Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Raphinha

Heres a simple question.

Who/how many summer 2019 additions do you think would have seen no slump in form as we have seen.

You don't have to be too specific on players.
    Just how many
    What positions

It's hard to grasp your thinking as when asked for details or explanations you seem to recoil.
    Say what you like about 19, you wont be left with a doubt as to what he believes.

Like, had we added Tsimikas, Thiago, Jota in summer 2019 would that have been enough to offset the drop in form ?

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Not sure what you are on about.
    Touché.

You seem to be determined to negate the obvious lack of standard practice - adding to a winning squad - that was the result of making a profit in the summer of 2019.

I have put down a clear listing of the results from a year ago ( just 6 months after that profit ) up to the end of last season and the results up to and including the Everton Game. A point where many want to try and cite as the beginning of the drop in from.

It clearly was not.

It is so super simple.

To finish off on this topic: I find you and a few others exhausting to talk to - particularly on this subject.

I really can’t be bothered. Just look at the net spend table -draw your own conclusions - look at our form table since last February. Then factor in any number of excuses you wish.

Whatever you like. I am sure you can fool yourself into believing that black is in fact white.
    Last edited by Steveo; 12th February 2021 at 08:21 PM.

We're ****ed, and a large part of that is because we've been relying on a small group of quality players for far, far too long instead of doing what we should have done by now i.e. improved our squad year on year to put it at a level that it should be for a team that has recently won both the PL and CL.

The best time to strengthen is when you're on top, not when things have already gone tits up and everyone knows you're desperate, something that is going to be further compounded by the fact that our owners are as tight as ****, and will be even more so now that they have covid as a convenient excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Touché.

You seem to be determined to negate the obvious lack of standard practice - adding to a winning squad - that was the result of making a profit in the summer of 2019.

I have put down a clear listing of the results from a year ago up to the end of last season and the results up to and including the Everton Game. A point where many want to try and cite as the begging of the drop in from.

It clearly was not.

It is so super simple.

To finish off: I find both you and Taksin exhausting to talk to.

I really can’t be bothered. Just look at the net spend table -draw your own conclusions - look at our form table since last February. Then factor in any number of excuses you wish.

Whatever you like. I am sure you can fool yourself into believing that black is in fact white.
    I agree and have agreed with you already that we should have added in summer 2019.

My questions are there for you in regards to previously how we tend to have a mid season dip around January and how come the breaks didn't rejuvenate the players. You've seen them and can reply if you like.

Didn't realise you find these discussions so exhausting.

So far my conclusion is that your proposal isn't very robust to scrutiny.
    But then it's hard to even get your take on matters like what investment in summer19 would have offset the dip in performances and results.
    Or do you mean over a longer time frame.

Dude we are only taking about 2 seasons right.

I know some of you want to make out that we have been top of the table great for 3 seasons - but we haven’t.

The top of the table form has been just the 2 seasons. So talk of any mid season slump while playing this more pragmatic game boils down to 2 seasons.

Post the evidence of a similar post January form dip in season 2018/19.

I honestly haven’t looked.

And also I do believe that the Covid break rejuvenated our players. I suggested precisely that to LEGS.

IMO we looked like we were entering a similar period to our most recent losses - last Feb just before lockdown.

The fact that we haven’t got close to the form of 2019 in 2020 or 21... is another matter.
    Last edited by Steveo; 12th February 2021 at 08:47 PM.

It's not far off 3 seasons Steveo.

The switch was flipped after the Spurs game in October and ended up in a European Cup final. Up until the wheels came off at Christmas, in over 3 years we'd lost less than 10 league games.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    It's not far off 3 seasons Steveo.

The switch was flipped after the Spurs game in October and ended up in a European Cup final. Up until the wheels came off at Christmas, in over 3 years we'd lost less than 10 league games.
    Not really 3 years is it. We had some great form before Virgil arrived as Coutinho was superb and we had a fab 4 but we lost plenty of games after Virgil arrived - too many to be top of the table and still finished behind Spurs even with Virgil.

That’s still only 2 years really - not 3

6 losses and 5 draws in 23 games starting with Virgils league debut v Swansea.

Upamecano has now joined Bayern which im relieved about dont rate him at all.

Saw some of our fans on twitter saying why dont we just pay £50-60m for him.

I mean if you watch him play he is not worth that sort of money.

We could get Kabak and Caleta-Car for £40m and thats a much better deal for us.

Rory Smith has always said Konate is our target but he seems like Matip jnr in terms of injuries but I do rate him.