Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The demise of Liverpool Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Agree largely, but Dortmund weren't Champions in 14/15 and it was at the end of an era.
    Today, many years later, Liverpool are Champions and it's not the end of an era.

We do need to get back on track.

Out of interest do you know what the points per game drop was between his last 2 seasons there ?

We are currently 18 points worse off after 18 games than at this stage last season.

Last year for the season 99 points and 2.6ppg.
    This year 34 points after 18 games, 1.88 ppg, on course for 71.77 points for the season.
    That's fair enough, but the last 2 or 3 League winning points haul has been like nothing we have seen previously. It's lunacy to think we'll achieve nearly 100pts every season.

80 pts might be enough to win the league this season.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Agree largely, but Dortmund weren't Champions in 14/15 and it was at the end of an era.
    Today, many years later, Liverpool are Champions and it's not the end of an era.

We do need to get back on track.

Out of interest do you know what the points per game drop was between his last 2 seasons there ?

We are currently 18 points worse off after 18 games than at this stage last season.

Last year for the season 99 points and 2.6ppg.
    This year 34 points after 18 games, 1.88 ppg, on course for 71.77 points for the season.
    Its not going to be a good season for us in the league it just has that feel.

Last season isnt the norm we did win 27 out of our 29 before lockdown so those 18 points difference although a fact is a one off.

Top four should be the aim and take it from there.

I think we will edge past Red Bull to make the QF and then anything can happen.

As I said earlier a lack of fans just makes it an asterisk for me its football still but not played under that pressure of fans who either spur you on or can sink you.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    That's fair enough, but the last 2 or 3 League winning points haul has been like nothing we have seen previously. It's lunacy to think we'll achieve nearly 100pts every season.

80 pts might be enough to win the league this season.
    Chelsea 93 - Spurs 86
    City 100 - Manu 81
    City 98 - Lfc 97
    LFC 99 - City 81

I'd agree it's likely this tears winner will finish on or around an 80+ points total

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Also, Dortmund were not missing all of their senior centre backs. This has had a major impact on our setup and overall play.

Striker's win you games, defences win you leagues. I do believe losing the CBs and other injuries has had this impact on our season.
    Our finishing is poor (missed a few against both wba and Newcastle) but it was the same last year. We always missed too many chances.
    This year it feels like we miss Virgil. The other 2 sadly have become expected absentees.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I can appreciate that makes for damning reading, but they are two wildly different set of circumstances.

One side was fresh of the back of being burned by missing out on a League title by one point, having achieved the third highest total in history at the time, with incredible fortune with injuries and a jubilant fanbase in stadiums who finally had self-belief.

The other is a side that has made it and (they're human) will have finally had the "release" of getting a League title, playing without a crowd, dealing with an unprecedented injury list all whilst continuing the adjustment to their style of play while they further bed in to a possession-based game.

They're chalk and cheese. Plus, honestly, even if we had a "normal" set of circumstances this year, there was no way that ourselves and City were ever likely to maintain the frankly ridiculous level created by a financially doped super-squad that has had players with PED suspicions.

United won 13 League titles under Fergie and rarely did they hit the 90-point mark, never mind nearly 100 points. With a few decent sides in the League at present I think "normal" totals can be expected - sides winning the League with 80-85 points for example. Now, if we only hit 71 points or so that is definitely poor by our standards, but 71 compared to let's say 85 definitely showcases that, whilst there may be work to do, it's not quite as "impossible" as a nearly 30-point gap would be.

Let's get through tonight. We then have a nice neat grouping of 19 games (half a season) and we can dissect and analyse.
    Dortmund finished on 71 points in 13/14 and on 46 points in 14/15.

City had fallen off the pace last year, continuing our high ppg wouldnt be a sustainable expectation.
    We are presently below a trade top4 pace

Still think Klopp has enough tools to have gotten more points.

Klopps at the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    What part of 'stop being an FSG shill' don't you get?

They have just been talking about Fulham, yes FULHAM almost certainly going into the market to get another forward. Have they suddenly become immune to the effects of covid? Or is it possible, no matter how remote you may think it may be, that FSG are tight as **** and are/will use covid as yet another excuse (as they recently did - I posted elsewhere on this) as to why we/they won't be spending much, if any money, and are in fact "taking time when it comes to renewing contracts"?
    You just don't get it
    Because it doesn't change anything in your life.
    Just a keyboard warrior with negative shitevto spout
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Just stopped doing all the things that made us win so much, I've said it countless times that it was heading that way and relationships and automatic runs and balls played, more direct balls were disappearing, big job for Jurgen now, we've ripped our own house down over 3 months, not that simple to just go back to doing what we did that made us successful
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Klopps first blip in 5 seasons after winning the league and champions league and heads are falling off.
    We've the right manager to get us out of this , but there's no need to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Klopps first blip in 5 seasons after winning the league and champions league and heads are falling off.
    We've the right manager to get us out of this , but there's no need to panic.
    Like he did at dortmund?

Not so sure, we'll see