Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Liverpool Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    What seems ‘weirdest’ to me is this overblown sense of VAR injustice the moment we are less than stellar - while most of last season as we were on top and pulling away - gaining a few nice VAR interjections en route - everything was fine and dandy.

Also - very few mention the injuries that City, Spurs or even United had to contend with last season while suddenly this season - we are the victims of an unprecedented crisis.

There are elements of truth to both viewpoints but seems ott to me.

The key issue we are facing is to do with a squad that isn’t big enough. We count numbers but plenty of those numbers are never fit.
    But so many results turn on small margins. We pulled off loads of remarkable victories last season, many of them last minute. I have no doubt many of them were influenced by our tremendous support. Even the away results. We kept pushing and we now have a team that is talented enough to find a way through. Many of those wins would have been described as shockingly bad if they were draws or losses. But they weren't.

19x is right that injustices do affect the mentality and belief of the team. There's no way we should've not won against Everton this season, for example, but we didn't partly because of the VAR decisions, partly because the team started to think they were cursed and partly because there was no fans there to remind them about who we are. It's not moaning to recognise this - its more like a scientific fact. Whether or not there is an actual conspiracy against us, it's still true.

Injuries can have a similar effect. If we don't win this year you could say its because our squad isn't good enough to cope with injuries but on some level, losing Van Djik is just bad luck and hard to recover from. Especially when you lose points unjustly in the game he was injured in. The doubts start to creep in that we are cursed. Psychology is important. Against Southampton, our world class right back has a momentary brain fart, Ings flukes a cross in off his shin, they defend excellently and the team loses a bit more belief in itself, unable to find the magic. To say we were shocking is a bit far fetched.

Klopp's complaining about fixture congestion and TV scheduling for those in European comps started before the injury crisis, by the way. He was very fair about it and often pointed out that other teams -our closest rivals - were in the same boat. Jose used it for mind games until things started going against him (as if Klopp was moaning about injuries, which he actually wasn't). That was shithouse behaviour. Klopp has actually been consistent on this issue and it's totally fair to say performances will drop and players will get tired if fixture arrangements don't take this into account. I can't remember who we played against fairly early on - someone like Wolves - but the commentator pointed out that we had already played 8 games more than them at that stage of the season.

Supporters on here turning on Klopp for whinging as if he's making excuses for our shockingly bad form are skirting a bit close to just being media hacks in my opinion. We are still top of the table and my prediction is we will probably win it when all is said and done. But this is a very strange year to know what's what and injury crises can be expected to put a spanner in the works no matter how good your recruitment policy is.

[QUOTE=Taksin;2676103]
    We are still top of the table and my prediction is we will probably win it when all is said and done

No we're not, utd are above us by 3 pts not that it's much but a lot of teams are close

[QUOTE=Kev0909;2676105]
    Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    We are still top of the table and my prediction is we will probably win it when all is said and done

No we're not, utd are above us by 3 pts not that it's much but a lot of teams are close
    Whether teams are close or not we are still at the top of the table. If you think I didn't know Man U have more points than us, rest assured I'm not completely stupid.

We have only lost 2 league games this season, one with VVD in the team, and one without him. We are not conceding any more goals while he's injured, we are just not finishing teams off. Pretty poor pointing the finger at VAR decisions when we can only manage draws against Brighton WBA and Fulham and lose at Southampton. Two of those were promoted and another one in 17th place. We need to look at our own shortcomings before looking at other things to blame and whinge over. We should be beating these teams, even with our injury problems our squad is much better than them all. How come no-one mentions VAR decisions that have gone against us in games that we've gone on to win, there must have been some of those. And people call Everton the bitters.
    Last edited by skyebo; 14th January 2021 at 02:37 PM.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    We have only lost 2 league games this season, one with VVD in the team, and one without him. We are not conceding any more goals while he's injured, we are just not finishing teams off. Pretty poor pointing the finger at VAR decisions when we can only manage draws against Brighton WBA and Fulham and lose at Southampton. Two of those were promoted and another one in 17th place. We need to look at our own shortcomings before looking at other things to blame and whinge over. We should be beating these teams, even with our injury problems our squad is much better than them all. How come no-one mentions VAR decisions that have gone against us in games that we've gone on to win, there must have been some of those. And people call Everton the bitters.
    Exactly, it's pathetic

I dont think it is pathetic at all when you have VAR no "mistakes" should happen it is either clear or its not.

VAR just doesnt work in football lets be honest for example, if someone runs at you at pace and you get the ball when slowed down its going to show contact so looks a foul.

Klopp is basically saying give the same decisions you gave last week to other teams thats not whining its being honest.

I would prefer to go back to the ref making the decision and you like it or lump it.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I dont think it is pathetic at all when you have VAR no "mistakes" should happen it is either clear or its not.

VAR just doesnt work in football lets be honest for example, if someone runs at you at pace and you get the ball when slowed down its going to show contact so looks a foul.

Klopp is basically saying give the same decisions you gave last week to other teams thats not whining its being honest.

I would prefer to go back to the ref making the decision and you like it or lump it.
    Klopp's been in the game long enough to know there will always be inconsistencies when it comes down to VAR and their decisions on it, because they are humans making all those decisions, unlike Goal line technology which is totally accurate all of the time. He should be asking his players why they weren't good enough to take all 3 points against Brighton WBA Fulham and Newcastle. If he needs VAR to win us games, maybe he needs to look for fresh talent.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

VAR has only been in a few years though and the whole point of it is mistakes aren't made.

I'm not excusing the games against those teams and not beating them those results happen and it isn't my point.

The most important person used to be the ref on the pitch amongst the action now he isn't some random stuck in Stockley Park clouds his judgment.

I think like the 3rd umpire in cricket that the VAR people should make the call not put doubts in a refs head.

Its a simple game complicated by idiots.

The goal line technology works 99.99% of the time.

Remember the goal Sheff Utd scored against Villa last season that got Villa a point could have kept them up.

All VAR had to do was check and say "ref the ball was in give Sheff Utd the goal"

Its a shambles they MUST have seen it and there are two reasons either they were all blind or they were cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    VAR has only been in a few years though and the whole point of it is mistakes aren't made.

I'm not excusing the games against those teams and not beating them those results happen and it isn't my point.

The most important person used to be the ref on the pitch amongst the action now he isn't some random stuck in Stockley Park clouds his judgment.

I think like the 3rd umpire in cricket that the VAR people should make the call not put doubts in a refs head.

Its a simple game complicated by idiots.
    There have always been inconsistencies with just referees making the decisions. One will see things differently than someone else, which is what's happening now with VAR. Its not settling arguments, it's causing them.
    Last edited by skyebo; 14th January 2021 at 03:43 PM.