Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your team v the filthy FA Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Apparently our last win against Man United at Old Trafford in the FA Cup was...

.....*drum roll*......

Faaaaark me!!!!

That is incredible.

.....*drum roll*......

Skyebo remembers it well 😃😃

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Skyebo remembers it well ����
    Remember it, i was reffing it lol
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

I get what you're saying CCTV.

The flip side of the risk/reward scenario (spending a little more on a centre-back) I suppose is spending the extra money and then NOT getting Top Four, having invested more, with less coming in.

Feel there's a sense of a (calculated) gamble in either direction and FSG are perhaps doubling down to keep the status quo, ie if our actions show we are willing to overpay now, another club might aim to weedle more out of us later, same for agents with wages.

Whether this approach is actually really wise or not is subject to debate of course.
    Not sure a January signing has that impact on other signings. Seems a bit of a stretch, was it an error to sign Virgil in a January window?

Personally, without a January signing, I still hold hopes of us retaining our title, though that hope is sliding with every passing week, points dropped and an emerging gap.
    We're not favourites presently.

Our risk of not getting top4 or better is always there, hard to look at lfc under klopp and see brave decisions not paying off.
    Won a title many thought we couldn't do without an oil owner or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Exactly ask Leeds how that worked out.

Its clear Klopp asked for a CB but they said no.

Some idiots seem to think we are in for Mbappe its laughable we arent and never were, the figures would be off the scale.
    To use your own stick, why are we talking about Leeds ?

Not really a comparable club and also an irregular story of clubs at the top end or close to it going bust.
    Would you suggest spurs or arsenal are going to go bust in the next season or 2 ?

Ffp was brought in prior to Leeds administration and under the system we have an ability to spend and still be ffp compliant.

The lines trotted out by the good journo followers...

We couldn't sign Klopp
    We can't compete for top players
    We can't expect to spend like a big club
    We can't expect to match city under pep

Yet some ididots maintained hope..

We could entice Klopp as he's a romantic and would be more enticed by us than Barca or real
    We signed top players with competition from real big clubs, virgil over city as we blew them out of the signing financially according to Pep
    Real got courtois, while we signed Alisson and some idiot on here didn't believe the trusted journos, who said we wouldn't and Ward would be no1 for the season.
    Some said we'd never sign virgil after the club issued a public statement, I was assured that would mean we would never sign him.

And now its Mbappe, we couldn't afford to sign him.
    Reality is we will compete with real Madrid and see if we can get him in.
    Last year of his contract so fee shouldn't be too astronomical and hes a commercial cash cow that would be a benefit to the club on top of being a quality finisher.
    He's turned down big wages repeatedly at PSG and made it clear he wants out.

.....*drum roll*......

Wooo! Cool stat! Though I guess we don't play them all that often in the FA Cup.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Not sure a January signing has that impact on other signings. Seems a bit of a stretch, was it an error to sign Virgil in a January window?

Personally, without a January signing, I still hold hopes of us retaining our title, though that hope is sliding with every passing week, points dropped and an emerging gap.
    We're not favourites presently.
    No it wasn't a mistake, nor are January transfers in principle - different circumstances. Ignoring the whole thing of the £100m or more loss from the pandemic, the money we didn't make due to not getting past Atletico and the £60m we won't spend due to it being ear-marked for the stadium expansion, factor these in -

- We didn't overpay for Van Dijk
    - Van Dijk was the top target we wanted and available, at a price we were happy to pay
    - Edwards will want to over-pay or under-sell as few times as possible under us, otherwise future negotiations will be done without us having the upper hand very often.

The other thing to add (this is a "financial sensibility hat" not my "I want us to win everything hat") is that, for the financial sustainability of the Club, it's Top Four finishes that matter for long-term sustainability.

FSG will (I imagine) look at the side, look at Klopp, look at what we have achieved and think "yeah, we can get Top Four with this, this season, so why add now?".

Let's imagine we are going to have a £60m Summer budget. Then we decide we are buying a centre-back this window, spending £15m more due to our sense of desperation - and thus FSG say "well, you ate into the £60m, so the Summer budget is £45m now".

I suspect (and again, a lot of this is guesswork admittedly) in terms of making every penny count (players available in Summer with release clauses and so on) which is what they seem to aim to do (£13m on Shaqiri rather than £60m in Mahrez) they'd rather keep the powder dry.

Buy our first-choice centre-back in the Summer and set ourselves up for a few years versus jeopardise our capacity to improve for fear over a sharp drop in form that should be temporary. I imagine that's their thought process, whether we agree with it or not.

When was the last time we knocked them out before 2012?
    I cant find a record of the games. I know they've done us over a few times but I think we've only beaten them 4 times.

No it wasn't a mistake, nor are January transfers in principle - different circumstances. Ignoring the whole thing of the £100m or more loss from the pandemic, the money we didn't make due to not getting past Atletico and the £60m we won't spend due to it being ear-marked for the stadium expansion, factor these in -

- We didn't overpay for Van Dijk
    - Van Dijk was the top target we wanted and available, at a price we were happy to pay
    - Edwards will want to over-pay or under-sell as few times as possible under us, otherwise future negotiations will be done without us having the upper hand very often.

The other thing to add (this is a "financial sensibility hat" not my "I want us to win everything hat") is that, for the financial sustainability of the Club, it's Top Four finishes that matter for long-term sustainability.

FSG will (I imagine) look at the side, look at Klopp, look at what we have achieved and think "yeah, we can get Top Four with this, this season, so why add now?".

Let's imagine we are going to have a £60m Summer budget. Then we decide we are buying a centre-back this window, spending £15m more due to our sense of desperation - and thus FSG say "well, you ate into the £60m, so the Summer budget is £45m now".

I suspect (and again, a lot of this is guesswork admittedly) in terms of making every penny count (players available in Summer with release clauses and so on) which is what they seem to aim to do (£13m on Shaqiri rather than £60m in Mahrez) they'd rather keep the powder dry.

Buy our first-choice centre-back in the Summer and set ourselves up for a few years versus jeopardise our capacity to improve for fear over a sharp drop in form that should be temporary. I imagine that's their thought process, whether we agree with it or not.
    What 100 million loss ?Since covid arrived there hasn't been a 100 million loss for lfc yet.
    Again if you want to ignore the net impact of Nike bump that's fine. It's just like saying Klopps spent a fortune re gross spend and ignoring his net spend on transfers.

Infrastructure doesn't enter into ffp. Spending on infrastructure for the stadium, pays itself off in the short term and the extra income generated lasts long after its paid off. Capital investments like new stands are a win win for the club.
    Iirc the new training complex has been put through the books already. A 50million cost that should be offset by the sale of melwood site, possible sponsorship deals. Probably last 50 years. Our infrastructure spending, which I endore, is small relatively and pays for itself.

I'd suggest we overpaid a little due to the summer issues with Soton, but it was worth signing VVD.
    Do you think the club has no top target now ?
    That's true but our success in itself will hamper that possibility somewhat, only so long before clubs twig we kept getting some players for way less than their worth.
    It's a good strategy and it won't disappear but overtime other clubs smarten up.

Agree top4 is a key to long term success, but winning big titles is a step up again. Sponsors, top players, extra revenue from winning the cl or going deep each year.
    Manu got massive as they were winning titles regularly, Wenger for all his years of top 4 couldn't take a London club to that level of finance.
    It's a bigger gamble to take by fsg if they do as you suggest.

A bit too much abstract imaginations going on there with the rest. Not trying to be a smart arse.

Didn't take it as being a smart arse, don't worry - there's a lot to sift through and I wasn't providing anything concrete.

Cool