Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your team v the filthy FA Cup

Why are people talking like this isn't a situation of our own making and having a pop at players who have been absolutely brilliant these last 3 years and given us everything?

We've done this to ourselves, it's not fantasy manager or rocket science, if you keep tinkering and fucking about with what you have that does work brilliantly in the absence of a couple of players you fuck yourself up
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Because you work out how many games at Anfield have been BCD and no hospitality packages it is around £100m in revenue lost.

Man Utd have lost more money than us on the gate but they do generate more than us via sponsorships.

Arsenal/Spurs have both taken £100m bank loans, is that wise ?

Who exactly have Arsenal/Spurs signed ?? Arsenal are in the bargain bucket loaning anyone they can get there hands on.

EVERY club has lost money it doesn’t take brains to work that out my point is we MIGHT be skint I don’t know if we are, but how do you know we aren’t skint ?
    So again its' an equal footing is it - let's compare with notoriously poor spending Spurs...?

Spurs - who have won nowt and just spent £1 Billion on the stadium but still:
    Summer 2020 Spent £59.76m, Sold £11.97m = +£48 million
    Summer 2019 Spent £102 m, Sold £31 m = +£71 million

Net spend since CL final = +£119 million

Liverpool FC - Who have won the CL and the title and have a record sponsorship deal: Spent £50 million on Kirkby minus Melwood's undisc amount:
    Summer 2020 Spent £76.7m, Sold £37.71m = + £39 million
    Summer 2019 Spent £1,7m, Sold £27.55m = - £29.25 million

Net spend since CL final = +£10 million
    Last edited by Steveo; 22nd January 2021 at 05:20 PM.

There are things to bear in mind there with Net spend Steveo.

Wage increases for one, agent fees for said negotiations another.

As for those who spend more than us, they often do so because they bought rubbish and thus then have to go out and invest again to replace said rubbish - we have (largely, not 100%) been getting transfers right - it's another contributing factor.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Sid - I didn't bring it up - Klopp brought it up in 2019... All you have to do is look at his quote.

“This year is not the end of Liverpool FC,” Klopp was quoted in The Telegraph . “Next year there will be another transfer window. This team is really good and we have invested a lot in it. Now we have to work with that.

“I can’t say anything about what other teams are doing. I don’t know how they do it. We have to pay bills. Sorry. Everybody has to pay bills; we have to pay bills.

“We invested money in this team. Now it looks like we are not. But we are not in this fantasia land where you just get whatever you want. You cannot do it constantly."

2019 Sid - summer 2019.

I feel like you would defend their spend strategy no matter what evidence was put before you. The lack of spending at the crucial time has hampered us - Slowed Klopp's ability to build a winning side and then compounded the issue when not loosening those strings after number 6.. It doesn't mean they should be binned but just that they should feel some pressure to match the ambition of the fans
    Last edited by Steveo; 22nd January 2021 at 05:30 PM.

I get that.

I also we might misunderstand each other on that second emboldened bit. I believe you're taking that (correct me if I'm wrong please) as him saying "now it looks like we won't be spending" whereas I very much read it at the time as "it LOOKS LIKE we're not spending" ie to the outside eye, because the spend ("bills" paid) was on the tying down of players that would normally be snatched from us by Real Madrid/Barcelona etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I get that.

I also we might misunderstand each other on that second emboldened bit. I believe you're taking that (correct me if I'm wrong please) as him saying "now it looks like we won't be spending" whereas I very much read it at the time as "it LOOKS LIKE we're not spending" ie to the outside eye, because the spend ("bills" paid) was on the tying down of players that would normally be snatched from us by Real Madrid/Barcelona etc.
    He is a master manager HE knows full well he CANNOT make ANY overt reference towards a lack of spending power - but it is in there still.. It would send a message to the squad - you are not enough - we need more. That is not the message to send if you aim to make good on 97 points and a lost title...

Management is so much about the mind - See Shanks or Whiskey nose - confidence is the biggest factor so often BUT at some point it isn't enough...you just need more tools

We do need an addition or two, but we need to get back to putting the ball into the back of the net first.

We're dominating sides in the possession stakes, we're creating more chances (though too many are poor chances rather than gilt-edged) and we don't concede many goals. We aren't getting penned in by opposition sides who run rings around us, so as rubbish as the current "funk" is, there aren't 50 problems needing fixing, thankfully.

There's a £60m Anfield Road expansion project around the corner that will generate further match revenue each season for the rest of forever (once fans can come back, fingers crossed) and we probably don't have a lot of wiggle-room right now with the combo of squad size, home-grown v foreign, availability etc. and I like to think we wouldn't eat into that for the sake of an over-priced centre-back given how well our defence is managing and it's only for a few months.

I think we'll know more in the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    There are things to bear in mind there with Net spend Steveo.

Wage increases for one, agent fees for said negotiations another.

As for those who spend more than us, they often do so because they bought rubbish and thus then have to go out and invest again to replace said rubbish - we have (largely, not 100%) been getting transfers right - it's another contributing factor.
    What have wages got to do with net spend ?

As wages have gone up, revenue growth has risen well above those wages.
    As wages have gone up, we have had more disposable income available.

It's been a net gain to the club's accounts.

I believe James No Deal Pearce was at it again last summer, using this wages meme to explain why we wouldn't be signing anyone, specifically Thiago.
    Then we signed him and Jota.

Then people fall back into the same traps of we have no money to spend as good journos like James No Deal No Thiago Pearce say so.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    What have wages got to do with net spend ?
    Not a whole lot - I was pointing towards the fact that people will point to net spend (transfer fees) and suggest money has been saved or not spent respectively, whilst not bearing in mind that a player paid, say £50k per week may have left at one stage, but a £100k per week player may have come in, whose contract goes up to £180k per week - which won't be shown in the context of transfers in/out, much like agent fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    So again its' an equal footing is it - let's compare with notoriously poor spending Spurs...?

Spurs - who have won nowt and just spent £1 Billion on the stadium but still:
    Summer 2020 Spent £59.76m, Sold £11.97m = +£48 million
    Summer 2019 Spent £102 m, Sold £31 m = +£71 million

Net spend since CL final = +£119 million

Liverpool FC - Who have won the CL and the title and have a record sponsorship deal: Spent £50 million on Kirkby minus Melwood's undisc amount:
    Summer 2020 Spent £76.7m, Sold £37.71m = + £39 million
    Summer 2019 Spent £1,7m, Sold £27.55m = - £29.25 million

Net spend since CL final = +£10 million
    I didnt compare us to Spurs I added Arsenal and United like you did.

Yeah your stats are true but means nowt as they spent a fortune on Bale who has done jack shit.

United have spent way more but it means noyhinh if you have a crap manager and sign the wrong players.

Not included City/Chelsea as they arent ran the same way.

I cant comment on our accounts as I dont have them in front of me, but I do know Spurs/Arsenal took a bank loan out why if they are so rich ??