Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mentality monsters

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    The thing is that it's not just the defence that's an issue. Ever since I joined this forum I've been banging on about us needing a deep squad in terms of both size and quality. We've been far too reliant on a small group of players for far, far too long, which means as soon as one or two are 'missing' (be it physically or in terms of performances) we start struggling.

Until we address this we are going to be inconsistent at best, and we will never get into a position where we are able to consistently challenge for the big prizes year after year, and that's before you factor in that Klopp isn't going to be around forever.
    The squad depth is there except in defence. The quality is questionable.

But looking at our defence, I would say we have 6 senior defenders on the list. That is very poor planning and is catching up with us this season.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    The squad depth is there except in defence. The quality is questionable.

But looking at our defence, I would say we have 6 senior defenders on the list. That is very poor planning and is catching up with us this season.
    Really? Up front we have our front three and an injured Jota, and he hasn't been here that long. As for the midfield, we have a few 'functional' players, but in terms of alternatives that can gives some creativity and goals, our cupboard is pretty bare.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Really? Up front we have our front three and an injured Jota, and he hasn't been here that long. As for the midfield, we have a few 'functional' players, but in terms of alternatives that can gives some creativity and goals, our cupboard is pretty bare.
    Like I said, quality is questionable. We have 6 attackers. So depth, yes, quality, meh..

This is where I think the owners could play hardball with klopp and say, u need to ship some out to get more in.

Like I said, quality is questionable. We have 6 attackers. So depth, yes, quality, meh..

This is where I think the owners could play hardball with klopp and say, u need to ship some out to get more in.
    'Depth' is meaningless without quality. If it wasn't we might as well add the tea lady and groundsman to our squad.

We've already shifted on a fair few players, with a few of them raising a decent wedge, hence why we have a net spend of less than £20m per season under Klopp. It's Klopp that should be demanding that FSG back him or he's off, but it seems he's a 'company man', just as most people are these days.

Much as I wish he was given more funds - he signed a contract with the club. He will hopefully honour that. I certainly wouldn’t want him speaking of about such things to the press.. would you?

Depth and quality is nothing without durability, ox matip naby and gomez all fantastic players, but it's no use in modern football. Good old fashion availability is the most important ability in modern football with the amount of games.
    Said in another thread the mentality and bodies look weak now , pushed outran and muscled off the ball more times this season than the last 4.

The problem with that is we end up with reduced numbers and take a huge hit on who we get rid of.
    We need to improve the first 11 ith one maybe 2 players and quality of the squad depth but it needs to be gradual.
    At the moment I think Klopp is well within his rights to say we've tried to manage and it hasn't worked.
    We couldn't have factored in our two best defenders getting season ending injuries.
    What we can and should have factored is that Matip can't be relied on and we knew this when Lovren was sold, Fabinho should not be playing a full season there and the 2 young lads are not good enough or too inexperienced.
    In my opinion now Matip should not enter the equation. Next season he should either be sold or is at best classed as a 4th option at CB.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    The problem with that is we end up with reduced numbers and take a huge hit on who we get rid of.
    We need to improve the first 11 ith one maybe 2 players and quality of the squad depth but it needs to be gradual.
    At the moment I think Klopp is well within his rights to say we've tried to manage and it hasn't worked.
    We couldn't have factored in our two best defenders getting season ending injuries.
    What we can and should have factored is that Matip can't be relied on and we knew this when Lovren was sold, Fabinho should not be playing a full season there and the 2 young lads are not good enough or too inexperienced.
    In my opinion now Matip should not enter the equation. Next season he should either be sold or is at best classed as a 4th option at CB.
    You could argue that we are trying to build that squad depth.

We added Jota and Thiago.
    We added Minamino midway through last season
    We do need to add some more but it's not an "overnight" process.

The injuries and general fatigue of players has caught up with us. In an ideal world - we could be rotating the front three with Jota and Minamino. Using Ox, Thiago, Gini, Jones, Shaq, Hendo,, Milner, Fab etc in rotation in the midfield - but having VVD, Gomez and Matip out with injuries to other has screwed us.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    You could argue that we are trying to build that squad depth.

We added Jota and Thiago.
    We added Minamino midway through last season
    We do need to add some more but it's not an "overnight" process.

The injuries and general fatigue of players has caught up with us. In an ideal world - we could be rotating the front three with Jota and Minamino. Using Ox, Thiago, Gini, Jones, Shaq, Hendo,, Milner, Fab etc in rotation in the midfield - but having VVD, Gomez and Matip out with injuries to other has screwed us.
    Totally agree. Its just that when these injuries have required that squad depth to be implemented its obvious they aren't upto scratch. Granted its rare that a situation arises where so many are needed at one time but the it still in my opinion highlights our shortcomings.
    Klopp clearly doesn't fancy Minamino in my opinion, he's barely had a minute.
    I'd class Ox and Keita as deadwood that we would struggle to shift. Players who in the big picture are barely available, contribute very little but cost a fair amount and are on expensive contracts I'd imagine.
    Matip being out with injury should be factored in at the beginning of most seasons.

If some of the moves came off as often as Matip does, we'd be well on our way to retaining the title.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.