lovely to see the cohesion tonight. Spurs admittedly permitted us a fair bit of room but that was a good set-up.

Thought Wij was energetic and kept the ball pretty well tonight, played well.

Personally I thought Wijnaldum was anonymous first half, busy in the second.

Milner was everywhere. Was great.

He can't play like that all the time of course, but he was on it tonight.

They looked ok against a p.poor Spurs. Against a good, proactive, or defensively solid team, we need more than what our midfield(ers) often offer,