Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: It can’t get any worse surely

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    I’d say we might see huge changes in the summer. Watching other teams this season even the tier of teams in and around 5th and 6th have much better quality in the bench and in midfield than us and are all playing with more energy and drive than us. Well get to see can klopp regenerate a team in this next couple of years. Be nice if we could be in a position to challenge again by 23/24 before he goes
    Depends on where we finish and even if we do make the top 4 will there be huge changes? It costs a lot of money. We need a couple of first team signings aswell as major upgrades to the bench.
    Theres a lot of deadwood on big contracts, not easy to shift them.

The only massive change in form such as we are experiencing now and from my 55 years of following football is Leicester City but their's was in the opposite direction.
    Newly promoted to the PL for 2014/15 season they were bottom of the table and 8 points from safety at the start of April 2015 but somehow managed 7 wins from their remaining 9 games and continued such form throughout the 2015/16 season to claim their first ever championship title by 10 points.
    No great money spent either.
    Wish I had put £10 on them at 5000/1 to pull it off.
    Remarkable.
    I hope we manage to reverse our firm in such a manner but we seem devoid of ideas, look toothless, spineless and headless.
    I think many teams have worked out how to play us.
    We only seem to have plan A and it has now not worked for a protracted period of time.
    Something needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    We know we haven't hit rock bottom yet if we're assuming Klopp will still be in charge.
    FSG appointed him after his season like this with Dortmund, albeit without the major injuries of officiating issues, one of the things that impressed Jurgen was that they had an understanding of just how fine the margins had been in so many of Dortmund's games that season and they bombarded him with lots of positive stats showing Dortmund had been the better team in most of their games despite the results, and it was this understanding that sealed Jurgen's decision to join us, so I don't have any doubt Jurgen will still be in charge
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    No you won’t be right because it will never be a fact.

We did lose 4 on the bounce back in 1923. Just as we might do again near season - or maybe not for a hundred years..

Facts are facts - what you think does not equate to fact.

A pretty important distinction.
    Ffs Parry !

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I'd say that's pretty much fact. Philips a guy who almost left in the summer but yet is still a genuine CB has been overlooked to play midfielders in that position.
    Crazy when you think about it and a real mistake from Klopp. The constant chop change of CBs this season has had an effect for sure, we might not be much better off had he for instance played Williams and Philips from the off together so they forged some form of partnership but I'd say having Hendo and Fab in midfield would have garnered atleast a few more points.
    The injuries have had a knock on effect on many more things aside from the just defence, its clear that its gradually eroded our confidence all round.
    The injuries
    Especially VVD and Jota

The key VAR v Everton at Goodison and at Brighton.

Then knocks the confidence.

Now in freefall.

From 30 to 40 points ... weren't we on 30 something at Xmas / New year.

2 wins in 11
    Horrendous.

Following Virgil's injury and our 7-2 defeat v Villa our firm was pretty good
    P 16
    W 10
    D 5
    L 1 v Atalanta
    Goals For 36
    Goals Against 11
    Culminating in a 7-0 away win at Palace.

Next up was WBA at home
    19th in table with new manager Sam Allardyce who had been away from the game for 2.5 years.
    Had one game in charge prior to this which WBA lost 3-0.
    Captain Jake Livermore was sent off in that game so was missing for LFC match.
    Allardyce was/is a great student of the game and had no doubt watched us many times.
    His game plan completely nullified us.
    Liverpool stats
    Possession 79%
    Shots 17 with just 2 on target
    WBA stats
    Shots 3 with just 1 on target for the equaliser.
    That game triggered a remarkable dip in form for us which we have not broken out of.
    All those trends still persist for us.
    That is where the rot started.
    Perhaps Sam has shared his LFC dossier with everyone?
    In my opinion something has been wrong following that particular game.
    Others may blame VAR and tiredness and injuries and lack of signings but we were doing alright and top of the table at the time despite significant injury problems.
    Following that good run of 16 games with just 1 defeat we have 9 points from 11 games starting with that WBA game.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Following Virgil's injury and our 7-2 defeat v Villa our firm was pretty good
    P 16
    W 10
    D 5
    L 1 v Atalanta
    Goals For 36
    Goals Against 11
    Culminating in a 7-0 away win at Palace.

Next up was WBA at home
    19th in table with new manager Sam Allardyce who had been away from the game for 2.5 years.
    Had one game in charge prior to this which WBA lost 3-0.
    Captain Jake Livermore was sent off in that game so was missing for LFC match.
    Allardyce was/is a great student of the game and had no doubt watched us many times.
    His game plan completely nullified us.
    Liverpool stats
    Possession 79%
    Shots 17 with just 2 on target
    WBA stats
    Shots 3 with just 1 on target for the equaliser.
    That game triggered a remarkable dip in form for us which we have not broken out of.
    All those trends still persist for us.
    That is where the rot started.
    Perhaps Sam has shared his LFC dossier with everyone?
    In my opinion something has been wrong following that particular game.
    Others may blame VAR and tiredness and injuries and lack of signings but we were doing alright and top of the table at the time despite significant injury problems.
    Following that good run of 16 games with just 1 defeat we have 9 points from 11 games starting with that WBA game.
    What makes you think its that game that's been the catalyst for this bad run? Surely can't be just that game.
    We did play a few park the bus teams and our scoring troubles started then like so you might be right but we had the 2 wins against Spurs and Wham were we looked much better and possibly coming out of it but its got much worse since.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    What makes you think its that game that's been the catalyst for this bad run? Surely can't be just that game.
    We did play a few park the bus teams and our scoring troubles started then like so you might be right but we had the 2 wins against Spurs and Wham were we looked much better and possibly coming out of it but its got much worse since.
    The Everton away a big day.
    The state of klopps face said it all.
    He knew that day we wouldn't win the league.

Then we seem to cope.

But then from that WBA game we just got into a rut.
    Can't score freely
    Possibly after jota injury.

The results prior to that game and the results since are in stark contrast.
    It lacks any explanation.
    It seems to me that something happened to our mindset during that game and we have never recovered from it.
    We concede too easily now from limited opportunities and have many shots at goal but few on target and those that are so often quite limp.
    The 2 wins you mentioned were quite decent but were in reality just a lull in the storm.
    It seems now that with this last run of 11 games a malaise has set in initially slowly but is now total. We appear clueless and nervous to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    FSG appointed him after his season like this with Dortmund, albeit without the major injuries of officiating issues, one of the things that impressed Jurgen was that they had an understanding of just how fine the margins had been in so many of Dortmund's games that season and they bombarded him with lots of positive stats showing Dortmund had been the better team in most of their games despite the results, and it was this understanding that sealed Jurgen's decision to join us, so I don't have any doubt Jurgen will still be in charge
    Not sure they've got stats to show we were the better team this season. And besides, it might not be their decision to make.