Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: The rest of the season

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    This is where I am at too. For what its worth.
    I dont see why lasnite we needed both Gini and Milner, especially after the latter had played on sunday and hes 35.
    Jones came on sunday and made a difference yet was benched again, Ox- god knows what he does or does not do in training but if you cant get a game at home against Brighton in place of our veteran who had played 3 days before its not looking good for you.
    Fox has barely played this season, guess klopp trying to build up the brittle fella. Seems to have an issue with a few of those in the squad. Naby & Matip similar, Gomez a little less so.

Jones has done well enough but everytime I've seen him play he seems to be playing within himself. When he gets his chances he needs to get stuck in and push himself to do a lot more with the ball.
    Harsh criticism as I think his ability or ceiling is far higher than his contributions.
    Compared to old man Milner, Jones has been a bit too tame and reserved imo.

4231 the other night would have worked best imo, Milner left, Shaq right and Bobby off Salah.

Re Thiago he has played around 8-10 absolutely sublime balls across his games that were he playing in a settled system with the same 14-15 players week in week out would have resulted in a forward being on the end of them to assist or score, but the players aren't yet alive to what he can deliver from where because they've not had enough games with him in a settled side
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Re Thiago he has played around 8-10 absolutely sublime balls across his games that were he playing in a settled system with the same 14-15 players week in week out would have resulted in a forward being on the end of them to assist or score, but the players aren't yet alive to what he can deliver from where because they've not had enough games with him in a settled side
    I think he's done quite a bit of defensive work too that's gone unnoticed, at times a little rash but makes a change a player getting stuck in!

although I hope he saves most of it for everton I don't care, break some fkin legs

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Our best season imo was the 18/19 season where we had more tactical flexibility than last season.

Really our main issue is breaking down these stubborn defensive units.
    Whether that be an Atletico or a lower table side. The low block which we did get better at breaking down probably needs more tactical variation. Sacrificing a workhorse for a bit more flair.

One of the obvious differences between ours and peps city is the dynamic between wide forwards and fullbacks. They often play their attackers extremely wide which stretches the defense and makes runners from deep task of finding space easier.

Whether that be an inside run for a fullback to get a shooting opportunity or a midfielder breaking forward centrally. Both potentially getting into crosses too.
    Our wide forwards given their greater skill on the ball, particularly Salah with his close control dribbling but Mane too when pinned wide are a far greater threat than Robbo or Trent who typically provide the width in our attacking phases.
    You can't leave a player 1v1 with either in a wide position as if either beats a solitary man has a bit of momentum they are hard to stop.

Player quality will always have an impact naturally enough, but more tactical variation would benefit us massively imo. Also copying a few tweaks from peps setup wouldn't be the worst idea
    A few people believe it's their midfielders that make the difference, ie player quality, but their approach to possession football, wide wide forwards against buses can't be overlooked imo.

There are probably 6 or 7 sides we could use this approach with each season and they are sides who I'd normally expect to be dispatched with ease by city.
    When struggling against defensive tactics I wonder why Klopp doesn't try switching Salah and Mane to their natural sides to try and stretch defences. Or play 3 at the back and give licence for Trent and Robbo to all out attack

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    When struggling against defensive tactics I wonder why Klopp doesn't try switching Salah and Mane to their natural sides to try and stretch defences. Or play 3 at the back and give licence for Trent and Robbo to all out attack
    Possibly because he/we only have one main way of playing, hence why you can often tell in the first ten to fifteen minutes how our games are liable to play out. I know some won't like to hear, never mind admit that's a possibility, but the evidence suggests that it definitely is.

They just need to speed the game up. We're far too pedestrian at home. As soon as any space opens up we're not quick enough to exploit it.

It's a capable squad, when everyone is fully fit. But when you're missing half a side you're going to struggle.

Tactically, the only change I would make against the 'bus parkers' is to not play Gini and Thiago together. And i'd be more inclined to leave Gini out in these games. He's fantastic in games against bigger sides but he keeps hold of the ball for too long and tends to pass backwards in too often iin the games against the smaller teams.

Assuming that we Fab back or we play one of the new CBs my midfield against the poor sides would be something like -

Henderson - Thiago - Jones/Ox/Keita
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    So basically, what you're saying is, those 8-10 balls didn't find a team mate, they went to an opponent ?. What we should do now is call those passes wasteful instead, because if that would have been Fabinho attempting them, that's how you would have described them. It's only fair don't you think ?. When these so called sublime passes regularly find a team mate, i will gladly praise him for his contributions, until then i will continue to be puzzled as to why he's yet to make a difference to the team. Criticising youngsters who have only just come into the team seems to be normal, but when a player has won so many titles, has to wait until certain players are alongside him before he shows his true form then maybe he isn't or won't be as good as people think.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Possibly because he/we only have one main way of playing, hence why you can often tell in the first ten to fifteen minutes how our games are liable to play out. I know some won't like to hear, never mind admit that's a possibility, but the evidence suggests that it definitely is.
    Agree. It isn't what anyone wants to hear but its definitely evident.
    We cant carry on regardless even when everyone is fully fit. Something needs to change.
    The two main issues of low block teams and Firminos role/form aren't new. This has been happening for over a year now and is getting worse, results show that.
    We had a fully fit side for all of last season and still came up against stubborn sides, we just had a lot of luck go our way.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Klopp is the best manager we have had in the last 30 + years..thats obvious and I don't want him to ever leave..But of late hes done some strange things in decision making. (not that im any form of expert). Just some of the choices his made in players on the pitch has me confused. Take Minamino he played his best game for us against Palace and he was never seen again.
    Any decent offer in the summer and he will be gone.we wont see him again full stop. Its the same last night.. I know Mane is not fit.But our left side was strange. I dont even know who was playing there even now.

we had options in the sense Oxlade could have played there and come in on his right.. Jones has played there a couple of times as well. Shaqiri was never going to keep the width on the left.Guess Origi is not fancied at all.
    His recent press conference suggests the term mental fatigue had nothing to do with mental health (which isn’t a diagnosis) fair enough. Says we just weren’t fresh enough. Has lallana pissed off with the Nivea sponsor??

Not sure how much fresher you can be?

Think Steveo or cctv mentioned that we should’ve freshened up the squad to be able to compete in one of the transfer windows. On the highest level. Quality and quantity have to be used in combination here. The likes of united, Chelsea and City to an extent dominated because they had a subs bench better than most teams.

No true competition in the ranks at all and when there’s is, they aren’t used when they’re playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    So basically, what you're saying is, those 8-10 balls didn't find a team mate, they went to an opponent ?. What we should do now is call those passes wasteful instead, because if that would have been Fabinho attempting them, that's how you would have described them. It's only fair don't you think ?. When these so called sublime passes regularly find a team mate, i will gladly praise him for his contributions, until then i will continue to be puzzled as to why he's yet to make a difference to the team. Criticising youngsters who have only just come into the team seems to be normal, but when a player has won so many titles, has to wait until certain players are alongside him before he shows his true form then maybe he isn't or won't be as good as people think.
    Nineteenx is also obsessed with the diagonal balls. He doesnt seem to grasp theres fuck all space in between the fullback and wide man to play it. In fact half the time Salah is being man handled . since its Salah the refs and linesmen cheat and ignore it. So there you have it.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century