Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414445464748495051525354 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v Burnley (Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    All were great players, none were from World Champion sides. The players we have now will be under pressure to push for a transfer to play CL football. We see that happen commonly now when a great team hits the skids.
    If anyone wants to leave, off they go.

Just makes room for those who want to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Because that sword cuts both ways mate, and if you're going to start placing asterisks on seasons we just happened to under-performed in, then it will be (rightly) pointed out to you that the season we won number 19 in wasn't exactly a normal season either (from start to finish).
    To be fair if we got into the 90s for points two seasons on the spin, calling this one the outlier by comparison doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I know you didn't. The Twitterati will be out in force though in this day and age.

Coaching, confidence, drills, space, better decisions, luck.

There are so many variables where some modifications could increase our chance of scoring and so many things lead into another.

Take crosses. We can either cross less (as it isn't working just now) with a view to trying alternatives such as dribbling past a man, a one-two instead OR we could encourage players to keep crossed hard and low so as to open up more possibilities for deflections and second-balls being attacked, rather than repeatedly putting them near the keeper at catching height or onto the heads of physical Pulis-esque units that lap up that sort of thing.

That alone is a modification that might yield more opportunities.

We also aren't getting chances to transition quickly, as opponents sit in. Once or twice a half I would consider letting our centre-backs drift closer to Alisson and knock it about for a bit - lure a press onto us. No side will let us have it forever in our own defensive third, someone in the opposition will move towards us and that shifts things out of shape, then you can utilise the spaces left if you have players who are alive to it.

Just two examples. There are plenty of options for us to try.
    Never have a go at you. I just think id rather we didnt look forward.. We need to fix issues as we go a long. We dont want to drift to far away. we need to keep evolving. Thats what great teams do.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Never have a go at you. I just think id rather we didnt look forward.. We need to fix issues as we go a long. We dont want to drift to far away. we need to keep evolving. Thats what great teams do.
    Just while we are on the subject of goals and solutions actually - we had a free kick in a good position today.

Out-of-form, no-crosses-working just now Trent takes it.

I could not for the life of me understand why Shaqiri didn't. He isn't an almost-always-scores free kick-taker like Suarez or peak-Mahrez, but if they don't sail into the net they are almost always bloody close.

I wouldn't have Trent on free kicks, direct or indirect, for a little spell. He needs to shake this funk off - which he will, he isn't a crap player all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    To be fair if we got into the 90s for points two seasons on the spin, calling this one the outlier by comparison doesn't seem too unreasonable.
    Yeah, but that doesn't then mean that the season should get an asterisk for whomever wins it.
    If they win it on the back of 38 games then they've won it fair and square.

All it means is that we've had a shit season, for whatever reason - and that we didn't deserve to win it.
    Like all the other 18 teams who will fall short in the same attempt.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Yeah that's spot on - whoever wins it has done so fair and square.

Unless it's the red Mancs - "lousy Beatniks".

I wonder if the FA Cup is suddenly more important this season? I assume the CL is a priority... but in this form, the next game is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    I wonder if the FA Cup is suddenly more important this season? I assume the CL is a priority... but in this form, a game against the Aberystwyth U10's side would be tough.
    Fixed for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    I wonder if the FA Cup is suddenly more important this season? I assume the CL is a priority... but in this form, the next game is tough.
    Think scoring goals again is the priority and we'll work the rest out later!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    It also doesn't hurt that Haaland is the more realistic possibility.

Dortmund know they don't have him for the spell, and eventually a big club will come from him, so they will likely ask for a more realistic fee than PSG who are ostensibly building around Mbappe - a local icon - but who if faced with the prospect of losing him will ask for a crazy high fee that would be insane to pay even for a player at his level.

I've always had a preference for Haaland or Sancho over Mbappe - Sancho, admittedly, because it's been reported that he would prefer to come to us over the Mancs if he were to come back to England.

Also, in both their cases, I'd have to imagine Klopp's former links with the club would help us get a better deal.
    Halaand has third party ownership and as such cannot be signed by a PL club.
    His agent is mino as well.

Mbappe enters his final year this year, is not third party owned and has refused many contract extensions from PSG.

Mbappe is more likely to come here than haalaand.