Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Chelsea

Old LFC mantra
    In times of trouble don't change a winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Old LFC mantra
    In times of trouble don't change a winning team.
    Nobody dared get injured in the good old days. If they were it would take them weeks to get back in.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Did do my best to explain (and apologise) in your "Your team v Manc United" thread.

6th page of the site, 14th page of the relevant thread.

Compulsions can be really strong for me at times and resisting them can be quite physically uncomfortable. I do plenty to try to keep on top of ticks. Tried to avoid going into too much detail as I didn't wish to seem "woe is me" which I think are words I used in January, though I can't remember the precise details.

I do try, I assure you.
    You're not alone sid, the irrational and quirky applies to me too and maybe another (or more on here more widely) with respect to this saga

I did usurp your long standing throne under the irrational belief that I could change our teams fortunes by interrupting the rut of results
    I believe my your team thread game got a better result (a draw) than your one preceding it and 19s following it both losses iirc.
    But haven't done so since as it puts you off kilter a little.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Jones isn't a frontman, and pick Thiago and you're already as good as a man short.
    Fair enough, I'd have us playing more defensively in a 4231.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    I thought so, all down to Fabinho.
    Not entirely, he was fouled for WBAs equaliser and that goal should never have stood

When you play a high pressing and counter pressing game it is however of paramount importance you have midfielders who don't allow that to be regularly and routinely broken, CM being the most important

There's actually an article on Sky Sports which is intended to be a glowing tribute to Fab, it goes into detail that he doesn't play right across the line and spends a lot of time in the opposition half and there's a heat map as part of it

Any half decent opposition manager reading that would set up with players for transition and counters in the area and space he leaves between himself and our CBs and wide behind either full back he doesn't cover and unfortunately that's exactly what they do and he becomes 'The man who makes gaps appear' for the opposition
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Well we only conceded 2 goals in those 3 games and one of them was a foul so the dropped points certainly weren’t down to Centre Backs.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Well we only conceded 2 goals in those 3 games and one of them was a foul so the dropped points certainly weren’t down to Centre Backs.
    That's not what we were discussing, it got skewed to talking about other things through SKyebo replying to a post with something that wasn't at all relevant to the post as ever

Fab would be my first choice at CB with who is currently available, he has made some mistakes there, but what he has done really well eclipses the mistakes at CB, he needs to stop the 'trying to leave one on a player' that crept in after a few games, and so does Thiago while we're on the subject, we're Liverpool, if he gives the officials any opportunity whatsoever to give a pen or free kick against us, they will, there are no need for the silly fouls he started getting involved in.

He was at fault for the Burnley penalty, his needless and stupid tug on Barnes meant Alisson checked and had to readjust and ended up giving away the pen as a result, when how he had set off before the tug, he would have met Barnes in a position it was easier for him to save than for Barnes to score or win a penalty

Not the easiest selection at CB this one given who Chelsea might or might not start, Fabinho would definitely come straight back in for me, but who to partner him with, if Giroud was starting Id absolutely start Phillips as even without him Chelsea are very strong in the air from set pieces and neither Fabinho or Kabak are good aerially, so we need at least one CB who can head the fucking thing

All said and done, because of the potential for Giroud to start and their strength at set pieces I'd probably go

Alisson

Trent Phillips Fabinho Robertson

Thiago Wijnaldum Jones

Salah Firmino Mane

I expect to see one full back stays one goes like the last game and one CM goes 2 stay like the last game for a lot of it, I think the one goes 2 stay in midfield gives a bit more security and license for the other full back to constantly take up good positions for those later well timed runs into the space left or right to be found with switches and open things up with 3 forwards and an attacking mid ahead of them

Really really need to win this game, big ask when so depleted and with them at full strength, but by no means undoable, we will need our switches, they were very effective for both sides in their game v the filthy, finding players in isolation in yards and yards of space on the opposite side from where play had been condensed on numerous occasions, they need to be absolute quality, quickly up and down switches though, when they're in the air too long, players get across while our player's waiting for thee ball to arrive and the opportunity to attack with space is gone

It was mostly the full backs of either side found with the switches in their last game, making those well times runs from a little deeper just behind the 2 in the centre of midfield, a particularly good skill of Robbo's

I think Mane will be key, he has given James plenty of problems when he's come up against him before and I don't see him coming up against Hudson Odoi if he's fit making any difference, but we will need to get Robbo, Bobby or Jota and Jones quickly in support of him, because they'll have Azpillacueta on the cover for him, who's a very good defender

On that Azpillacueta does leaves their 3 CBs to join attacks, so their right side is likely an area we can get considerable joy down, especially on counters

Big ask, tough tough game, we have Alisson, Jota and Fabinho back though and that improves things considerably, we absolutely need to win this one, we will have the option of having all four forwards on if it comes to that, no excuses, just get the fucking win

Fantasitc set of results tonight from our point of view, this is going to be a very very tough game and a very tough game to get the 3 points in, we have to go for it and give it our everything and get that win as a win for us tomorrow night would be a massive boost