Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021222324252629 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games 26/12/20

For some reason I don't think they particularly fancy Philips, sky. Williams is a long term project, but bringing in another decent CB, let's call him Jules for argument's sake, would leave us with him + Williams + Philips + Fabinho + Matip sporadically virtually until the end of the season.

Then in the summer we move Matip on - I'm sure there will be a queue of German clubs willing to take him for... okayish money..., Nat's contract runs out (I believe) and we're left with VVD + Gomez + Jules + Williams + Fabinho if needs must for the CB position.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

I don't get why Philips hasn't had much more time. He's been solid when he's played. I would certainly have expected him to have played against the more physical teams as he's a bigger build than Williams. Both have done well when bring called upon but it would be folly to rely on them but I can honestly see that happening.
    The fact that Pearce said its unlikely a couple of weeks ago is telling for a reason. Its either a flat out No or a smokescreen for deal out of nowhere that he's been told to keep a lid on.
    Joyce, Reddy and Romano wouldn't be in on that too though.

Matip getting another injury wouldn't have had much bearing on it either as they know its nailed on that was going to happen. It will happen more than a few times in whats left of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Ideally we'd have four or five lined up so we can just pick the financially most sensible one.
    Or the best one .

I don’t think either Phillips or Williams have the pace to make it at the highest level, particularly with a team who play such a high line. The way Williams got left for dead on Sunday to be bailed out by Alisson was a real worry. You can develop your game through good coaching and experience but you won’t get any quicker

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I don’t think either Phillips or Williams have the pace to make it at the highest level, particularly with a team who play such a high line. The way Williams got left for dead on Sunday to be bailed out by Alisson was a real worry. You can develop your game through good coaching and experience but you won’t get any quicker
    Fabinho has been caught on the turn a couple of times

It's what I loved about gomez when he was at his best before injury's

fast and strong beast at times..

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I don't get why Philips hasn't had much more time. He's been solid when he's played. I would certainly have expected him to have played against the more physical teams as he's a bigger build than Williams. Both have done well when bring called upon but it would be folly to rely on them but I can honestly see that happening.
    The fact that Pearce said its unlikely a couple of weeks ago is telling for a reason. Its either a flat out No or a smokescreen for deal out of nowhere that he's been told to keep a lid on.
    Joyce, Reddy and Romano wouldn't be in on that too though.

Matip getting another injury wouldn't have had much bearing on it either as they know its nailed on that was going to happen. It will happen more than a few times in whats left of this season.
    Me neither Tees, MOM in an earlier game too.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Pulis sacked by Sheffield Wednesday after 10 games in charge.

Well he had more than enough time to get them into the Premier League, what does he expect ffs

Coady is the same, though is very good in a 3 at back with the other 2 beside him with pace.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Or the best one .
    Ehh... it's all about the balance of quality v price.

Edit: What I mean by that is that all the players we've got lined up will likely be pretty much identical in terms of quality.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

It will also have a knock-on effect for Trent in terms of how far he will (or more likely won't) venture forward, as he knows he'll have to contribute to covering in those situations - don't really recall Trent posing much in the way of an attacking threat in the last 20 minutes or so as he seemed to play with the Handbrake on somewhat and the Williams factor will have contributed.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay