Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v West Brom (Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Or...alternatively.....we could lob pass it across the width of the pitch - minimum 8 times consecutively - rendering opposition defenders dizzy - then switch it one more time before Trent hits a high ball at over 12 feet from the deck across the penalty spot - Bobby can put his boot into Mané’s cupped hands synchronising a trapeze artist lift...Bobby rising fully 15 feet into the air - like a Salmon - as he headers the ball down and into the net.

Lolzer, we did actually score lots of our breakthrough goals as I have described last season, you need to pay more attention Steveo, we scored A LOT of our crucial goals from doing what I described, it isn't 'my idea' it is my offering a description of what was happening a lot of times last season and you'd expect the knowledgable one of all posters to be acutely aware of that, still, you have the right audience here I guess
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Or you could do what I suggest i.e. slow, slow, quick, quick + some decent movement from our forwards and from a midfielder or two (something they don't do anywhere near enough, if at all), which will result in getting behind packed/organised defences, and hopefully a goal or two.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Or you could do what I suggest i.e. slow, slow, quick, quick + some decent movement from our forwards and from a midfielder or two (something they don't do anywhere near enough, if at all), which will result in getting behind packed/organised defences, and hopefully a goal or two.
    Is it Football, or Strictly ?
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    We were trying that, unfortunately Noodle the idea falls down badly that doing as you suggest relies on moving the ball quickly, playing out wide to one flank, quickly back to the centre for an instant switch to the other side, that's how you move lines through passing, you have to keep movng the ball from side to centre to opposite side very quickly using switches and we only have Henderson who can play them to the required quality

If we want to keep breaking such sides down this season we have to do more of what worked so effectively last season and/or play Ox and have him driving the ball forward going past a player to bring another out opening up space, we're not going to do it by quickly moving the ball from side to side and threading the ball through the eye of a needle because we don't have the players to do that

If you aint got the players, being more direct and winning the second balls has the same affect
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 28th December 2020 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    We were trying that, unfortunately Noodle the idea falls down badly that doing as you suggest relies on moving the ball quickly, playing out wide to one flank, quickly back to the centre for an instant switch to the other side, that's how you move lines through passing, you have to keep movng the ball from side to centre to opposite side very quickly using switches and we only have Henderson who can play them to the required quality

If we want to keep breaking such sides down this season we have to do more of what worked so effectively last season and/or play Ox and have him driving the ball forward going past a player to bring another out opening up space, we're not going to do it by quickly moving the ball from side to side and threading the ball through the eye of a needle because we don't have the players to do that
    We weren't doing that much, if at all. You need to be prepared to attempt quick one-twos, which combined with some good movement will open up teams like WBA. You just have to be prepared to lose possession if doing such a thing doesn't come off.
    We sacrificed doing such a thing in favour of keeping position and taking a slow, methodical approach. I never like us setting up that way, and it cost us yesterday, as it has in other games. Even Man City fans bemoan that approach, which is a hallmark of their game.

A number of things can help break down stubborn sides, and those are creativity, pace, and being able to mix things up. Yesterday we offered very little in the way of any of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Lolzer, we did actually score lots of our breakthrough goals as I have described last season, you need to pay more attention Steveo, we scored A LOT of our crucial goals from doing what I described, it isn't 'my idea' it is my offering a description of what was happening a lot of times last season and you'd expect the knowledgable one of all posters to be acutely aware of that, still, you have the right audience here I guess
    I know mate - just thought it would be funny to picture the trapeze leap concept.

Would be effin dangerous if the landing wasn’t good.

Every game is different - what works one week doesn’t the next, we have been mentality monsters BUT there needs to be more to become a great side. Serial winners need more in their Arsenal.

Need to keep adding top class quality to any title winning side - we added Jota - Thiago hardly plays - lost Lovren and did diddly squat in summer 2019.

Any team will run out of steam if it does no more than try to replicate what took it to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I know mate - just thought it would be funny to picture the trapeze leap concept.

Would be effin dangerous if the landing wasn’t good.

Every game is different - what works one week doesn’t the next, we have been mentality monsters BUT there needs to be more to become a great side. Serial winners need more in their Arsenal.

Need to keep adding top class quality to any title winning side - we added Jota - Thiago hardly plays - lost Lovren and did diddly squat in summer 2019.

Any team will run out of steam if it does no more than try to replicate what took it to the top.
    We added the right players in Thiago and Jota for continuing our development, unfortunately Thiago only played a game and a half and has since been out injured and for the increased variation of movement and ability to play through teams and to get the very best out of Jota we really need Thiago fit in our midfield.

The point is that what I posted did work, we didn't do it always and shouldn't but it is great to play a few of those and win the first or second balls to unsettle teams playing like that and when we do win it or the second balls start a point of attack with a couple of their packed lines taken out of the game by that, and in the absence of Thiago's ball through the eye of a needle ability, we didn't try that enough yesterday

That was a poor show.
    Stats say 78% possession and only 2 shots on target (WBA had 3).
    Big Sam probably had good knowledge of us prior to this game and also done his homework and drilled his team well.
    Probably fancied his chances v Leeds without such prior knowledge and preparation.
    We drew 1-1 with WBA in 2013/14 following a Kolo Toure howler that perhaps was more significant in us losing the title race that season than Stevie G's howler v Chelsea.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25900551

If we had got the second goal with the umpteen chances we created in the first half on Sunday this would have been a very different outcome.
    WBA going in at half time only one goal down would have been very heartening to Big Sam and his boys.
    His game plan worked because we couldn't finish.
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

I don't think it was just the lack of finishing justin. We didn't get into good positions often enough.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non