Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40434445464748495051525354 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v Burnley (Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    All this talk about "refresh" in the summer

We have a couple of problems

1) Coronavirus, who's going to buy the big players if any?? who will have the money?
    2) FSG won't provide a lot of money without selling ofc they never have really
    3) at this rate we might not even be in the champions league
    You could be right. Put it this way, if this season ends up being a bad one then so be it. We have a manager who Id guess most of us wouldn't replace and theres not a prayer hes getting sacked.
    Things start again under normal circumstances, we have our midfield and defence back fully plus new players without doubt.
    The impact of those injuries cannot be understated. Its gad a huge effect.

Origi and Shaqiri are also average players.. We have no one who can run and take on a few players and have the technical ability to get passed them.. Everything is always in front..
    Last season we got accused of being boring. we played a little deeper and enticed teams onto us and gave us space in between. Now most teams are playing the low block and condensing the centre of the pitch. We have no one who can do something different.. Either a strong forward in the air who can attack crosses. or a winger who can go around the back of the fullback. Or even a player that can run at the backline and create something.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Lets face it teams are happy with a draw against us. So they park the bus. Its never gonna change. Only thing that can change is us learning to find ways around it. Right now we are trying to be completely perfect with our game. when a bit of thrust and physicality against the opposition is required

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    so positive.we havent won in 5.. hows that feel? or doesnt it matter?
    Oh it matters. I don't exactly love losing.

Rumination and despair won't get us back on the Horse though.

I just think it's a bit much to think a club of our Stature will be Doomed forever because we missed out on Top Four - which we may not necessarily do let's not forget.

It's the worst-case-scenario and we were out of the Champion's League for years yet we ultimately came crawling back. We also still have the core of a very good side, with a pretty good mix of ages within the squad.

I'd rather (if it comes to it) have a "flop" season amongst some success than be always there-or-thereabouts but win nothing - just look at what Pochettino achieved with Spurs - 0 trophies won at the end of the day.

We need to figure out how to win games short-term so we can hang in there in the League and finish Top Four. We (thankfully) have an alternate route to Champion's League Football next season via winning the damn thing this year.

We have two paths, both difficult. Let's re-tie the shoelaces and put the Umbrella up rather than whinging at the bottom of the Mountain - we have a foot covered in blisters, not a broken leg.

Worst scoreless run since 21 years ago, is that true??

Jesus

can't see us scoring v utd or spurs unless we suddenly click

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Oh it matters. I don't exactly love losing.

Rumination and despair won't get us back on the Horse though.

I just think it's a bit much to think a club of our Stature will be Doomed forever because we missed out on Top Four - which we may not necessarily do let's not forget.

It's the worst-case-scenario and we were out of the Champion's League for years yet we ultimately came crawling back. We also still have the core of a very good side, with a pretty good mix of ages within the squad.

I'd rather (if it comes to it) have a "flop" season amongst some success than be always there-or-thereabouts but win nothing - just look at what Pochettino achieved with Spurs - 0 trophies won at the end of the day.

We need to figure out how to win games short-term so we can hang in there in the League and finish Top Four. We (thankfully) have an alternate route to Champion's League Football next season via winning the damn thing this year.

We have two paths, both difficult. Let's re-tie the shoelaces and put the Umbrella up rather than whinging at the bottom of the Mountain - we have a foot covered in blisters, not a broken leg.
    never said doomed forever. where are our goals going to come from? where??

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I'd need to refer to Google to say this with more confidence, but were we in the Champion's League at the time of the arrivals of....

Sturridge
    Coutinho
    Suarez
    Firmino
    Mane

...?

Dropping out of the Top Four would be a massive body-blow, but it wouldn't put us in a permanent coma.
    All were great players, none were from World Champion sides. The players we have now will be under pressure to push for a transfer to play CL football. We see that happen commonly now when a great team hits the skids.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    We are having a bad season by our standards.

City arent a real club lets be honest.

I will be glad when this is over as it is one MASSIVE ASTERISK season and everyone knows it
    This season or the one we won the title in?

Because that sword cuts both ways mate, and if you're going to start placing asterisks on seasons we just happened to under-performed in, then it will be (rightly) pointed out to you that the season we won number 19 in wasn't exactly a normal season either (from start to finish).
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Still looking back to the Origi chance. There were so many things he could have done. No guarantee we’d have gone on to win it. We haven’t been great after scoring first lately, but at least we’d have scored.

Still stunned.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    never said doomed forever. where are our goals going to come from? where??
    I know you didn't. The Twitterati will be out in force though in this day and age.

Coaching, confidence, drills, space, better decisions, luck.

There are so many variables where some modifications could increase our chance of scoring and so many things lead into another.

Take crosses. We can either cross less (as it isn't working just now) with a view to trying alternatives such as dribbling past a man, a one-two instead OR we could encourage players to keep crossed hard and low so as to open up more possibilities for deflections and second-balls being attacked, rather than repeatedly putting them near the keeper at catching height or onto the heads of physical Pulis-esque units that lap up that sort of thing.

That alone is a modification that might yield more opportunities.

We also aren't getting chances to transition quickly, as opponents sit in. Once or twice a half I would consider letting our centre-backs drift closer to Alisson and knock it about for a bit - lure a press onto us. No side will let us have it forever in our own defensive third, someone in the opposition will move towards us and that shifts things out of shape, then you can utilise the spaces left if you have players who are alive to it.

Just two examples. There are plenty of options for us to try.