Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Midfield

I doubt Thiago was deemed fit enough for half an hour, rdu.

Think Milner played very well today, not sure I'd have liked to see Oxo instead of him. Jones was poor so maybe it would have made more sense to drop him.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Milner was the best of the three. I’d start Milner, Wijnaldum and Thiago at Southampton

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I doubt Thiago was deemed fit enough for half an hour, rdu.

Think Milner played very well today, not sure I'd have liked to see Oxo instead of him. Jones was poor so maybe it would have made more sense to drop him.
    I don't want milner and henderson in the same team

Honestly, it's not good enough going forward.

Maybe if we're in europe and holding on to a 2-0 away win or something

For the past few games Hendo's been the main creator from the half space with his whipped balls into the box. It's mighty fine weapon to have in our arsenal, but it's not enough on its own.

I tend to agree - we shouldn't need both of them (unless Hendo is playing very deep). Think them two + a dynamic midfielder like Jones could work but he's still too raw. Oxo might be the answer but he was dreadful against WBA so it'll take time for him to get up to speed.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

We wont walk the league this season.

But we definitely will be in with a title challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

100% just not enough quality on the ball. Graft yes but 2 England level midfielders the fulcrum of a so called world champion... No chance..

We have needed our Captain many times in the recent past but when I saw Milner and Hendo tonight - I knew we wouldn’t score. Yes we had chances - oh so many - and the front 3 were miles off it... but I just knew it - sorry.

You need better and more confident ball control across the middle - see Thiago’s 17 minutes. Milner was good but that is his game.. Hendo looked poor tonight

Not enough creativity, pace, control, or goals in our midfield. It's good that Thiago is back, but he alone cannot provide all of that, never mind that we really shouldn't be asking/expecting him to do a large chunk of those things right away.

We still have too many 'functional' midfielders. As soon as we play two or more of them in the same team, we lose a lot of the attacking part of our game. As you say, in certain games (especially away in Europe) that is fine, but when it comes to comes to games we should be winning, and/or games where the onus is on us to attack, we need more players in midfield who can offer a fair bit more going forward than our 'functional' midfielders can.

going into next season we have

thiago who misses games through injury.
    hendo who misses games and is getting on.
    fab who may be used in defence as well if tight bastards fsg have their way.

the rest

keita can f..k off
    ox can f..k off
    jones who just doesn’t have it sadly. i see no redeeming factor i can say hmm we can work with that. what does he actually do??
    milner who will be gone
    gini who will be gone

that leaves us very light. if we don’t get two top quality cm’s in summer, we can forget the league and or cl.

Starting an off the pace Milner just back from injury and Jones who was a disaster v WBA last time out was as shit an idea as starting the midfield that played v Villa that had never played well together since mid 18/19 when what was 'good' from our midfield was a long way short of what was good last season
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”