Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games 01/01/21

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    But that list doesn't take into account that we sold coutinho in order to pay for VVD and Alison, for example.
    We didn't though (at least not in VvD's case).

Aside from the fact that we bought Virgil before we sold Coutinho, there's also the fact that needs reminding whenever people argue that,.....".... we knew we were going to sell Coutinho and get that money"......that we actually tried to buy Virgil the summer before,(when we got slapped by the league for tapping him up at Soutthampton). At that point we didn't know we were going to sell Coutinho, much less get 145 Million for him.

The club had been planning on bringing in Virgil from as far back as the end of the previous season, long before the Coutinho-to-Barcelona rumours ever started.
    Which means the money to get him was already there and buying him wasn't contingent on selling anyone and getting the funds that way.

Arguably the Coutinho funds allowed us to get Allison and Fabinho, who both came in the transfer window that followed Coutinho's departure.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    On transfers. On wages we're currently spending about as much as United and City.
    Which has been more than offset by us having spent the FOURTEENTH most in the PL over the last FIVE (not one) years. Yet again, we are the FIFTH richest club in the world. We can afford to be near to/at the the top of the tree on both counts.

Also if you believe the figures Man City provide as to the wages they pay, as opposed to what their players actually receive, you need to give your head a wobble.

Interesting positioning for the 18/19 season in top 20 teams:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6150916

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Which has been more than offset by us having spent the FOURTEENTH most in the PL over the last FIVE (not one) years. Yet again, we are the FIFTH richest club in the world. We can afford to be near to/at the the top of the tree on both counts.

Also if you believe the figures Man City provide as to the wages they pay, as opposed to what their players actually receive, you need to give your head a wobble.
    How do you know our wages are accurate, or indeed anybody's ?
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

another 400m pls
    Fat Frank got tanked today

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Which is why I said his real test will be Europa League and taking them far in the Champions League.
    Winning the SPL is a minimum.

You can only win what you're in.
    I wasnt knocking what you said but when i have read on here that Stevie is a shoe in after Klopp it makes a person roll their eyes

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    Interesting positioning for the 18/19 season in top 20 teams:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6150916
    What does this prove?

That's an estimation of our perceived wealth or more accurately our "worth" and value, rather than an accounting of what we have to spend (cash-in-hand, revenue).

You may be worth 2 Billion GBP according to most estimates, but that doesn't mean you have even half of that to spend or as revenue.

It's different to the likes of the Shiekhs and oil clubs whose value and worth is almost always a direct correlation to what they CAN spend.

All of which is to say that, we have to live within our means.
    They don't.

And we're also no different to City in terms of what our own players actually receive versus their reported wages.
    You think those endorsement deals that the likes of Salah or Mane or even Fabinho's Adidas deal doesn't count to what they actually get?
    All clubs structure their player deals this way.
    Not just the rich clubs.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Nope. Us spending the 14th most gets offset by the high wages we pay. See, it works both ways.

We've discussed the figures before - the clubs spends money it makes and the owners haven't taken a penny out of it iirc. I'm sure CC will correct me on that one, but that's how the figures looked when we last discussed them on here in early fall.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    What does this prove?
    It was just another set of statistics following my current list of what the top 10 current clubs paid to assemble their squads.It also highlights that LFC havent just started spending