Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-investment

@ Taksin.

That’s all good and well, we can all pontificate about what ifs and maybe... What is tangible and clear is that our NET spend only takes a massive rise the year following Coutinho’s exit.. It would take some stretch to try and separate the two events.

Look what happened almost instantly with that spend too.

Profit made on transfers in 3 out of 5 seasons.

@Steveo

Some people are always going to try to argue against facts and substantial evidence (no matter how much of each that is provided) by desperately trying to grasp at straws/hypothetical situations that lack any substance, namely because for some bizarre reason they have taken a very questionable and long standing stance on a subject , have nailed their colours to the mast, and as a result they are simply unwilling and/or unable to ever move away from such a position.

Klopp in his interviews has intimated that he's not 'in control of' nor 'totally happy' about our (not his) transfer dealings, yet some still think he is being fully backed and that he's getting everything/everyone he wants. I would not be surprised if these people maintained this view even if at some point Klopp revealed that he wasn't backed as fully as some think.

As the saying goes, "There are none so blind as those who will not see".

The 2 teams thats spent the most are sitting 1st and 2nd. And have a good chance along with Chelsea with the FA Cup .
    We spent big and won the Champions league and the league.
    The squad needs investment or we don't win. It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    @ Taksin.

That’s all good and well, we can all pontificate about what ifs and maybe... What is tangible and clear is that our NET spend only takes a massive rise the year following Coutinho’s exit.. It would take some stretch to try and separate the two events.

Look what happened almost instantly with that spend too.
    If I thought net spend was the secret to success I would agree with you. But I don't

That chart proves that my belief is true by the way. What's happened to Arsenal's over investment?

You can keep flashing that chart every time we run into difficulties and then hide it away whenever we win the league or European Cup.

At some point you have to admit there is more to this than net spend and our success is in part due to excellent planning from the owners.

So the success we have is due to a low NET spend..? You can cherry pick any club you like - Wolves or Villa for example but you chose to pick Arsenal.

The chart is the reality of what we have actually spent.

By your logic we shiuld credit Forrest’s owners for their success in the 80’s or United’s owners for their prolonged success entirely under one manager. Ditto Barca - Real - Bayern - fill in as appropriate...Or our continued success under Shankly - Paisley - Fagan and Kenny?

It’s clear we have different views on what is actually the cause of success. That’s fine but getting uppity and ignoring NET spend is a little like putting your fingers in your ears when someone tries to explain something.

And by the way, if that's how we respond to a bump in the road, maybe we don't deserve decent owners.

The thing that has concerned me is that they sell the club because its more or less guaranteed to be sold to some idiot with too much money. If we're lucky it will be some sort of Arab nightmare who just throws ugly amounts of money at the transfer kitty and brings in whichever manager is flavour of the month. More likely it will be a consortium of some kind with infighting in the ownership structure, no track record or proper strategy, arguing about spending on marquee signings, sacking managers etc

The strategy of FSG has been meticulous, forward thinking, long term, based on intelligence and a recognition of quality in all aspects of the club.

They will be able to sell the club for a massive profit precisely because they have taken it from chaos to immaculately run in a relatively short space of time. I am in the minority of fans for seeing it that way it seems, but the market value is hard, cold value.

Those who want to believe running the club is about going into debt are really asking to have their cake and eat it.

You are mistaking the punching power of Jurgen Klopp IMO.

FSG had us where Leicester City are now - perhaps not even there. Klopp has made a monumental difference. This isn’t really a debate at all. Massive change when he walked in. Beat thing the owners ever did. Be great if they could just give him more of what he had after Coutinho’s sale.

FSG are not bad - but they don’t seem willing to back the club to challenge the big hitters. Not really their fault - but just the way it looks to me and others.

Not sure why is gets your back up so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    So the success we have is due to a low NET spend..? You can cherry pick any club you like - Wolves or Villa for example but you chose to pick Arsenal.
    I never sad that. I said net spend is obviously not the guarantee of success. Arsenal are the obvious example of a big club with more success than us in recent decades, with far greater INVESTMENT in players according to that chart, but they don't look like a club that is better run than ours or even undergoing better investment in players.

You can keep going back to Coutinho but ultimately he is fading in the story and the net spend is the wrong metric.