Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games 26/12/20

did Newcastle play their strongest team possible or is our fixture more important?
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    City may not be the free-scoring Juggernaut they once were, but they're still very much our main challenger for this League season as far as I'm concerned.

Some people point to Spurs due to what Son and Kane are managing, others to United because of their luck with injuries and decisions, others to Chelsea because of their attacking depth - but it's still City and I'll need a lot of convincing to have my mind changed.

Fact is that nobody else remotely matters provided we keep handling business. 24 League matches left - get more points from them than anyone else, acquire the Title.

That simple.
    City have a couple of difficult away fixtures coming up.. we win the next 3 and beat Man-city at home when that fixture is played . we will be pretty much be on for the league.. 18 wins from 24 does it for me.. That'll give us 85 points.. a coupla draws in there takes it up to 87.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    City may not be the free-scoring Juggernaut they once were, but they're still very much our main challenger for this League season as far as I'm concerned.

Some people point to Spurs due to what Son and Kane are managing, others to United because of their luck with injuries and decisions, others to Chelsea because of their attacking depth - but it's still City and I'll need a lot of convincing to have my mind changed.

Fact is that nobody else remotely matters provided we keep handling business. 24 League matches left - get more points from them than anyone else, acquire the Title.

That simple.
    We’ll finish 15 points clear of them all I reckon. Win tomorrow and every game up to united and win that one I reckon that’ll have us sitting pretty.

We are the best team in the league but VAR scares the shit out of me.

I wish like Noel Gallagher said today get rid of its awful I totally agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    We’ll finish 15 points clear of them all I reckon. Win tomorrow and every game up to united and win that one I reckon that’ll have us sitting pretty.
    15 points would be incredible.

I'm quietly confident we'll win the League, but I think it will be tighter than we might want. City have only conceded 12 goals in the League this season so if they can hang on to our coat-tails for long enough until they can balance scoring slightly more whilst remaining defensively tight they will be dangerous.

It's also worth adding that they conceded one goal in the Champion's League group stages. One. They aren't as resilient as us mentally, but they won't go away.

We're a seriously tough nut for them to have to crack over the course of a season mind you. It would only take one or two more instances of them dropping points when we don't (especially if they play first and we go on to win) and they'll be facing an enormous psychological challenge.

Just beat West Brom and remind them who we are. Then best our next opponent - and on and on it goes. We're relentless.

Beating West Brom won’t be easy at all - the timing of the game is set up for us to drop points.

We need to be super focussed - need to take treat the game like it’s Spurs not Fulham.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Beating West Brom won’t be easy at all - the timing of the game is set up for us to drop points.

We need to be super focussed - need to take treat the game like it’s Spurs not Fulham.
    Focus is key, for sure.

Main concern I would have (outside of how physical it will be) is the tone we set in the first 20 minutes and ensuring we aren't caught napping. Whilst it's easy to think the number of days we had to recover should mean we boss it, there's a nag in the mind in regards to how well we thrive with rhythm and that the best part of 8 days between matches has the capacity to disrupt us a touch.

Still quite confident though.

4 minutes in and Patrick Bamford wins and converts an early penalty for Leeds.
    Leeds 1-0 Hardcase Cloggers

Leeds keeper comes out to catch a cross, careers into the back of the Burnley player, drops the ball, Ashley Barnes puts it in the net but the ref inexplicably chalks it off. There was no foul whatsoever the keeper just dropped the ball.
    Couldn’t use VAR because he blew his whistle before Barnes put the ball in the net. Complete mess by the ref, Burnley very hard done by.

That's a great result for Leeds and a clean sheet for them.