Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The demise of Liverpool Football Club

What part of covid don't you get ?

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    What part of covid don't you get ?
    What part of 'stop being an FSG shill' don't you get?

They have just been talking about Fulham, yes FULHAM almost certainly going into the market to get another forward. Have they suddenly become immune to the effects of covid? Or is it possible, no matter how remote you may think it may be, that FSG are tight as **** and are/will use covid as yet another excuse (as they recently did - I posted elsewhere on this) as to why we/they won't be spending much, if any money, and are in fact "taking time when it comes to renewing contracts"?

Just wanted to add something, in terms of sides having a wobble, or worse, a capitulation.

There will be Twitterati out there bringing up Klopp's last season with Dortmund, 14/15 - and the fact that they were in the relegation zone.

What annoys me about that is that few will focus on the incredible turn-around that occurred in the second half of that season. They went from being a relegation zone side that year to nicking a Europa League spot at the Death.

People worry about us dropping out of the Top Four this year due to how competitive it is around us, coupled with our current malaise - and that's fine. But if we avoid defeat against Burnley, we will have lost two League games from our opening nineteen.

Klopp's 14/15 Dortmund had lost ELEVEN League matches by the 19-game mark.

If some of the footballing miracles of recent years of watching Liverpool aren't a source of comfort/inspiration for you right now, just look at turning around a season like that and what an accomplishment it was.

Win tomorrow and we have to fret about a 4-point deficit, whilst still having opportunities to play the rivals around us, thus putting (most of) our destiny into our own hands.

A win tomorrow is far from guaranteed.

Let’s not tempt fate... But please Sid - where do you get those happy pills...? I could use some.

Not that we are sinking in the North Atlantic BUT I get the impression you would have been still whistling a merry little tune as the salty water started seeping over the outside deck of the Titanic..!

Yes we've only lost two games, but we've dropped far too many points in far too many games to sides we should be routinely beating. Those dropped points and who they have been against are very reminiscent of a certain season under Rafa.

There are no prizes given out at the end of the league season for who lost the least number of games. Only for who amassed the most points.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    A win tomorrow is far from guaranteed.

Let’s not tempt fate... But please Sid - where do you get those happy pills...? I could use some.

Not that we are sinking in the North Atlantic BUT I get the impression you would have been still whistling a merry little tune as the salty water started seeping over the outside deck of the Titanic..!
    It IS far from guaranteed, my head says dour draw, but a win is very possible against a low-scoring side. We have conceded 4 goals in 8 games I think - let's aim for a clean sheet again - from there you "only" need one goal. Our problems would be much bigger if we were regularly conceding 2 or 3 per game.

In terms of the happy pills.....been through some things I guess (who hasn't?) and over time I have learned to think of things roughly as follows -

"Can you do something about it? If yes, then you have agency over it, so why worry? If no, then it's totally beyond your control, so why worry?"

It isn't utterly universally applicable, but it applies to so many things. I also found (for me, I appreciate some circumstances are very difficult, like a Fibromyalgia sufferer let's say) that my personal positivity breeds more personal positivity and that's a good cycle, as the same is equally true the other way - when I get negative (often OCD triggers, often self-criticism) I can make myself sink further.

Also Rollerblading taught me a lot! Might sound strange, but when you experience intense physical pain (falling off handrails / down stairs HURTS) yet find inner strength to overcome pain and fear to achieve a goal and you're successful, it breeds a surprising amount of resilience. Same with the likes of Nature-watching. Waiting hours to see a particular Bird and finally being rewarded, or seeing Butterflies on a patch of Wasteland where you scattered seeds two years before or whatever just breeds that sense of a (healthy) level of control.

Don't want to rabbit on and derail the thread, but should you ever want to discuss cognition in Off-Topic or something I am game! I have my BAD bouts of depression and easily shattered self-belief I assure you, but each time I come through one it's just further evidence to my Brain of "well look, you muddled through, AGAIN, you're the Bomb" and that sets me up for further small victories, which in turn breed big ones. "I can't draw today, but I can sharpen my pencils so I am ready for the next time I am so inclined" kind of thing. It's a process - just like a Football team!

Not derailing the thread at all mate.

Personally I love your descriptions of experiences - especially the outdoors, far more rewarding and fun than football is at the minute.

I envy your outlook. You have a wisdom that I cannot seem to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Just wanted to add something, in terms of sides having a wobble, or worse, a capitulation.

There will be Twitterati out there bringing up Klopp's last season with Dortmund, 14/15 - and the fact that they were in the relegation zone.

What annoys me about that is that few will focus on the incredible turn-around that occurred in the second half of that season. They went from being a relegation zone side that year to nicking a Europa League spot at the Death.

People worry about us dropping out of the Top Four this year due to how competitive it is around us, coupled with our current malaise - and that's fine. But if we avoid defeat against Burnley, we will have lost two League games from our opening nineteen.

Klopp's 14/15 Dortmund had lost ELEVEN League matches by the 19-game mark.

If some of the footballing miracles of recent years of watching Liverpool aren't a source of comfort/inspiration for you right now, just look at turning around a season like that and what an accomplishment it was.

Win tomorrow and we have to fret about a 4-point deficit, whilst still having opportunities to play the rivals around us, thus putting (most of) our destiny into our own hands.
    Agree largely, but Dortmund weren't Champions in 14/15 and it was at the end of an era.
    Today, many years later, Liverpool are Champions and it's not the end of an era.

We do need to get back on track.

Out of interest do you know what the points per game drop was between his last 2 seasons there ?

We are currently 18 points worse off after 18 games than at this stage last season.

Last year for the season 99 points and 2.6ppg.
    This year 34 points after 18 games, 1.88 ppg, on course for 71.77 points for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Agree largely, but Dortmund weren't Champions in 14/15 and it was at the end of an era.
    Today, many years later, Liverpool are Champions and it's not the end of an era.

We do need to get back on track.

Out of interest do you know what the points per game drop was between his last 2 seasons there ?

We are currently 18 points worse off after 18 games than at this stage last season.

This year 34 points after 18 games, 1.88 ppg, on course for 71.77 points for the season.
    Also, Dortmund were not missing all of their senior centre backs. This has had a major impact on our setup and overall play.

Striker's win you games, defences win you leagues. I do believe losing the CBs and other injuries has had this impact on our season.
    Our finishing is poor (missed a few against both wba and Newcastle) but it was the same last year. We always missed too many chances.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post

I can appreciate that makes for damning reading, but they are two wildly different set of circumstances.

One side was fresh of the back of being burned by missing out on a League title by one point, having achieved the third highest total in history at the time, with incredible fortune with injuries and a jubilant fanbase in stadiums who finally had self-belief.

The other is a side that has made it and (they're human) will have finally had the "release" of getting a League title, playing without a crowd, dealing with an unprecedented injury list all whilst continuing the adjustment to their style of play while they further bed in to a possession-based game.

They're chalk and cheese. Plus, honestly, even if we had a "normal" set of circumstances this year, there was no way that ourselves and City were ever likely to maintain the frankly ridiculous level created by a financially doped super-squad that has had players with PED suspicions.

United won 13 League titles under Fergie and rarely did they hit the 90-point mark, never mind nearly 100 points. With a few decent sides in the League at present I think "normal" totals can be expected - sides winning the League with 80-85 points for example. Now, if we only hit 71 points or so that is definitely poor by our standards, but 71 compared to let's say 85 definitely showcases that, whilst there may be work to do, it's not quite as "impossible" as a nearly 30-point gap would be.

Let's get through tonight. We then have a nice neat grouping of 19 games (half a season) and we can dissect and analyse.