Thread: Liverpool Premier League goals 19/20

Liverpool Premier League goals 19/20

1. Long ball by Robbo, percentage shot from Origi put in his own net by a defender
    2. Long ball releases Trent, to Salah, his attempted pass shot is blocked, Bobby picks it up and feeds Mo to score
    3. Virgil header from a corner
    4. A move involving numerous passes, switches to Trent, crosses from deep for Origi to head home
    5. Wijnaldum and Milner release Mane in front of the defence, he scores a fine individual goal
    6.Bobby scores after being fed by Mane who nicked it off a defender in our high press
    7. Matip header from a corner
    8.Mo penalty
    9. Long ball by Fab underhit, Mo comes to it, tricking Luis by then letting it run, storms forward to score
    10. Trent tries to cross from deep to the far post, it takes a deflection and goes in
    11. Bobby intercepts a poor pass from a defender near halfway, feeds Mane, goal
    12. Long ball out of defence to halfway by Matip, picked up by Bobby, feeds Mo, he makes a mess of it, it breaks to Bobby, goal
    13. Ball played wide to Robbo level with Mane outside the full back, Mane between fb and RCB, Robbo's touch takes him past the FB, feeds Mane, superb finish
    14. Matip and Bobby crowd out the opposition CM on half way, Bobby comes away with it, feeds Mane, goal
    15. Ball played into Mo, feeds Bobby, lovely flick between 2 defenders by Bobby back to Mo, Mo scores

I've just got to goal 15 and it is the first goal we have scored actually playing through a team, this is what I mean on my 'Playing like Champions' thread and with my constant whining about ditching our direct stuff and trying to play through sides. Note also some of these are coming against park the bus sides who are deep

16. Trent free kick
    17. Bobby header from a Robbo free kick
    18. Wijnaldum speculative shot into an area we have 2 forwards, keeper fluffs it
    19. Long ball from deep wide left played down the line to centre taking out 2 players, Mane scores
    20. Milner pen
    21. Low ball in by Robbo, clipped on it's way across goal ny Keita I think, Lallana score
    22. Ball lifted towards Bobby by Fab, Bobby goes under it, Captain fantastic is following up to score
    23. Salah penalty
    24. Left footed ball from deep outside the box from Mane to the far post, Robbo scores
    25. Mane scores from trent's corner
    26.Fabinho boomer from a not too clever clearance from our counter
    27. Mo header from Robbo's bouncing bomb cross from deep over the first CB behind the second after Robbo's released getting ahead of midfield by a brilliant switch from Trent
    28. Robbo released wide from deep, feeds Bobby who turns it inside to Mane who scores
    29. Ball bundled in by Bobby after it bobbled about after a trent corner
    30. Virgil header from a Trent free kick
    31. Virgil header from a Trent corner (same game as 30.)
    32. Mane release from deep, feeds Origi with a perfectly weighted pass to score
    33. Mane released from deep with a Trent switch plays in Shaqiri to score
    34. Long ball over the top by Virgil, brought down by Origi to score
    35. Break from a corner, Mane feeds Trent wide left follows up play, Trent drives forward, plays is back to Mane on the edge of the box to score
    36. Bobby jinks past a player wide left, feeds Gini who scores
    37. Pin point 40 yard ball over the top of a defence camped just 5 yards outside their box for Oxlade to score from LFWD

Some great goals there, only one where we weren't incredibly direct and did things really quickly, I'll stop there. Some of those goals are against PTB sides, more of the ones from the second half of the season will be, a lot on the counter, a lot from set pieces.

I'm sure everyone gets the idea, ditching being as direct, overpassing and overplaying and trying to play through teams most of this season when we didn't win anything doing that and never played like that was a shit idea, 2 of the next 5 goals came from long balls from Virgil over a defence on the edge of their box to find Lallana to assist Mane, then Robbo to assist Mo.

The positioning and anticipation to win second balls and later runs from full back to make an overload at either far post for a cross and one forward or midfielder dropping off to a great position just outside the box to win any second ball it desperately missing this season looking at all our goals so far in last, if you're not playing the same and being direct, the positioning of those players in the moments you do will drop off significantly and it has
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Switches have been sorely missed and lacking too and the attempted long balls dropping just over defences camped on the edge of their 18 yard box we had so much joy from, Hendo's seen them plenty of time, and Mane or Robbo have been making the run, but he's then gone short, I've commented on this a few times, he either has a thigh issue OR, he has been told to stop playing them and try to play through sides, I honestly think it's the latter, it's like we ditched all the things that made us so consistent and serial winners and tried to play like Wenger's Arsenal of his later years there

Ok
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

We seem to do better passing the ball forward quickly, rather than sideways and backwards.
    I've mentioned it before, we don't seem to attack teams as much as we have previously.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    We seem to do better passing the ball forward quickly, rather than sideways and backwards.
    I've mentioned it before, we don't seem to attack teams as much as we have previously.
    A large part of that is because our midfield lacks pace, creativity, and incisiveness. Add in fatigue, which would also diminish our forward's pace (a large part of what made/makes them potent) and it's not hard to see why we have been toothless in attack at times.
    Last edited by RedNoodle; 7th February 2021 at 07:29 PM.

Think every player needs to learn how to "dive like a sterling" - because the only way we're scoring much is from penalties !

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    That s because it is hugely taxing to play that way. A point so many have difficulty grasping.

Think you can get that from any group relentlessly for 3/4 years without a break down? I don’t see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    That s because it is hugely taxing to play that way. A point so many have difficulty grasping.

Think you can get that from any group relentlessly for 3/4 years without a break down? I don’t see it.
    Well use your brain and change tac then, I don't think we've been "full throttle" for a while tbh not just this season

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

Well UAE FC aren't having any difficulty grasping it, they've been playing more like us at our best since they took a few hits early season rejigging their set up, with that additional midfield creativity we bought Thiago for, I thought to compliment that directness and give us more ability in possession when we have a two goal plus lead as UAE FCs do.

UAE FC have been doing it all season since the early season, hate to admit it, but they're an absolute joy to watch, they've introduced the switches we've ditched into their game, they are very direct when the opportunity to do so is there, they play the percentages as with their second and fourth goals today, they've got their full backs involved other than just being an extra body for another short pass that were never going to do anything but were simply there to try and draw defenders out. They've pretty much done everything I said they needed to do and catch us and are a far cry from the overpassing tappy tappy "Don't shoot Vinny" outfit of 18-19.

I'm actually beginning to suspect that Pep reads here even if Jurgen obviously doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Well UAE FC aren't having any difficulty grasping it, they've been playing more like us at our best since they took a few hits early season rejigging their set up, with that additional midfield creativity we bought Thiago for, I thought to compliment that directness and give us more ability in possession when we have a two goal plus lead as UAE FCs do.

UAE FC have been doing it all season since the early season, hate to admit it, but they're an absolute joy to watch, they've introduced the switches we've ditched into their game, they are very direct when the opportunity to do so is there, they play the percentages as with their second and fourth goals today, they've got their full backs involved other than just being an extra body for another short pass that were never going to do anything but were simply there to try and draw defenders out. They've pretty much done everything I said they needed to do and catch us and are a far cry from the overpassing tappy tappy "Don't shoot Vinny" outfit of 18-19.

I'm actually beginning to suspect that Pep reads here even if Jurgen obviously doesn't
    Can you please stop calling them uaefc it’s fucking cringeworthy