Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiredness

Tiredness

Liverpool 1976/77 season
    Played 62 competitive games.
    Used 18 players but 3 of those players only made 4 appearances between them and so..
    Only really used 15 players.
    Only one sub was on the bench.
    No penalty shoot outs.
    The kit was heavy and hot.
    Physio was a wet sponge.
    Drinking culture and bad diet abounded.
    Many players had second jobs to supplement their wages.
    Travel and accommodation and communication and entertainment was nothing like it is today
    I do not remember anyone complaining of tiredness.
    These days ? Footballers complaining?
    I can understand front line workers working against the virus but yet they do not complain.

Different game today in many ways.

The diet, exercise, rest, recovery etc have mainly been utilised to get players upto a higher standard of fitness.
    Today's players run far more, sprint far more and are at a higher peak of fitness and as such run an increased risk of injury.

Another change is the life of a footballer. Obviously money is astronomical compared to yesteryears. The advent of social media, smart phones and shitebag gutter journalism means there's a many ways for life to be far more unreasonable.

Before you could have had a few pints and gone out like a normal enough young fella. Whereas today you have a hyper sensitive society around certain issues that expects a lot more from their role models.
    For example Suarez is a disgraced footballer in the UK for many, Giggs just banged his brother's wife on the side for a few years. In my mind there's no doubt that banging your brother's wife is far worse than verbally abusing a player.

The Irish team under big jack often talk about the great craic they had with fans, but you couldn't get away with it today with smart phones and twatter. Heard some of the former lfc players talking about it too, how they'd live with the 'common people' and enjoyed themselves.

Still believe the greats would make it in any era, they'd be fitter today and they'd be used to getting kicked more back in the day.
    Guess any long term injured players today would take a box to the mouth in yesteryear not seen by the ref or pl/fa (near impossible today) over an acl injury.

Modern players have everything at their disposal management-wise re sports therapy, sports science, sports psychology, media awareness.
    Players from that era were playing a game they loved.
    Playing was everything.
    Has that changed?

What has changed is the fitness of the opposition. You cant get away with play at half pace against any one any more. You would be dead on your feet by half time.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    What has changed is the fitness of the opposition. You cant get away with play at half pace against any one any more. You would be dead on your feet by half time.
    Are you proposing that players used to play at half-pace?
    I am proposing that it is relative to the circumstances and facilities at a particular time.
    But more than ever before modern players have less reason to complain of tiredness.
    They have wonderful wages, facilities, support and get rotated quite often.
    Is it the players complaining or is it the manager using this as an excuse for mismanagement?

I am not old enough for 70's football the first team I saw was Barnes Aldo Beardsley and like Sci says they could play in any era.

Players in that era wanted to play that is defo not the case now an example being the Argentina keeper sitting on United bench for 3 years disgraceful really but he is getting paid £80k a week !

Its hard to call in the 80s you played on soggy pitches with less players with hard tackles.

Now pitches are bowling greens BUT the stakes are higher now due to the money one loss and people are having an hissy fit.

I think our players can play all the games but sports science is good now so they can give the manager an idea of when a player is at risk.

Wenger introduced this and was laughed at by twats but he is a very intelligent man who was right about this.

You only have to look at some players from 80s they can barely walk and are only in their 50s or early 60s.

I did prefer footy back in the late 80s or 90s but those days are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    1Modern players have everything at their disposal management-wise re sports therapy, sports science, sports psychology, media awareness.
    2)Players from that era were playing a game they loved.
    3)Playing was everything.
    4)Has that changed?
    1) how do you think that helps them out exactly ?
    Bit like childhood imo, kids have never had more at their disposal yet childhoods are poorer

2) don't know many people who play sports they hate. Few come to hate the game and stay for the cash, not unique to footballers, when Finnan packed it in he went no contact with the game iirc, others hate the media aspect of it all.

3) still is for most

4) don't know tbh

They wake up, go to training, go home, go to sleep, get up have their dinner, play with either GF, wife or kids then go to sleep again.
    Then on repeat until match day.
    Personally I think they have too much time on there hands .

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    1) how do you think that helps them out exactly ?
    Bit like childhood imo, kids have never had more at their disposal yet childhoods are poorer

2) don't know many people who play sports they hate. Few come to hate the game and stay for the cash, not unique to footballers, when Finnan packed it in he went no contact with the game iirc, others hate the media aspect of it all.

3) still is for most

4) don't know tbh
    I read somewhere Steve Finnan had fallen on hard times and sold his Champions league medal.
    I hope that's just bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Are you proposing that players used to play at half-pace?
    I am proposing that it is relative to the circumstances and facilities at a particular time.
    But more than ever before modern players have less reason to complain of tiredness.
    They have wonderful wages, facilities, support and get rotated quite often.
    Is it the players complaining or is it the manager using this as an excuse for mismanagement?
    No to the latter.

I just think the entire pyramid of football. most teams are ultra fit. the better teams don't get chance to play at half pace..
    You can look at players playing 60 times a season in the past.. that was when subs werent allowed or only 1. They had no choice to play all the games. doesnt mean they were not tired.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century