Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Burnley

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    "If you give the attack enough chances, they'll score."

Err Bali mate, have you been watching our recent games with a blindfold on?
    There have been chances to score Noods BUT we haven’t been really been creating them and they haven’t been clear cut for me . That’s the point. We were never prolific even at our best - usually needed 4 or 5 good chances to get a couple of goals. Right now we aren’t creating any really good chances really.

Best actual chance we created v the filth was from Shaq’s sublime pass to Salah who lays it on for Bobby - it was a decent chance to score and he should have nailed it but it was really the only clear cut one I can think of. United had 2 and didn’t score either.

This is the problem in not having a proper number 9. You have to have at least one goal poacher in your squad. Relentlessly playing Bobby in the same role EVEN last season - as often as not - it failed to work.

Make no mistake we won the title last season despite Bobby doing relatively little. He is the perfect player for the big games - perfect against a City or a Bayern or any side that wants to play - against a side that has to win... but playing sides that are happy to sit and block..? It is madness.

Many are scratching their heads BUT much of our success has been dependent on Virgil - his presence AND his crucial goals - without him - and Alisson - and playing Klopp’s preferred front 3 - we win nothing. We would be the side that Coutinho left minus Coutinho..! Capable of winning 5:0 and getting beat 4:1... A great watch but a yo-yo side.

Did the club fail to spot this? Do they care enough to bother? It was. CLEAR as Crystal to me after that fortunate CL final win in 2019 that we were crying out for more. More in the middle - more up top and more at the back. But we did ZERO. This summer was then a slightly desperate attempt to paper over the issues. Bring in that guaranteed quality to midfield - Thiago - but getting on a bit in years - and not the best fitness record... Also Jota - both great buys but for me - too little too late.

No real surprise that the once brilliant source of goals which regularly got us out of jail - Salah and Mané - have also gone off the boil - there has simply been too much dependence - an over reliance on the same players for too long a period with nothing else to support it.

And here we are - 2 key injuries - and it is really just the 2 - Matip will play more this season than last. And we are a shadow of the side.
    Last edited by Steveo; 19th January 2021 at 10:20 AM.

"If you give the attack enough chances, they'll score."

Err Bali mate, have you been watching our recent games with a blindfold on?
    No. I've actually been paying attention. In only one game (I guess WBA) did we miss a bagful of good chances. In the other ones we just didn't create enough (modulo bs VAR decisions).

Edit: Errr, why do I even bother posting anymore? Steveo just says what I'm thinking.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    No. I've actually been paying attention. In only one game (I guess WBA) did we miss a bagful of good chances. In the other ones we just didn't create enough (modulo bs VAR decisions).

Edit: Errr, why do I even bother posting anymore? Steveo just says what I'm thinking.
    One person's 'half chance' is another person's 'good chance', which in turn is someone else's 'sitter'. Our midfield could/should be creating more chances, as well as scoring more goals themselves, but our front three aren't helping themselves by not getting shots on target, miscontroling the ball, taking too long to get shots away, hitting 'powderpuff' shots etc.

In my opinion we've had more than enough 'chances' or 'opportunities' to have won all the games we've recently dropped points in. Many people expected our defence to be the thing that could/would end up costing us dear, but it's the other end of the pitch that has been the biggest issue as of late.

One person's 'half chance' is another person's 'good chance', which in turn is someone else's 'sitter'. Our midfield could/should be creating more chances, as well as scoring more goals themselves, but our front three aren't helping themselves by not getting shots on target, miscontroling the ball, taking too long to get shots away, hitting 'powderpuff' shots etc.

In my opinion we've had more than enough 'chances' or 'opportunities' to have won all the games we've recently dropped points in. Many people expected our defence to be the thing that could/would end up costing us dear, but it's the other end of the pitch that has been the biggest issue as of late.
    It's at the other end where we are missing VVD, a real threat at set pieces and corners.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

We can try to take a look at a slightly more objective (if rather flawed) measure - xG. I can't look at the stats right now, but iirc our values for the aforementioned games weren't that good. Can you please check and post them? I can only take a look after work.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

It is our defence that is costing us if Van Djik was back fully fit tomorrow id fancy us strongly.

His leadership, pace and threat from set pieces are worth an extra 8-10 points over the season.

Its clear our full backs are not attacking as much as they used to I dont need stats I just use my eyes.

Our midfield is workman like our flair players Thiago Shaq Ox Keita have all been out injured with Fab stuck at the back.

I do accept we could do with Jota now to keep the forwards fresh but that one is on Klopp.

Minamino or Origi may start Thursday who knows.

We are defo not as confident as we have been over the last few years it means we play more safe not passing as sharply which Thiago if fit will change.

If we look at the big picture of a League campaign, I always divide seasons into blocks, with the 25-game mark being the point you look from and go "okay, final stretch, foot down, into rhythm with European games, others will fall away".

Our job essentially in normal circumstances is to find ourselves either out in front at that stage, or within touching distance.

Given we're having a wobble, the key thing to me is to be keeping clean sheets where we can. You keep a clean sheet, your spluttering attacking unit needs one goal, not three or four, to win a match.

I think we'll see an attempt to keep consistency in the back four, with the emphasis on the possession game maintained as well, possibly grinding some results. Klopp may surprise some and decide it is Henderson beside Fabinho for a bit (even with Matip fit) just to keep the chemistry and have that passing option from deep that we miss with Van Dijk, but we'll see.

I'd take a ground out 1-0 against Burnley all day long, just to keep us within 4 points (assuming City win their game in hand) of top spot. Having Burnley, then United, then Spurs won't be pleasant, but having three matches in a row against low blocks will probably help us get a little bit closer to finding solutions.

I think short-term it's going to be unpleasant for a while longer, but we'll see the results further down the line.

xG values:

LFC 1.69 - 0.74 WBA
    NUFC 0.79 - 1.47 LFC
    Saints 0.33 - 1.77 LFC
    FFC 1.50 - 1.87 LFC

BFC 2.22 - 0.32 LFC

Contrast this with some chosen games earlier in the season:

LFC 4.35 - 1.65 LCFC
    LFC 2.76 - 1.69 SHU
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Something needs to change up front, wether its personnel or formation but it's just not clicking at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Where was the press in the games against Fulham WBA Newcastle and Southampton. We dropped points in all those games and Fabinho played centre back and Henderson was CM. If Henderson is so good at pressing, he should consider retiring from football and get a job at Johnson's.
    If you want to argue a point, it's usually best to argue against the actual point made and also demonstrate you do pay close attention to the finer points of our play and the games, having Hendo playing in midfield v Southampton when he played at CB obviously doesn't reflect well on you in that respect, nor does there not being any issues with our press v Newcastle or WBA and a combination of wasteful finishing, poor execution of the final ball and poor or rather bias officiating being the reason for the draws in those 2

From when that fluid midfield 3 emerged last season i have maintained that our best midfield 3 should be fluid and include Hendo AND Gini plus one other who can operate in that 3 and facilitate the fluidity and be good in the press, Jones is not such a player yet and he was particularly abysmal v Fulham

It has worked at its highest levels with Hendo Gini and Keita and resulted in all the latters best games for us, Thiago is a considerable step up from Naby with the same but more developed skills sets, so logically Thiago with Hendo and Gini should be an improvement on the best previous midfield since Jurgen arrived
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”