Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Big Div

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I've never seen anything like this WHOLE team off-form?? not scored in 4 league games forgot how long ago since last time that happened but a very long time ago

Something stinks
    I don’t think anything stinks tbh. It’s just as I suggested. The team was absolutely focussed on winning the title. Believes they had to be perfect from Summer 2019 to do so. They were up until they had all but won it.

Then the crash.

12 games won out of the 27 league games played since Watford last season.

It is clear that we hit a wall - mentally and physically.

Constantly picking the same 11 whenever possible ( as 19 would have ) gives the side a continuity - it galvanises - builds an understanding and a camaraderie few can match - but depends on 2 vital things.

1.No injuries

2. Players that are like machines with replaceable parts!

Both are impossible. In the real world - you can do it for a time and the. There is a breakdown.
    Last edited by Steveo; 24th January 2021 at 12:41 PM.

After the efforts of 3 consecutive European Finals and 97 league points followed by 99 the players are mentally burnt out. We brought in two excellent additions to freshen things up, in Thiago and Jota but they and many other key members of the squad have missed most of the season.

Finish top 4 and go as deep into Europe as possible, that’s as much as we can hope for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I don’t think anything stinks tbh. It’s just as I suggested. The team was absolutely focussed on winning the title. Believes they had to be perfect from Summer 2019 to do so. They were up until they had all but won it.

Then the crash.

12 games won out of the 27 league games played since Watford last season.

It is clear that we hit a wall - mentally and physically.
    Why don't other teams have the same problem?

why did utd dominate?

man city have always been in the top 2 lately pretty much too.

we even had a long break due to covid ffs

can't remember last time we played "heavy metal football" either it's actually rather boring
    Last edited by Kev0909; 24th January 2021 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    After the efforts of 3 consecutive European Finals and 97 league points followed by 99 the players are mentally burnt out. We brought in two excellent additions to freshen things up, in Thiago and Jota but they and many other key members of the squad have missed most of the season.

Finish top 4 and go as deep into Europe as possible, that’s as much as we can hope for this season.
    And go again next season, all guns blazing.

why did utd dominate?

can't remember last time we played "heavy metal football" either it's actually rather boring
    We've finally hit the wall. After 2 seasons of hammering it it was bound to happen.
    We know how good this team can be that's why we should worry to much. Though it's hard to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    The lad had just scored twice in the semi-final then put it to bed in the Final and wasn't consistently a member of the front three.

Would have been at his highest value and thus, with hindsight, we can say it was a good time to cash in and re-invest.

But at the time, with the well-deserved love-in for him and it being easy to picture him as a super-sub in future European campaigns, how many of us could have/would have?
    I was questioning the fact that 19 suggests Div should have passed in a one on one situation.

I like Origi. He's different from the other forwards we have. He's been criminally underused this season.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

2 goals in 14 games one of them being against palace when we scored 7

what do you think?

that's the problem at the moment everyone is trying to beat bobby's goalscoring record
    Yeah, he's not scoring, but his overall play seems fine to me.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Yeah, he's not scoring, but his overall play seems fine to me.
    yeah, he's one of the few who at least looks to be trying.

They do.

why did utd dominate?
    Because they had a great manager, half the FA / PL in their pockets, more money and draw than anyone bar Chelsea and a deep squad. Not to mention a ridiculously talented class of '92.

Going backwords they've been second, first, first, third , fourth, second. It's not exactly always. I see your point, but bear in mind they have infinite money and good lawyers, not to mention a deeper squad than us (as a result of said infinite money). Besides, Guardiola is probably at least as much of a draw as Klopp.

But so did everyone else. And it wasn't exactly a break. It was a disruption of rhythm during which the boys had to keep fit as they didn't know when BoJo would proclaim it's safe to play again. Our players' fitness levels are planned for the whole season before the preseason even begins. It's thrown all of that out of whack. Not just for us.

We've not been playing Heavy Metal football since the final in Kiev.

Nothing stinks, Kev. These things happen. Look at Barcelona and Real. A combination of fatigue, mental exhaustion, annoying injuries and the natural life cycle of a group of players.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 24th January 2021 at 01:15 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

why did utd dominate?

Our quick transitions through midfield have been rare for a while.
    The if football was meant to be played whatever... grass in the sky saying, dithered away a litte