Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Midfield

Just to add (getting midfield options back) we have the Spurs match on the Wednesday, then Palace early on the Saturday, by which time plenty of our lads will be zapped, BUT our next League game (after Palace) will be on the FOLLOWING Sunday, so that will hopefully give some players a much-needed bit of rest/recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Just to add (getting midfield options back) we have the Spurs match on the Wednesday, then Palace early on the Saturday, by which time plenty of our lads will be zapped, BUT our next League game (after Palace) will be on the FOLLOWING Sunday, so that will hopefully give some players a much-needed bit of rest/recovery.
    I hope so, and on firmino always coming from the front, I agree but he's getting deeper and deeper- and the problem is he's lost the ball alot in that area which is making getting grip of the game harder and he's not there upfront when we need him to be.

Everyone goes on about the CB issues, but there's other problems too

I do wonder if we'll ever get a chance to see klopps strongest 11 this season (minus VVD unless he's back sooner )
    Last edited by Kev0909; 14th December 2020 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Well today not a great result but better than I thought it was going to be Ian.

Wednesday is a different game I like most expect Spurs to sit deep and hit on the counter.

Spurs would take a draw for sure lets see I expect a response from todays performance.
    Mourinho side playing counter-attacking? Surely not!

I think the answer to a lot of our issues is to take a step back, because of injuries and fatigue we simply cannot play what our game evolved to last season and too many things appear to be going slightly a wry as a result.

I think we are being outnumbered in midfield because we have less bodies in there, as I have stated numerous times, for me what was the DM role evolved last season to a CM role with all 3 mids rotating through the positions at its very best, we can't play that with the defenders we have out, Jones while he has been very good otherwise has been woeful in the press for me, so that aspect needs looking at in the overall scheme of trying to get as much of what worked brilliantly for the last 2 seasons doing so again.

I think the best course of action, particularly with more teams really trying to have a go rather than sitting very deep in numbers like last season is to simply revert to what evolved to a CM role now reverting to an oldschool out and out orthodox sitting DM role.

Rather than being outnumbered in midfield by being more defensive and leaving one or both full backs back, I think we'd fair a lot better keeping both full backs high so everything going forward works and with the DM essentially being that third defender, to get across to players or drop in when either CB goes across to a player.

There is also greater emphasis on RCM LCM and both full backs to be defensively aware in the midfield area and stay with players who might be open for an easy transition as in if RCM is high RB picks up the player looking for the transition that side if RB is high RCM picks up that player

Alisson

Matip______Fabinho
    Henderson
    Jones_______Wijnaldum
    Trent_____________Robertson
    Firmino
    Salah_______________Mane

That works better for me, we have the balance and greater attacking threat and numbers in midfield with both full backs high, which should help Mane, Mo and Bobby, they can all go and press a lot higher as normal and create and win second balls and Hendo can distribute from a little deeper with the switches, balls over the top and long diagonals and with that shape the forwards and full backs will be better supported for those balls to be played and we'll be better placed to win second balls.
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 14th December 2020 at 05:42 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Because I don't want to make another topic

Do you all think we do good enough from set-pieces?

Think we were the best team at them offensively last year iirc. Now without VVD we're a lot less scary, but I'd expect we're about average.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

I don't mind how we score, set pieces or open play. We won't get much help from the midfield, no matter who plays there.
    Last edited by skyebo; 15th December 2020 at 01:25 PM.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Think we were the best team at them offensively last year iirc. Now without VVD we're a lot less scary, but I'd expect we're about average.
    Corners are ok I think, free kicks are left to be desired

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

Well, the IX is coming back. He's another option to Trent and Fabinho I suppose.
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    I don't mind how we score, set pieces or open play.
    Yes but being good at both, obviously = better results