For one sports reporter based in Germany, Liverpool's pairing with RB Leipzig in the last 16 of the Champions League was particularly poignant.
Guido Schäfer is the chief reporter at Leipziger Volkszeitung, focusing on the fortunes of Die Roten Bullen for the regional newspaper.
He’s also a personal friend and former teammate of Jürgen Klopp.
The pair played together for six years at FSV Mainz 05 between 1990 and 1996, but their careers would take on two very different trajectories.
While Klopp went on to become the manager of Mainz and later Borussia Dortmund and, of course, the Reds, Schäfer’s journey turned towards the media and when his boots were hung up in 1999, he took up a full-time role in football reporting.
The 56-year-old will be situated in the press box on the night Klopp takes the Reds to the Red Bull Arena for the tie’s first leg in February – and he chatted to Liverpoolfc.com to give us his verdict on the draw and tell us more about his friendship with the boss.

First of all, Guido, what is the reaction in Germany to the Champions League draw which sees Liverpool come up against Leipzig?
I would say I think it’s a dream come true. I spoke with the chief marketing officer from RB Leipzig, Florian Schultz, and a few other guys and they are all happy. I think Liverpool were the most attractive team in the pots. In fact, we all love Liverpool; all Germans love Liverpool because of Jürgen Klopp. Therefore, it’s a great tie and we are looking forward to it.
It’s the first time the teams have played against each other, but there are links between them. Naby Keita, for example…
Yes, I think there is a relationship between Leipzig and Liverpool and Klopp because of Naby. Kloppo fell in love with him a couple of years ago and he came to Liverpool. It was a good deal for all: for the player, for Kloppo, for Liverpool and for RB Leipzig. They are all happy for Naby at Leipzig that he plays for King Klopp. There is a very good relationship between the clubs.
Tell us about RB Leipzig, what kind of team are Liverpool coming up against?
They are a very good team. The favourite will be Liverpool, but I think there will be two giants sitting on the sidelines: Klopp and Julian Nagelsmann. For me, Klopp is the best coach in the world – that’s the truth – and Nagelsmann is the best coach in Germany. He is a great, great talent, has a great brain. He is a young and dynamic coach and so this will be a good challenge between the coaches.
How have they performed so far this season?
As I said, they are very good, very good. They have many different tactics and in a match or between games, they can switch often with new tactics and new line-ups. I think it is a great advantage for them and Nagelsmann. It’s not so easy to handle this team: they have good individual quality, but as a team the teamwork is outstanding. Very good. Klopp will know this.
They also came through a tough group to reach the last 16…
Yes, it was a very tough group with Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain, but I think they deserved to go through into the knockout stage. As I said, they are a good team – and they showed in the summer in Lisbon that they’re able to beat great teams like Atletico Madrid. But we know also that Liverpool is one of the best teams in the world – last year they were the best team. We are looking forward to it and we are happy with the tie. Especially for me, it’s special, a dream come true.
a dream come true💕king kloppo is on the way💯⚽️🥊 https://t.co/4Qg08YaYSc
— schfer_g (Guido Schäfer) 14th Dec 12:10
Tell us about yourself – I’m told you used to play with a certain Liverpool manager…
You can say I’m happy with the challenge against Jürgen for RB Leipzig. We played together for Mainz for six years. He is such a lovely guy. The best thing you can ever say about a very successful man like Jürgen is that he never changed his personality or behaviour, he is still a lovely guy. I met him last summer in Mainz and it was great to spend time with him. He is a great man – but I am sure you all at Liverpool know that Jürgen is a great guy!
Have you spoken to Jürgen since the draw was made?
Yes, we exchanged a couple of messages after the draw. He sent me a smiley and I sent him, ‘A dream comes true!’ As I said, we met last summer in Mainz for three or four hours and we celebrated the old stories from when we were players, teammates, and we had a good laugh and a good night.
What has it been like for you to see Jürgen’s success, from when you played together to where he is now?
We are all proud of him. So proud about what Jürgen has achieved. I never thought that he had the ability to be a coach when we were players together, but he was a very tough player. Very emotional, very emotional – no drinking, no alcohol. I think he has said himself he wasn’t the most skilled player, but his character was outstanding and all the players that play for him, they are little Kloppos! They have the same character and the same power and this, for me, is one of the reasons for success at Liverpool.
What about your own story? How does one go from footballer to sports reporter and editor, covering the game for a newspaper?
During my career in the second division as a professional, I studied economics and I wrote for a newspaper in Mainz, just a few little articles. After my career had finished, I asked the newspaper if it was possible to do this as a full-time profession and so, since 1998 I have been writing articles about football. It’s a very good situation for me because I love football: I played football and now I write about it! I guess I have some advantages, I know some things because I played the game and I think the players and coaches know I played a little bit and, therefore, I love the game. I don’t know if all journalists love the game, but I do.
Obviously the second leg will be at Anfield. We don’t know how the world will look in March when the game comes around, but what would it mean to you if you were able to visit?
Anfield… Anfield is legendary. A real legend. I know Anfield only from television sadly, but I have spoken with many, many who have played there or been there to watch a game. It is a special stadium – a stadium which is able to win matches. I would be very happy to visit Anfield!

More...