Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: The rest of the season

Klopp is the best manager we have had in the last 30 + years..thats obvious and I don't want him to ever leave..But of late hes done some strange things in decision making. (not that im any form of expert). Just some of the choices his made in players on the pitch has me confused. Take Minamino he played his best game for us against Palace and he was never seen again.
    Any decent offer in the summer and he will be gone.we wont see him again full stop. Its the same last night.. I know Mane is not fit.But our left side was strange. I dont even know who was playing there even now.

we had options in the sense Oxlade could have played there and come in on his right.. Jones has played there a couple of times as well. Shaqiri was never going to keep the width on the left.Guess Origi is not fancied at all.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    This is where I am at too. For what its worth.
    I dont see why lasnite we needed both Gini and Milner, especially after the latter had played on sunday and hes 35.
    Jones came on sunday and made a difference yet was benched again, Ox- god knows what he does or does not do in training but if you cant get a game at home against Brighton in place of our veteran who had played 3 days before its not looking good for you.
    The likes of Wijnaldum, Milner, Henderson (when he's actually played in midfield) etc are for the most part 'functional' at best. They inject some energy into midfield, and they give our defence a bit of protection, but not much else. Once you remove or reduce the amount of 'energy' they give (which was always going to happen e.g. being overplayed, Milner's age etc), you are left with a midfield that offers practically zero.

If Klopp isn't playing certain players, we really should be asking serious questions as to why this is, especially given how p.poor our squad is in terms of fit, quality options. If the likes of Minamino, Chamberlain, Jones, Tsimikas, etc can't get a game under current circumstances, when will they? It seems that Klopp just doesn't rate/trust them, which then raises serious questions as to whose idea it was to bring these players in, and why they were brought in.

We have a fair few players who are either injury plagued, and/or just not rated by Klopp. In order to get us back on top we need to shift out all of these players and replace them with, fit, quality players, ones that Klopp does actually want to play. However as it stands I just can't see the second part of that equation happening, and we 'all' know why that is.

I wouldn't say Henderson is 'functional at best'. I think one of the reasons we have dipped is because he is playing at the back and not in midfield.
    I think we are just also generally having a reaction to three years of unbelievable mental concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    What difference has Thiago made to the team ? Answers on a postcard.
    Not had the best of luck since joining us with his own and others injuries, with the team not performing to it's best.
    By my eye he looks to add some tempo to our passing in midfield, has better spatial awareness than the others in midfield and can ping a pass. Does his caring share off the ball and isn't shy of getting stuck in to it.

Statistically... PL ONLY he hasn't played in the CL yet.

Hes had the most shots per game of our midfielders
    For a short arse hes won as many headers per game as any of our midfielders
    Has made as many tackles per game as fabinho in the squad, the most interceptions per game in the squad, and following on the most tackles&intercepts per game.

For example Gini has made 1.6 tackles-or-assists per game compared to Thiagos 4 tackles-or-assists per game.
    He has 2.6 fouls per game, a few yellows too, so hes breaking up play a lot relatively.

Hes second for dribbles per game to Mane.
    Of our midfielders only shaq has more key passes per game. Thiago has the most long passes per game in the squad.
    His passes per game is high too. Of our midfielders only Fabinho and Hendo have been dispossessed less. Both beat him on passes per game as well but maybe these last few stats are down to their playing CB a bit this season.

Fair share

Also fabinho has more headers won per game, hes tied with Gini.

people expect thiago to play at his best when he's not played much for us and had a injury-stop-start season so far for us.... but no posts about giving him time to "settle"

yet putting davies in against Brighton... is crazy and the last thing that should be done, and carry on playing midfielders there... and at least he's been in this country and played divison below so kinda use to it

this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Skyebo, as with a lot of things you make such remarks about, pretty much the same as a lot of others to be fair, just please try, if you have it in you, to compare apples with apples, not with pineapples, way too many stupid things said and questioning of players going on here comparing performances and players to the last 2 seasons when we played with an incredibly settled 14 or 15 of our very best players and started the best 11 of those practically every game, when VAR was actually being used for the purposes of its inception and we didn't have a ridiculous fixture schedule, when this season is entirely different, trying to measure Thiago, Bobby any of them against theirs or other players form and performances of the last 2 seasons is a fucking nonsense

Let's maybe ask these questions when we get back to full strength and players have had a run of games with 9 or 10 of our best players, it would be more relevant
    It was a simple question

He didn't ask you why the toilet was blocked

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    I wouldn't say Henderson is 'functional at best'. I think one of the reasons we have dipped is because he is playing at the back and not in midfield.
    I think we are just also generally having a reaction to three years of unbelievable mental concentration.
    I said "for the most part". Yes Henderson can play a nice pass, and he can score the odd quality goal, but neither happen often enough to say that they are a 'major' part of his game. He is however one of our most consistent players. With those things being the case, yes of course we would miss his presence in midfield, however our problems run much, much deeper than simply Henderson being played out of position.

We have a thin/weak as pee squad, meaning that as soon as we have a few injuries, or have a few players off form, we start having serious problems. One of our major issues is that we are not creative or clinical enough in attack, and a large part of that is because our midfield effectively offers very close to the sum total of sod all when it comes to goals and creativity. That puts huge pressure on the same three players to come up with the goods game after game. All three have at best been 'inconsistent' as of late, never mind that Mane is missing. That and our defence not being watertight means that the opposition currently only have to score a solitary goal to have a good chance of getting a good result against us.

We have a good (but not unimprovable) first XI, one or two decent options (e.g. Jota when not ruled out by a moment of insanity/stupidity), but beyond that the drop off in quality, fitness, and consistency (in a good way) is humongous. That has been the case for far, far too long and it needs to stop, however under FSG I doubt it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post

this forum
    And again

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    A decent run in the CL with some effort being shown, finish in the top four and I'll be happy with that.

Miracles do happen, but they need to happen with how we play first.
    In terms of the Champion's League, plus some improvements in how we play, I really hope we manage to get past Leipzig, even if it's an underwhelming scrape or grind.

If I'm not mistaken (and there aren't any Covid-influenced changes) we wouldn't play a Quarter-final until the 6th or 7th of April. In footballing terms, two months is a pretty long period of time, which would hopefully give us the opportunity to have bedded in one of the centre-backs and a more settled midfield could potentially go into the first leg with a little bit of rhythm.

Just want to beat Leipzig in any manner to give ourselves that chance.