Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games 01/01/21

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    The difference is that I and others have provided (as much as they can be) figures/information that backs up what we say e.g. being the fifth richest club in the world, yet only have the fourteenth highest net spend in the PL (not even the world). That on it's own suggests that we are correct.

Spending money is not the only/main factor when assessing how good a set of owners are when it comes to backing their manager. We could spend £300m, but that's not going to reflect quite as well on FSG if we have to sell VVD, Salah and Mane to raise those funds. It would be like a kids parents telling him he can have a Playstation 5 for his birthday, but he's going to have to sell his bike, mobile phone, and his dog. Is he going to think as much of his parents? I think not.
    It's easy to speculate how much you could spend using someone else's money. Maybe you and a few others would see things differently if you were spending your own.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    It's easy to speculate how much you could spend using someone else's money. Maybe you and a few others would see things differently if you were spending your own.
    Yes it is easy to speculate based on our relative position to other teams and their level of wealth.

I won't mention our position of wealth and how much we've spent relative to those in our league again, but you get the idea.

Yes it is easy to speculate based on our relative position to other teams and their level of wealth.

I won't mention our position of wealth and how much we've spent relative to those in our league again, but you get the idea.
    And what trophies are these clubs winning. The ones who are less wealthy but spending more than us.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

And what trophies are these clubs winning. The ones who are less wealthy but spending more than us.
    What has that got to do with anything? I'm not concerned with what they are doing, only what we are, or in our case aren't doing.

We've won the trophies we have largely because of Klopp. I doubt we would have won either of them under any other manager given the financial constraints he has been/is under.

What has that got to do with anything? I'm not concerned with what they are doing, only what we are, or in our case aren't doing.

We've won the trophies we have largely because of Klopp. I doubt we would have won either of them under any other manager given the financial constraints he has been/is under.
    You brought other clubs into it, that's why i replied.

You brought other clubs into it, that's why i replied.
    Yes in regards to how much they have spent relative to us. Not in regards to how well (or not) they have used that money.

Yes in regards to how much they have spent relative to us. Not in regards to how well (or not) they have used that money.
    Which goes back to my original point from a thread months and months ago. It isn't how much you spend, it's how wisely you spend it.

Which goes back to my original point from a thread months and months ago. It isn't how much you spend, it's how wisely you spend it.
    That only matters so much. Klopp and/or our scouts are only mortals. They cannot/will not keep coming up with miracles and being able to work on a 'limited' (for us/them) budget. That is one of the reasons Dortmund started coming unstuck. He kept having players sold under him, whilst also having to work/win things on a budget (something that has/is happening to him now, which imho is why FSG hired him). That is not a viable long term strategy for a team looking to win the big prizes on a consistent basis, especially when you are competing with the likes of Man City, Man U, Chelsea, PSG, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

You also have to factor in the way that Klopp plays. Something that also played a part in why things went south with Dortmund, and will quite possibly go the same way with us (we're already having issues) if we don't keep refreshing/beefing up our squad.
    Last edited by RedNoodle; 3rd January 2021 at 09:42 PM.

Just watching highlights of the Chelsea v Man city game, and as usual they are ****ing themselves silly over Man City and KDB in particular, despite one, if not two of their goals coming about in the 'usual fashion' (one of them via a Chelsea mistake) and KDB missing a chance that I'd be peed off to miss, even when my health was even worse than usual.

Chelsea being pretty poor given how much they've spent, combined with teams still not stopping Man City from getting the ball out wide for someone to play a low ball into the box for someone to put in from a couple of yards in front of the goal is why Man City are winning games and rising up the table. They and KDB are certainly not currently playing football worthy of 'painting' the tv/radio/news studio.

When it comes to spending big money. I just dont want to miss out on a real quality player that will win you more games.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century