Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Liverpool Football Club

The only team we want to pull away is LFC and certainly not City.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    League table not looking too crash hot right now. City will go 4 points clear of us when they win their game in hand.
    The quality of the league is atrocious this season, now City are in their groove they will pull away from the rest and top 4 is going to be a real scrap.
    Can’t believe we’ve dropped points in 9 games already.

Heading for a pretty limp 72 points at our current rate.
    Agree. Still only half way but even if we managed to keep pace with them I wouldn't fancy us in a shoot out with them with say 5 or 6 games to go.
    A shit season that cant end quick enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    That is how many of our fans used to look at things. I'd rather we did something about our issues, and quickly, not return to being 'also rans' and the way of thinking that you described which in all honest is very 'small time'.
    Well you better get your head around it as I have said for 5-6 weeks now we arent winning it.

I said at start of season if you are going to have an off season this is the one its shit without fans lets be honest.

If this was the norm id fuck the game off its garbage and the stats prove it all around Europe.

Yeah look at the fixtures coming up, we've had a easy run.... this time last season we'd be 10 pts ahead after these fixtures apart from utd who we'd prob beat too.

I'm concerned we won't even make top 4

Burnley H

Man utd FA cup (can we just concede i cba)

Spurs away
    West ham away
    Brighton home (only game i'd say nailed on for 3 pts hard to say that atm tho)
    man city home
    Leicester away

Rb Lepzig home

Everton home

Then gets easier shef utd away fulham/home

at least chelsea are 5 pts behind in the race for top4
    Last edited by Kev0909; 18th January 2021 at 12:49 AM.

Fixtures are set up to keep united competitive. We’re fucked in all honesty and need to regroup and get top 4. United have a lovely run of fixtures. We’ve visited tough games mixed in with ones we should be winning and city are somewhere in the middle. The loss off vvd and Gomez had ruined our season and not having jota too. After the run of fixtures we’ve just had we should have a cushion at the top of 6 to 9 points especially given we were clear coming into these fixtures. We’ve hit the wall unfortunately

You know it comes to something when I wish ings and lovren was still with us, i'd start him over bobby easily atm

if we're not going to use Origi we need to replace him with someone that can score as another option, even jota is more of a inside forward isn't he?

Money needs to be spent in the summer, and not all from sales 50/50 would be good... but that'll never happen.

This is what happens when..you have to sell to buy

Money wont be spent until we sell one of the older forwards., I would be happy if we sold Firmino.He may help out in midfield. But you can always get your forward to drop in when needs be. But what you need is a central striker that actually looks like scoring.
    I hope Klopp can see our issues and not stick to what has got us success in the past.
    Teams have zero intentions of opening up at the back. They set out a game plan to play nearly all their 10 out field players between 35 and 45 yards from their area and play extremely compact.

I dont care what team you are even Barcelona at their best the compactness of the opposition make it virtually impossible for us to get pockets of space. Its so easy to defend front on and to block players on the floor.
    Thats why we need a strong number 9 someone we can throw the ball into the box to attack. You always have the chance of the second ball then.
    All we are doing is pass pass pass and then get caught with the ball. No team on earth can play with such refinement. Sadly low block football works. We need to press the opposition back line with a bit more physicality.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    You know it comes to something when I wish ings and lovren was still with us, i'd start him over bobby easily atm

if we're not going to use Origi we need to replace him with someone that can score as another option, even jota is more of a inside forward isn't he?

Money needs to be spent in the summer, and not all from sales 50/50 would be good... but that'll never happen.

This is what happens when..you have to sell to buy
    Given some of the others we have on our books/are still relying on, we never should have sold Ings, though I suspect that the decision was partially, if not fully taken out of Klopp's hands. As for Loven, he or any other player we let go should be replaced. However 'we' are happy to let players go and to either not replace them at all, or hope that one of our inexperienced youngsters comes in and swims rather than sinks. That is not a viable long term strategy.

We need(ed) a few things, and have needed them for a while. We were already treading a fine line, one which is even finer than some think because of the way Klopp likes to play, and now we are reaping what FSG have sown.

As I said above, money should have been spent before now. Everybody can see the issues we have, but the only people whose opinion matters is FSG's. Based on previous windows and what Klopp has said, it looks like we won't be making any significant moves during the transfer window, something that is looking increasingly likely to scupper any chance we had of retaining our title, and it could yet cost us a top four place. Things were already bad enough in terms of FSG and their fans having things such as the stadium/training ground work, Covid etc as an excuse not to spend, but the more we miss out on this season (the title, CL football etc) the more 'ammunition' they and their 'fans' will have to justify us spending even less.

We don't need to sell to buy. We are the fith richest club in the world, have recently signed one of the potentially largest (if not the actual largest) deals in the history of football, are the current PL champions, the 2018 CL finalist and 2019 winners, the 2019 WCC champions, and on top of that have a net spend over the last five years of less than £20m per season. Some will mention our wage bill, but we do not spend that much more on wages than those we are competing with, especially when you take into account the fees we've spent, length/amount of recent extensions etc, never mind that 'other clubs' will have various ways and means of paying their players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Yeah look at the fixtures coming up
    In a weird way, I am relatively pleased about our next three opponents. Not because I think it looks like three wins (as it really, really doesn't) but the style/philosophy of the sides.

Burnley, United and Spurs are all sides that are pretty physical and are all willing to "sit in" for prolonged spells, which is the exact lock we are having to learn how to unpick right now.

So we have three games in fairly quick succession where we can get some targeted practice in when it comes to dealing with our biggest weakness. Hopefully by the end of that three-match run we are a little bit closer in terms of finding solutions to the issue.

I'd also add that, much as I want Henderson in midfield, we may end up benefitting (depending on who Klopp picks, plus injuries) in developing some consistency in the back line - we have had multiple defensive partnerships at centre-back this season due to injury this season and if (big if) Henderson starts playing there more regularly for the short-term in rotation with Matip, it will hopefully ease the "chemistry" difficulties for Fabinho, rather than it being any one of four players (Matip, Hendo, Williams, Phillips) that he has to partner, which hopefully becomes a marginal gain.

Matip certainly won't be fit and available for the entirety of the games over the next 4-5 months so if we have decided Henderson is being used there for a bit, we can at least develop some rhythm again. Clean sheets would be a good platform upon which to build whilst we go through this challenging period.

Just to add to this, SO much can change in a short space of time - and yes, that can be "for the worse" as well.

After 14 games we had just spanked Villa, were top, were 4 points clear of Leicester, were 5 points ahead of Man United, were 6 points ahead of Spurs and we were 8 points ahead of City. It's a mere 4 games later and we are on the verge of slipping out of the Champion's League spots. But are also within a points distance of top spot that is comparable to the ground that Leicester/Spurs/United/City gained on us - meaning we can gain on them in reverse.

A lot changed in 4 games and there are FIVE SETS of 4 League games left - so many potential twists and turns within the top few spots (City will be the most consistent you feel) so panicking is likely wasted energy.

Yes, we need solutions. Yes, we need them quickly. But we have THE man at the helm to help us do it. Our conversion rate in the last 62 efforts on goal is 1.6% - that is a statistical anomaly that won't last forever. That curled finish or quick reaction to the second ball or deflection that takes some psychological weight off is coming.