Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-investment

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Theres a slight difference in stature of club though Steveo. I believe im right. we have only finished outside the top 6 once in the last 50+ years. We need to invest to compete for number 1.Not top 6,. we get that without usually trying.
    I know - you are preaching to the converted

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Prepare to be amazed.
    The thing is when they did invest in the team with the best,ie Ali and Virgil we won the lot which brings in more money than they could've dreamed of. They need to trust Edwards and Jurgen on player recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    The thing is when they did invest in the team with the best,ie Ali and Virgil we won the lot which brings in more money than they could've dreamed of. They need to trust Edwards and Jurgen on player recruitment.
    'They' didn't 'invest'. They bought those two players with the Coutinho money. Other than that 'they' have 'invested' next to sod all in the team/squad, hence why we have a five year net spend of LESS than £20m per season. That is beyond pathetic, more so when you consider that we are the fifth richest club in the world.

Bit harsh on fsg to be fair, i cant think of another club thats been in the premier league last 3 seasons that has spent anything noteworthy upgrading their ground or training complex except spurs ( who are prob fkd now fimancially and cant afford to pay maureen off).
    When and only when the anny rd is finished will i believe their will be a decent xfer kitty to spend yr on yr. And thats around the time jurgen is supposed to be handing over the reins

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    We sold Coutinho to fund that Ian. That isn’t really investment.

The fact that our only top of the bar signings came as a result of a huge sale speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by sydenham red View Post
    Bit harsh on fsg to be fair, i cant think of another club thats been in the premier league last 3 seasons that has spent anything noteworthy upgrading their ground or training complex except spurs ( who are prob fkd now fimancially and cant afford to pay maureen off).
    When and only when the anny rd is finished will i believe their will be a decent xfer kitty to spend yr on yr. And thats around the time jurgen is supposed to be handing over the reins
    The money spent on the stadium and training ground are not 'sunk costs'. When they finally sell up they will almost certainly get back more than what those initial investments cost.

They've ruined our chance of carrying on at the top, and winning stuff, and being the dominate team for a while, absolutely fucked it.

Thanks for what you've done but fuck you for what you aint

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    They've ruined our chance of carrying on at the top, and winning stuff, and being the dominate team for a while, absolutely fucked it.

Thanks for what you've done but fuck you for what you aint
    I think whilst the likes of City owners are around we ain’t winning title after title.

Nobody has won back to back title since they arrived other than them.

It’s ok twats like Neville/Evra/Keane saying we won three on the spin etc yeah when you were the ones spending all the money you never came up against rCity or a club with the money these have.

The pricks never EVER talk about CL funny that.

Most annoying thing for me is we only needed a player or 2...not asking them for 100's of millions

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    The money spent on the stadium and training ground are not 'sunk costs'. When they finally sell up they will almost certainly get back more than what those initial investments cost.
    Of course, but they havent sold up and they have paid the construction companies what they owed. The academy and new stands will pay for themselves over a long period and we will have the 60,000 seater without the debt that arsenal did or spurs do have. Nothing is guaranteed in top.level sport but a period of continued CL campaigns and high league finishes more than helps the total.income.
    What they cant have imagined is empty grounds or unforeseen injuries to 3 key players in 1 season.plus the zrro contribution of keita,oxlade and shaquiri who.cost £100M and a shitload in wages.

Maybe if var hadnt stiffed us and acouple of our players had more imagination to crack the low block we'd be top.of the league and sitting pretty.

Fine margins....