Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Trent Alexander-Arnold

I genuinely believe most of our issues with form are through too many changes and trying to force this playing through teams Wengeresque tappy tappy bollocks throwing most of what we developed over the last 3 years under the bus, you just can't try and implement such massive changes without drastically altering the relationships, movement, positioning and understanding players have of one another built up over sl long and expect it to work because they know each others games, they know each others games playing a different way

Look at the UAE FC game when we went 442 Jurgen himself said post match that we conceded the equaliser and then the penalty after making that change because of unfamiliarity and players doing the wrong movements because it was new to them, that, or rather different movement and players not doing what they were doing for most of the last 3 years is what we're now experiencing in every game and that's caused so many players to fall well short of their best form
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

You keep saying that over and over again yet there's little to suggest its true.
    Teams are sitting deep against us, we cant get through. Its nothing new, we had it last season but things went our way most if the time. Its just not happening, players out injured has affected the way we play, we havent changed by design.
    These things happen. City went the first 8 games with 3 wins. Spurs gave had troughs as have Utd. We will come good again.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    You keep saying that over and over again yet there's little to suggest its true.
    Teams are sitting deep against us, we cant get through. Its nothing new, we had it last season but things went our way most if the time. Its just not happening, players out injured has affected the way we play, we havent changed by design.
    These things happen. City went the first 8 games with 3 wins. Spurs gave had troughs as have Utd. We will come good again.
    Like I said in another thread, not to repeat myself too, but this has been coming for a while how many games did we scrape?

How many games did salah bail us out by himself? even this season very reliant on him/mane

can't remember last time we played as well as we have done in the past- in a few games in a row even though we didn't win it season before last, I still think overall as crazy as it sounds after winning it by as much as we did we played better football more constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Like I said in another thread, not to repeat myself too, but this has been coming for a while how many games did we scrape?

How many games did salah bail us out by himself? even this season very reliant on him/mane
    Exactly. We were going to hit this wall, its not possible to continually go up.
    Four or five main players put of form is ridiculous but it won't last much longer.

We've been overplaying and virtually sacked the direct stuff and winning second balls off it that we used a lot in all the park the bus games last season, mixing it up and scored most of our goals through that, not from passing through teams, the Mane, Robbo partnership on the left terrorising even the park the bus sides through our working it into an area on the right, then back to centre and quickly switching it left that featured hugely in practically every game last season with Gini often making it a trio trying to release Mane or Robbo or be released by either through the channel has barely beenseen this season and we're half way through

Because there's no space. Its not been a tactical change, we can't break teams down. Coupled with loss of form and injuries to major players.

Because there's no space. Its not been a tactical change, we can't break teams down. Coupled with loss of form and injuries to major players.
    There has been a tactical change, we started the season with that trio working and Mane and Robbo on fire and it went to shit when Mane was asked to play more centrally for a few games

And the space is there, same as it was laast season v PTB sides, you have to make that spaace by working the ball into an area on the right drawing more players across ten go back to centre for an instant switch, with Robbo and Gini backing it up to have it laid off to them or win second balls, it was an automatic reflex thing we constantly did

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I always feel Trents better crossing when he's less time to think about it plus he's always very deep into the oppositions half these past few months.
    It also doesn't help when there's 8 or 9 big defenders in a crowded box when he's trying to cross and find or players.
    We're better when we break quick and hit them from our full backs but teams now just sit back and defend.
    Robbo was no better last night it's just a huge lack of confidence from everyone.
    One thing I've noticed with Robbo this season is he rarely crosses first time.
    I've lost count of the number of times he's had the ball played to him and he turns round and passes it backwards instead of driving it across.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    One thing I've noticed with Robbo this season is he rarely crosses first time.
    I've lost count of the number of times he's had the ball played to him and he turns round and passes it backwards instead of driving it across.
    There used to be 4 or 5 times a game Robbo had the ball played to him, perfectly placed to whip it in firsttime through the channel between RC and RCB towards the far post and it used to do my nut in too, because Mo's lurking there and worst case scenario he gets it too far wide to score, but we've turned the opposition defence, moved them, disturbed them and that's half the job with PTB teams, then maybe Mo gets a chance to tee one up for someone else

I think that's half the problem v PTB sometimes, we let them defend as they want to and have prepared to and don't do enough early balls in into that corridor of uncertainty between GK and CBs to try and at least unsettle and unnerve them, put couple of good one's in that nearly come to something and they'll soon be trying to readjust to stop that which can get them out of what they trained to do and create an opening somewhere else

Against any deep lying side - which is what all champions face game in game out - you need to pick a lock. You need a different set of qualities.

The description of a Robbo’s runs and crosses is apt as that space just isn’t there as much as sides tailor their game. Even with a fit Virgil - are we expecting him to find that towering headed goal - every weekend? If so it doesn’t exactly point to a great footballing side.

I believe we scored the most goals from set pieces last term too.. is that really the summit of our ability? We scraped many games winning with a mentality of steel. Let’s not make out we were a great footballing side. We were not. Good to watch - usually pushing forward in relentless fashion at 100 mph - BUT often making the most of the press and mistakes.

You don’t dominate playing like that for any length of time.