Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Big Div

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Doesn't really mean they shouldn't pass it in that situation though...
    You have to remember that decision happens in a split second as soon as he was away his mind wull be made up.

He might not have seen Mane either its ok watching a slowed down replay Origi didnt get that time.

The fact is this he didnt deserve to come off and he got 3-4 shots in ok they were straight at the keeper but he at least has a chance to score.

Maybe Origi is the way to go against bus parkers and Firmino the top sides ?

@Bali - you are correct.

It SHOULD happen as statistically there is arguably more chance of scoring.

We are simply saying it almost never does happen - from an out and out striker. That is what makes them strikers. They are they to make it their business to bury that ball in the net. This is prime instinct we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    A Striker that passes that up is not a striker. It is that hunger and greed that drives the instinct to score.

As mentioned there are circumstances where even a Suarez would do it - but they are exceedingly rare.

It’s only being debated because he missed.. if he passed to Mané and Mané - who fluffs his lines often misses - you all slate Origi for passing the buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    @Bali - you are correct.

It SHOULD happen as statistically there is arguably more chance of scoring.

We are simply saying it almost never does happen - from an out and out striker. That is what makes them strikers. They are they to make it their business to bury that ball in the net. This is prime instinct we are talking about.
    I understand, Steveo, and I agree - it does happen quite rarely. I just don't understand why people continuously make excuses for strikers like this. It's not a primal instinct - we probably weren't kicking mammoth balls around 400 000 years ago wearing sabre tooth cat pelts of different colours to differentiate teams. It's poor coaching a a lack of brainpower on their behalf. Kids should be taught from a young age scoring the goal is all that matters - not who does it or how. They all count.

A wrong decisions it still was for me - just like it would be in the defensive example I gave. It's his "instinct" to go to ground but it's a stupid "instinct" and he should get slated for doing it. He should have been coached away from doing it in his youth and he should have worked on it as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    no one would be telling Salah to pass it. People need to get off his back.
    It's only 19x and me who have an issue with him not passing it it seems. And even for us it doesn't seem like a huge one (well for me it isn't anyway). And yes, quite likely both of us would be irked had Salah done the same thing, as we have been in the past on here.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    You have to remember that decision happens in a split second as soon as he was away his mind wull be made up.

He might not have seen Mane either its ok watching a slowed down replay Origi didnt get that time.

The fact is this he didnt deserve to come off and he got 3-4 shots in ok they were straight at the keeper but he at least has a chance to score.

Maybe Origi is the way to go against bus parkers and Firmino the top sides ?
    Yeah, this is all true. But like I said - all of that applies to a defender giving away a peno. And yet we barely ever hear anyone step up to plead the player's case anywhere nearly as vehemently as Div's being defended now from two posters who've taken an issue with a clearly wrong decisions he's made.

Edit: And no, I wouldn't slate Origi for passing it if Mane misses. Just like I didn't slate Markovic for passing it to Sterling when Arsenal beat us 4-1 about five years ago.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 23rd January 2021 at 12:44 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Anyway - I don't have a huge issue with him shooting there. It happens - as you lot say, he's a striker. Strikers shoot. Not perfect, probably a bit worse in terms of EV in comparison to passing it, but it's not a gigantic howler.

But it is an error that might have cost us a point or three.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Didn't see the game the other night but a few stats stuck out re origi who played 60 mins versus the 150 mins of the front 3.

Origi attempted more tackles 2, completed a tackle, made an interception, won 1 of 2 headers and had 2 shots on target in his 60 mins

Whereas the front 3 over 150 mins attemepted 0 tackles, made 0 interceptions, had no aerial duels and had 1 shot on target from double the shots.
    Mane had 9 key passes and 4 dribbles which is high tbf.

Unusual game stats wise where Origi outperformed the front 3 on some basic metrics

He was good CC. Looked really hungry for a goal and but for an inch or two he would have had it.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Should have been moved on the summer after our Champions League win, should have also played Mane in for a tap in
    Are you on the wind up? 😳
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Are you on the wind up? ��
    I don't think he is.

And I also agree with him (more or less).
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Are you on the wind up? 😳
    The lad had just scored twice in the semi-final then put it to bed in the Final and wasn't consistently a member of the front three.

Would have been at his highest value and thus, with hindsight, we can say it was a good time to cash in and re-invest.

But at the time, with the well-deserved love-in for him and it being easy to picture him as a super-sub in future European campaigns, how many of us could have/would have?

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    The lad had just scored twice in the semi-final then put it to bed in the Final and wasn't consistently a member of the front three.

Would have been at his highest value and thus, with hindsight, we can say it was a good time to cash in and re-invest.

But at the time, with the well-deserved love-in for him and it being easy to picture him as a super-sub in future European campaigns, how many of us could have/would have?
    Someone put a thread up, or a poll about him, i think it was in the summer of 2019 after the CL triumph. More were in favour of keeping than selling. I think it would be a different result now.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.