Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games 01/01/21

We need to beat them to knock them out if their stride as we did with Spurs.

at least city are missing 5 players apparently for the chelsea game due to rona

hopefully they don't get the win

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I don't think the United game matters CD - it's just three points. Both teams will likely drop another 15 before the season is over. We never turn up against them and they have a better chance of winning it than we do.
    The thing is, I don't fully believe this season will be fully completed as everyone imagines it will be.

I believe the League and the clubs are deluding themselves somewhat on the whole no need for a 'circuit-breaker' break with the increasing number of infections now even affecting match schedules.

With all that in mind, I strongly believe that it is a must-win game because at some point there will be some big decisions to be made with regards to how to close out the season with the impending Euros coming up (and which will NOT be moved again).

I can just see them deciding to award the title on a points-per-game basis or some other such basis, rather than, say, a playoffs or something like that.

And the closer United are (with the ability to argue against us being awarded the title in those circumstances) the more likely it would be for the league to "gift" it to them as the form team or some such other bullshite criteria (particularly if we're still struggling for form them).

The question of ending the season early last season was an easy one with regards to deciding who got the title since we were so far ahead.
    This season they'd be hard pressed to argue against a playoffs with the table the way it is and any of the top 6 teams with a legitimate argument to make that they could win it. But the circumstances might be that even a "bubble" scenario playoffs type situation might simply not be feasible.

I just don't think we can afford to be dropping points in the hope and expectation that our form will pick up once again later on when we get injured players back and whatnot.
    There might not be a 'later on' to speak of, (much less even an "end-of-the-season") with things going the way they are with this pandemic.

It will be much harder to argue awarding them the title over us in a close race (or tied points) scenario, if we've beaten them on what might likely be our only head-to-head game.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Well, although it's only on Goal Difference, we're ultimately still, just about, top.

Phenomenal effort considering everything we have faced as far as I'm concerned and as annoying as some of the 6 draws have been, it's 6 points that might be of value later on - only lost the one League game let's not forget.

Of our potential challengers, not many have a lot of "spare" weaponry with which to reinforce their current positions. City arguably have the most dangerous Ace up their sleeve in Aguero if they can get him fit and firing. United have been fortuitous with injuries so to bolster what they have would require something in the transfer market.

We on the other hand have Thiago and Jota to come into the fold over the coming weeks. So we are in a position where you'd certainly say there's room for improvement - and improving upon being top after 16 games is a good place to be.

Obviously, the biggest difference is that MUFC play poor-to-average and win, we draw. I'd like to think the sketchy finishing is down to tiredness and not a fundamental inability to create from the midfield but I've my doubts.

I must say I find it funny how villa manager & fans complain when they've got Jack Divish playing for them

if you dont think officials are cheating with the Var this season. You just need to see how they are handling it stinks of corruption
    They hide behind "its an honest mistake" where as in reality its not,
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    Obviously, the biggest difference is that MUFC play poor-to-average and win, we draw. I'd like to think the sketchy finishing is down to tiredness and not a fundamental inability to create from the midfield but I've my doubts.
    Get what you are saying, but they have also lost 3 times to our once though - and have only won one more match, at 10 to 9.

Of the remaining 22 games I'd back us to equal or better their number of wins, plus I'd back us to get 2 draws or a win and a draw in our matches against them.

Also back us to finish higher in the mini-table of the Top 6 or Top 7, which suggests we just need to up our win rate against those sides that sit deep and try to stifle, which Thiago (back) and Jota (back soon) should help with.

Still think their results will start to mirror performance shortly. They get a nice run going every season. Fernandez as of now is scoring with 50% of his attempts. That’s largely down to penalties. Yes we need to beat them on 17th but we’ve drawn 5 of last 9 and still top. They’ll fall apart soon.