Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your team v the filthy FA Cup

Reason i advocate playing as many of our best 11 from last seasons purple patch plus Thiago is that group always had to pull together and get through any spells we weren't at our best because there were no options, and they did, that's why i've been a bit narky about all the new bestest thing so many wanting to chop and change every time we haven't or individuals haven't been at their best, i just don't think it helps
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Fair enough - some of this is off-set by unseen agent fees, the cost of a Pandemic (United for example have lost £129m and counting) and the fact we have "ear-marked" money that we won't want to eat into, such as the £60m for the next stage of the stadium's development, or "main" Summer targets that we may have consciously decide we don't want to overspend on by £15m as a result of buying them in January (what would Upamecano cost in Jan, £55m?) rather than waiting 5 months or so.

The next set(s) of financial accounts will be interesting anyway.
    Agents fees are included in the accounts.

The covid situation is a little complex.
    But as Steveo posted somewhere earlier today and as I suggested last season, getting more games on tv could well see teams compensated kindly for the loss of matchday attendances.
    If fans return I can see the clubs suggesting they need to offer up more games for TV viewing than prior to covid times, which would help boost revenue again and a recovery.
    The TV market has likely (imo) topped out a bit, as in the rise in TV money will probably have steadied for a while. But if it can add more televised games they'll bring in more money and still be pretty valuable compared with existing packages for broadcasters.

The injury crisis at centre back- virgil being out and 2 others who are regularly injured presents an issue.
    We have a minimum target of qualifying from our CL group and getting top4 again. Just look at the impact of CL football on revenue.
    If you were to pay 10-15 more now you could be saving yourself from the loss of a small fortune and table position to borrow a poker term.

It's a bit like driving a car for 5 months knowing you need new brakes and hoping to not crash and burn whilst you're penny piching waiting on parts that you can get cheaper in 5 months time.
    If you need brakes, you get brakes or you drive like an old woman or me (not an old woman today).

Accounts should be out soon, iirc my expectation is we will post a decent profit.

Next years will be more interesting as there is the impact of the Nike deal up against an actual season or so it seems of no fans/matchday revenue.
    Based on previous guesses an impact of -£30million in revenue (gates lost - Nike bump), assuming there'll be no extra money from extra televised games and giving a little leeway for how far we go in the CL again a big impact on it's own.

It seems the sales are up significantly but I've not seen too much posted about that so far.

£100million loan for players seems astronomical.

But if you earned 50k a year, had money left over at the end of each year, how mad would it be to take a 10k loan over 5 years.
    Especially if the loan will keep you in a 50k a year job and prevent you from losing income.

Probably still a bit more in increments to be gained in the CL TV deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Reason i advocate playing as many of our best 11 from last seasons purple patch plus Thiago is that group always had to pull together and get through any spells we weren't at our best because there were no options, and they did, that's why i've been a bit narky about all the new bestest thing so many wanting to chop and change every time we haven't or individuals haven't been at their best, i just don't think it helps
    Outside of that purple patch last season there was also purple years.

If we want to have a bigger and better squad, we need to add quality players who can dethrone the incumbents. If the players we add are good enough to dethrone existing starters, they will boost the side.

More options helps avoiding burn out and injuries and allows for rotation and the boost of competition. Something Steve has brought up with you earlier.

Something most would acknowledge with hendo. When he was benched and suggested to Klopp he can play rcm he came back in great fashion and became a pivotal part of our best 11. Having improved under Klopp generally.

The season before last was better imo.

Won the Champions league and finished on 97 points. An incredible return in the big 2 competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    The season before last was better imo.

Won the Champions league and finished on 97 points. An incredible return in the big 2 competitions.
    Some real nuggets in these last few posts CC.

I only wish our starting 11 were on half as good form.

This bit about the brakes is the PERFECT analogy... Spot on

“ It's a bit like driving a car for 5 months knowing you need new brakes and hoping to not crash and burn whilst you're penny piching waiting on parts that you can get cheaper in 5 months time.
    If you need brakes, you get brakes or you drive like an old woman or me (not an old woman today). ”

The 97 point season was epic - I mean we are talking about 2 points less but a Champions League win all while up against a 98 point City!! And the brakes definitely needed some new discs and pads after that slog. The car kept going for just over half the next race before they started slipping. This summer we bought some pads but the discs we didn’t buy after winning number 6 are still missing...!

I get what you're saying CCTV.

The flip side of the risk/reward scenario (spending a little more on a centre-back) I suppose is spending the extra money and then NOT getting Top Four, having invested more, with less coming in.

Feel there's a sense of a (calculated) gamble in either direction and FSG are perhaps doubling down to keep the status quo, ie if our actions show we are willing to overpay now, another club might aim to weedle more out of us later, same for agents with wages.

Whether this approach is actually really wise or not is subject to debate of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I get what you're saying CCTV.

The flip side of the risk/reward scenario (spending a little more on a centre-back) I suppose is spending the extra money and then NOT getting Top Four, having invested more, with less coming in.

Feel there's a sense of a (calculated) gamble in either direction and FSG are perhaps doubling down to keep the status quo, ie if our actions show we are willing to overpay now, another club might aim to weedle more out of us later, same for agents with wages.

Whether this approach is actually really wise or not is subject to debate of course.
    Exactly ask Leeds how that worked out.

Its clear Klopp asked for a CB but they said no.

Some idiots seem to think we are in for Mbappe its laughable we arent and never were, the figures would be off the scale.

This has become huge for us now IMO. I want us to win this cup while improving to finish in the top 3 and a deep run in Europe at least. If we want to continue on the road to a period of sustained success we need to pick up a trophy in seasons where we aren’t quite at our best and slightly between teams. This team still has lots of quality but needs a few more tweaks to get back to where we want to be. The cup and a European run would be exactly the solution to keep thing ticking over.

Apparently our last win against Man United at Old Trafford in the FA Cup was...

.....*drum roll*......