Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-investment

@ Taksin -

And we did sell Coutinho to fund it. It was enforced because he wanted to leave. Spending after you bag £140 million is not exactly what I would call investment. What part of that is confusing you?

people are really blind to see what FSG are making maybe not this season because of covid, but the previous ones when we you know won the champions league and prem...

obviously skimping on the squad, and doing as little as possible to get by since they've been here, only big money spend really has been from sales....

Needed 1 or 2 more players, that wouldn't of cost the earth especially if we sold the players that forever go on loan (instead of not accepting over 1m) pathetic.

-the end verdict? Stale squad- a lot of injiury prone players from bargain bucket....

Keita and Ox was a complete waste of money too, considering we don't spend much that's not cool even ox was only because he was english and a "bargain" due to contract situation, was it fuck

doubt they'll suddenly spend loads in the summer, they'll be selling up in the near future in a covid freeish world, and run away to the bank, if they do maybe they won't be going anywhere for a while

Sucess is on klopp and getting signings right, not FSG they've done good things like getting Klopp in the first place, but without him &team we'd be fucked we're lucky robbo turned out how he is, trent has progressed how he has, and gomez in a way apart from injury's (he was still cheap as fuck from charlton)... same with Salah and mane etc even henderson was cheap, will we get this lucky forever? well See Ox-Keita..... no and all of a sudden we end up being short ! and playing 35 year old milner often, (best bargain) and players that are injured most of the season or simply not good enough still hanging around stealing a living because we don't have the money to replace them.

"but top players aren't going to sit on the bench"- Not even asking for top players decent ones will do, plenty of other teams have a better bench than us.

Mid-table owners

even going go back to the start of them being owners, they're very average / poor signings or bargains that thankfully turned out well.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 7th February 2021 at 03:32 PM.

@Steveo

We sold him because it was forced. You said it yourself. You are confused about attributing motive and agency in a way that was never manifest in the real world. It’s in your head.

Some are just totally in bed with FSG. I would wager that most are young - and witnessing a top of the fable Liverpool for the first time and believe it is all down to the owners.

Some others don’t see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    @Steveo

We sold him because it was forced. You said it yourself. You are confused about attributing motive and agency in a way that was never manifest in the real world. It’s in your head.
    No sorry Taksin.

Coutinho wanted to go to Barca - we sold him for a record fee - and used that cash to spend on 3 key players.

It was a great use of the profit made on Phil. But it isn’t what I call investment.

Please cite where FSG have sanctioned anything similar to the spend in that same year without a sale.

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Some are just totally in bed with FSG. I would wager that most are young - and witnessing a top of the fable Liverpool for the first time and believe it is all down to the owners.

Some others don’t see it that way.
    If we compare it to dumb and dumber, when they sold players and bought a bunch of 20m players to make it look like we were spending.

Not in bed with the owners, however, they have built a successful baseball club and pushed on from there to a certain extent. Not that I follow MLB.

Investing in the stadium, new training ground etc. They still have to invest more to guarantee longevity. Net spend is not an issue if spent wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    If we compare it to dumb and dumber, when they sold players and bought a bunch of 20m players to make it look like we were spending.

Not in bed with the owners, however, they have built a successful baseball club and pushed on from there to a certain extent. Not that I follow MLB.

Investing in the stadium, new training ground etc. They still have to invest more to guarantee longevity. Net spend is not an issue if spent wisely.
    It becomes an issue over time

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    No sorry Taksin.

Coutinho wanted to go to Barca - we sold him for a record fee - and used that cash to spend on 3 key players.

It was a great use of the profit made on Phil. But it isn’t what I call investment.

Please cite where FSG have sanctioned anything similar to the spend in that same year without a sale.

Hello
    This is your ill discipline in argumentation again, Steveo.

You've just contradicted yourself and you won't see it, never mind admit it

post number 15
    We sold Coutinho to fund that Ian.

Post number 63
    I didn’t say the club wanted to sell Coutinho ( none of us will likely know that )

post number 71
    And we did sell Coutinho to fund it.

You need this story to paint the picture of the club as a selling club. It is not. They sold a player who they judged they could no longer keep. You have your idea of why it happened and you are sticking to it, even if you disagree with yourself.

Then you go on about being in bed with FSG, your old trope. And this one

Please cite where FSG have sanctioned anything similar

This is irrelevant to the point. As it happens this summer was pretty impressive for recruitment. And it was done during the uncertainty of Covid. I may as well ask you about when have we spent similarly during lockdown but life doesn't work like that, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    No it was Fabinho if you want to add a midfielder
    Let's say we didn't sell Coutinho and we didn't buy Naby, that would put about a 90 million extra into our net spend and leave us sitting just a few million behind spurs in the net spend table Steveo posted over the klopp years.

My impression of the sell to buy theory is that it is a useful tool in dampening down expectations and in persuading people of our lidlpool nature.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I'm not so sure that's true.

We were in for Virgil before barca were in for Phil.
    They only came in for Phil when PSG unexpectedly signed Neymar.
    Ours was a longer term target, whereas there's was a panic/shock replacement.
    We were trying to sign Virgil before Phil became a target for Barca

With Alisson, I think you can make that case but I'd suggest we'd have signed Alisson anyway. Looking at that problem area and our finances I'd speculate we might well have signed Alisson had Phil stayed.

Keita might not have become a target if Phil stayed imo.
    this seems entirely reasonable to me