Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games 27/02/21

A lifeline. We have to make these count, like Miller said we are running out of 2nd chances.
    You'd hope this has to be a shot in the arm for them.

Good to see the other sides with top four aspirations finally, with just 11 games left, getting a taste of what it's like when teams park the bus against you, it's turned out well tonight, let's see how the bitters get on v West Brom parking the bus

I think those sides in around or not far off the bottom 3 might well park the bus v all the other sides looking for top four for the rest of the season, because they know how much all those teams simply have to go for it and how that could lead to them leaving themselves open
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

A lot of teams are running out of legs its to be expected. I hope we have got our second wind and start picking up results.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Yeah, it's a good time to start getting points on the Board for sure. I think the Chelsea result is best assessed after we play Fulham. Looking at the set of games of Sheffield/Chelsea/Fulham I thought 7 points would be great considering the run of losses prior, so if we draw against Chelsea I won't despair unless we fail to beat Fulham.

Equally if we beat Chelsea but lose to Fulham, that would be really underwhelming.

If we actually won all 3 matches though - what a result!

The important thing really (given how the injuries panned out) was to approach the business end (last 13 or so League games) still within touching distance of our objective. Thankfully United, Leicester and West Ham aren't exactly having sprint finishes just yet and if anything United and Leicester might be wobbling at just the right time for us.

Thee "swing" of even a couple of results can be huge so we have to fight right to the end - some fixtures could be subject to change due to Cup runs, but Leicester for example have their last 3 League matches against Man United, Chelsea and Tottenham - there is every chance they surrender a European place to another side over the span of those 3 matches. Everton's last match is against Man City. Chelsea's last 4 matches are City, Arsenal, Leicester and Villa back-to-back. Villa's last 2 are against Tottenham and Chelsea, whilst also still being set to play Spurs, us, City, Everton and Man United yet.

So unless we fall away at any stage, we cannot under any circumstances give up. There will still be more weekends where opposition results yield openings for us, right to the Wire.

Lovely stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Yeah, it's a good time to start getting points on the Board for sure. I think the Chelsea result is best assessed after we play Fulham. Looking at the set of games of Sheffield/Chelsea/Fulham I thought 7 points would be great considering the run of losses prior, so if we draw against Chelsea I won't despair unless we fail to beat Fulham.

Equally if we beat Chelsea but lose to Fulham, that would be really underwhelming.

If we actually won all 3 matches though - what a result!

The important thing really (given how the injuries panned out) was to approach the business end (last 13 or so League games) still within touching distance of our objective. Thankfully United, Leicester and West Ham aren't exactly having sprint finishes just yet and if anything United and Leicester might be wobbling at just the right time for us.

Thee "swing" of even a couple of results can be huge so we have to fight right to the end - some fixtures could be subject to change due to Cup runs, but Leicester for example have their last 3 League matches against Man United, Chelsea and Tottenham - there is every chance they surrender a European place to another side over the span of those 3 matches. Everton's last match is against Man City. Chelsea's last 4 matches are City, Arsenal, Leicester and Villa back-to-back. Villa's last 2 are against Tottenham and Chelsea, whilst also still being set to play Spurs, us, City, Everton and Man United yet.

So unless we fall away at any stage, we cannot under any circumstances give up. There will still be more weekends where opposition results yield openings for us, right to the Wire.
    It's like being back to the early 2000s! '4th is the new first!
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    It's like being back to the early 2000s! '4th is the new first!
    It's not ideal - but I think the way the season has played out we just have to take it on the chin, ensure we manage Top Four (don't care if we walk it or do it on the last day, just do it!) and see what we can do in the Champion's League.

If we step back and look at the big picture it reminds me a little of 09/10 with Rafa - only we're going for Big Ears over the Europa and probably (?!?!?!) won't finish 7 points behind 4th spot.

See where we are come the end of the Evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It's not ideal - but I think the way the season has played out we just have to take it on the chin, ensure we manage Top Four (don't care if we walk it or do it on the last day, just do it!) and see what we can do in the Champion's League.

If we step back and look at the big picture it reminds me a little of 09/10 with Rafa - only we're going for Big Ears over the Europa and probably (?!?!?!) won't finish 7 points behind 4th spot.

See where we are come the end of the Evening.
    The season that saw him sacked you mean.. Hmm

I hope to god it doesn't end in similar fashion or we are totally screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    The season that saw him sacked you mean.. Hmm

I hope to god it doesn't end in similar fashion or we are totally screwed.
    Not happen Steveo Klopp has took us to 3 European finals and a title in 5 years.

FSG arent at war like Hicks/Gillett were they were like babies one wanted Rafa the other didnt.

Only way Klopp leaves this summer is on his terms and I dont see him going...remember he hasnt had the chance of a full Anfield since the title that will be a great moment for him.

I am not expecting that scenario at all. Just suggesting IF it does we are stuffed.

Henry would be bat shit crazy to sack Jurgen in almost any circumstance.

But were it to pan out in similar fashion to 2009/10... with such a huge drop off the season following a belter - you just never know.

Also Nobody can be sure Klopp won’t decide he has had enough.

Nobody knows regardless of what they say. How many would have predicted our points tally at this stage of the season - back in the summer?