Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121516171819202122

Thread: Under-investment

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    We shall see.

So glad we have that money in the bank - with interest rates where they are we could make literally a good few Bob. Priorities
    I was hoping you'd reply to some of the points and questions presented.

From the Echo, using “since we won the Champions League in 2018” as a measure for recent net spend and comparing us to the big 6. As you can see we have actually brought more in than we have spent since winning the Champions League.

“Net spend is another metric used to determine how much a club has really shelled out on transfers too.

And since Liverpool became European champions, they have recouped £85.14m - meaning their total net spend on transfers during this time is positive £1.39m, since they have made more money than they've spent.

Harvey Elliott's potential fee has not been included in that yet, however, since it is yet to be decided in court.

However, that incoming figure includes the £23.4m departure of Rhian Brewster, the £10.8m exit of Dejan Lovren, the £19.98m for Danny Ings, the £6.48m for Ryan Kent and £6.3m for Simon Mignolet. A payment of £8.82m for Ki-Jana Hoever, £3.51m for Ovie Ejaria and loan fees of £1.17m and £2.43m for Harry Wilson, £1.8m for Marko Grujic and £450k for Taiwo Awoniyi make up the rest of the total.

Now, again during that same time for outgoing transfers; Man City brought in £117.59m, United saw £89.62m added to their funds, Chelsea had an injection of £193.11m, Tottenham made £70.02m and Arsenal recouped £65.08m.

That means, since Liverpool lifted the Champions League trophy in 2019, each club's transfer net spend is as follows:

Liverpool: +£1.39m (*Elliott fee to be decided)

Man City: -£181.56m

United: -£189.63m

Chelsea: -£69.89m

Tottenham: -£163.08m

Arsenal: -£154.9m

Clearly, Liverpool's model - which seems to rely on sales before major purchases - is a much more cautious one when compared with that of their rivals.

Such an approach allows them to keep financially stable at all times and even when the unthinkable happens, such as a worldwide pandemic, the Reds will emerge on the other side in a much more healthy position than those around them - which is most certainly a positive.“

We shall see.

So glad we have that money in the bank - with interest rates where they are we could make literally a good few Bob. Priorities
    Just to repeat steveo, it's worth bearing in mind that FSG invested far more on transfers in the 5 years prior to Klopp than the 5 years with Klopp.

The under investment could very well be under his guidance. Some of those germans are very thrift and plan for the future, a nation aghast at hyper inflation from the post war era.
    He's brought a lot of influence away from the training field and pitch to the club

It's inconceivable imo to suggest that FSG brought him in and weren't willing to match the backing they gave BR in the transfer market.
    After all he would do better than Br, and secondly if fsg are so tight thered be no chance they were giving Rodgers bigger investments than Klopp when revenue has grown so much.
    Last edited by CCTV; 9th February 2021 at 09:10 PM.

EDIT @miller - It is a model that is utterly reliant on a Jurgen Klopp. Let’s hope they grow on trees.

I do like the sound of the last para though.

Hopefully it comes to pass. As the saying goes - If you’ve got your health...
    Last edited by Steveo; 9th February 2021 at 09:09 PM.

It is a model that is utterly reliant on a Jurgen Klopp. Let’s hope they grow on trees.

I do like the sound of the last para though.

Hopefully it comes to pass. As the saying goes - If you’ve got your health...
    I agree with you here Klopp is the difference.

We have seen this with how Man United have performed since Ferguson left.

My one big fear with social media around is if we completely collapse and finish 8-9th FSG could do something stupid.

We thought we were smart last time we got rid of Rafa for the serial winner Roy I mean you can see why we swapped em when you look at each others CV.

Why i say I hope the owners go before Klopp however he does he won't be around forever and whoever comes in won't be able to do as good with some limits, unless there's some miracle

it's why fsg went for him in the first place