Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your team v the filthy FA Cup

Strogest possible team and a win please

All the media talking about the end of our run at Anfield, let's give them something else to talk about, a first Liverpool win in the FA Cup at Old Toilet in 100 years
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Some real nuggets in these last few posts CC.

I only wish our starting 11 were on half as good form.

This bit about the brakes is the PERFECT analogy... Spot on

“ It's a bit like driving a car for 5 months knowing you need new brakes and hoping to not crash and burn whilst you're penny piching waiting on parts that you can get cheaper in 5 months time.
    If you need brakes, you get brakes or you drive like an old woman or me (not an old woman today). ”

The 97 point season was epic - I mean we are talking about 2 points less but a Champions League win all while up against a 98 point City!! And the brakes definitely needed some new discs and pads after that slog. The car kept going for just over half the next race before they started slipping. This summer we bought some pads but the discs we didn’t buy after winning number 6 are still missing...!
    Well you could say we've used the gears too much to compensate and wrecked the gear box, to keep an analogy rolling.

The 18/19 pl season had
    30 wins
    7 draws
    1 loss (that city game)
    Goals scored 89
    Goals conceded 22 (close to that thommo teams record of 16? - which given the favouring of forwards since then is a great achievement)
    +67 goal difference

The defence had a feeling of invincibility that year and I often felt like we could see out a game handily.
    The CL exploits, just a fantastic campaign. Great memories.

19/20
    Won 32
    Drew 3
    Lost 3
    Scored 85
    Conceded 33
    +52 GD

The defence felt more fragile but still very good, did feel like we'd always find a way to win or not lose in the league. Of course people can point to covid as an interference to our end to the league, but mentality monsters and all that
    Much of the same in the CL groupstages and an early enough exit from the CL.

For me the 2 extra points in the league, don't balance out well against less losses, more goals scored, less conceded and the knock on goal difference swing. The cl title obviously a big difference, real mentality monsters to win no 6.

Winning the title and what that meant for us all is of course a great thing to celebrate and meant loads.
    But the season before we developed the mentality monsters mantra and that night at Anfield which ended up getting us no6 v spurs was a big deal.

We needed that title to reap the rewards of a stellar season. Speculation of course but had we not won a cl title that year, lost the final to spurs or seen them beat barca, that would have been a big kick in the balls.
    Last edited by CCTV; 24th January 2021 at 02:03 AM.

Both fine seasons obviously

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    When was the last time we knocked them out before 2012?
    I cant find a record of the games. I know they've done us over a few times but I think we've only beaten them 4 times.
    Forgot we knocked them out in 06 en route to winning it. Crouch scored in a 1-0 win.

gonnna win 7-0 and win the cup

bobby hat-trick

all our worries will go away

glorious day awaits

YNWA

We all love "Mo in the snow"

We need to find out whether that record of no wins in the FA Cup at old trafford in 100 years is as bad as it looks. We may not have played them a lot of times.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Let's beat them and keep the treble dream alive!
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    We need to find out whether that record of no wins in the FA Cup at old trafford in 100 years is as bad as it looks. We may not have played them a lot of times.
    As far as I can tell we've only played them at OT three times since then. Not a terrible record tbf.

We've had a few semis (which apparently used to be played at Maine Road and Goodison - why??) and lost finals though.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    As far as I can tell we've only played them at OT three times since then. Not a terrible record tbf.

We've had a few semis (which apparently used to be played at Maine Road and Goodison - why??) and lost finals though.
    Because Wembley was for Finals only. Then when they built the new one they needed to fill it as many times as possible and 2 semi finals was a good option.
    Not that we've had many chances but the semi finals are a better way for the real supporters to get tickets as it's split 50/50 .
    The Everton semi with Andy Carroll getting the winner comes to mind.
    Apparently it was a brilliant day out.